the rise of iPlop.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bramsy, Feb 15, 2008.

1. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I hada hangnail...I cried

*steers train back on strack*

it will be insteresting to see what the next gen iDevice looks like.
  2. cheri

cheri Active Member

Are you the designated thread steerer now, what do you get for that? Be blessed if that is all you have had to deal with. Now dry your eyes your wife can handle the rest.

The next iDevice will hook up with the forman grill. or pricipal secret.

Or maybe even the ab roller
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

it was my good deed of the day :)
  4. cheri

cheri Active Member

if that is what u want to call it to make u feel better, ok
  5. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

Just dragging this back to the top.

I've always been fascinated with technology. Since I was at a young age. First I was a Helicopter nut and really wanted to own/fly my own chopper. (That may have been an Airwolf bias though). But really, since I first saw the VIC 20 in operation I've been fascinated by technology. When I first read about the guy who implanted an RFID chip in his arm and connected it to the lights in his house (he walks in room, lights come on. He leaves, lights go out.) I was astounded. I've followed "wearable" computers since their inception. Oddly enough, I never really thought about the Star Trek Communicator.

Where this is going has a lot to do with the Q. My first computer out of college I upgraded it to 4 megs of ram and a 256 MB hard drive. I'd be running autoCAD of course. Now, my Q has an incredible amount more processing power than that state of the art machine.

In my wanderings through the web, I came across this article.

http://tech.msn.com/news/articlepcw.aspx?cp-documentid=6183619

It's about the next 25 years in technology. It also follows my theory of "Anywhere, Right Now". That article stresses that Privacy will be the biggest point in the next few years.

Stop and Shop recently came out with a new idea. You take hand held scanners and scan each bar code as you put it in your basket. That way you know how much you're spending as you're shopping. Lets progress this further, a ring around the top of your cart is a scanner. Everytime you pass an item through it the RFID chip reads it out on the handle of your cart, along with a running tally. You place each piece right into a bag in the cart. When you've finished, you walk up to the cashier, through a door (Think: Metal Detector) and that reads the chip you have implanted in your hand. It charges your card, and you proceed to the car to unload your groceries.

Scary thing is, that technology is already here, it just hasn't been implemented.

In the next 10 years, "Anywhere, Right now" will be where technology goes. I would think that right now, with voice recognition and activation, I should be able to go days without even looking at a phone. Phone rings, blue tooth head piece reads the number to me, I accept or send to voicemail. I dial via voice, and operate it via voice.

I'm eager to see the next new step in technology.
  6. piranah

piranah New Member

im a tech addict too...i just got a XV6700 to play with...want to see what touchscreen tech is like...that being said:
    View attachment 2294

Attached Files:

7. I would have stayed with treos (I had the 650) even with all its crashes, etc. But they have priced themselves out of the market. I don't like the speed of the q compared the treo and palm os, but its ok. Palm IMHO is out of the picture and RIM is coming on strong. Windows has to become more streamlined or it will be left in the dust. Plus the cost of data plans pushes a lot of people off. If this phone was available with charges and data like other standard phones then it would sell better. But its advertised as a business phone and therefore may be more than what people think they need.
  8. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

honestly, you would think that they thought this out better, than they could corner the market (cell phone wise).

imagine cheap data plans on all their phones, or "higher end phones". heck, you see a cheap ($20) data plan on a $600 phone, you would think twice about it. and if you say you wouldnt, YOU'RE NOT TELLING THE TRUTH!

i see it kinda as GPS navigation in cars.... its creeping along slowly, to the point where most everybody will have it. it really has come a long way.

maybe it isnt the best comparison BUT i think that was the allure of the iPhono. the internet no matter the speed, LOOKS great and seems easy to navigate. where it takes us Q people 2 buttons to enlarge, then 2 more buttons to scroll, it take the iPhone people 2 swipes of their fingers...

~again another rant here... but im starting to think of the future a little. WMobile is looking bleek.
    WMPlayer is not very hot
    Vista is not at all popular
    Zune is great device, but the software is a nightmare (i got 1 for xmas)
    Windows is plugging along not 'wow'ing us anymore...

sorry if i fail to make a point here, but im a Windows guy who sees crapple taking over on sheer advertisment... yes taking over.
  9. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Even with those "extra" steps I can still navigate faster than my friend and his iPhone. Although it's moot now, he dropped it from about 3' last weekend and half of the touch screen quit working. The AT&T store wouldn't even look at it saying he has to send it to crapple to get fixed, and then (after not having his phone for a week) if they can't fix it, they may replace it.
  10. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

smartphone industry is currently chaos in development. Everyone wants to make the next best thing, but the crusty old company exec's have no clue.
  11. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

funny mike that you put it that way... "crusty old execs". we feel that way about Ford (and Matt Millen), when it comes to Detroit Lions Football
  12. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I have the fortunate (and in some ways unfortunate) experience of owning the gamut of smartphones. My current stable includes Moto Q 9h, iPhone, BB Curve and today's shipment of an AT&T Palm Centro or baby Treo.

The iPhone is a fantastic device, but it's not everything to everyone. When you're looking to surf the web, there is no better device. I love my Curve for it's seamless push email. I can tweak the hell out of my Q 9h and none of the others can touch the quality of the phone. I'd venture to say that's a pretty important feature for any smartphone and clearly Moto's technology shines through when it comes to call quality. My Q 9h also rivals the BlackBerry for power email users. The Centro is every bit a Treo, but in a truly pocketable form factor, one of the big knocks on the Treo.

Point is, there is no perfect smartphone. If you can define your usage, then you can definitely get close with one of the above. Choose incorrectly based on marketing or hype and there is a good chance it will not deliver. I think the iPhone has done nothing but increase the sails of all the others. My only concern is that some of the manufacturers overeact to the iPhone. We don't need a Moto iPhone or RIM iPhone. Motorola, RIM and Palm should concentrate on what they do best and then improve upon that. The Centro is a perfect example. While it's certainly not a breakthrough product, it's been very successful for Palm. At the end of the day, all they did was deliver the Treo experience in a smaller form factor.

It's been awfully quiet on the Motorola front. I'd suspect we'll see some news out of CTIA.

My 2 cents...

-Chris
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

@ Chris, great input.
  14. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

great input indeed... thanks!
  15. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I'm also really excited to see what moto will be offering for this years phone lineup. the 4 that were "announced" in september were interesting, but leaks only go so far.
  16. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

can u link me to said info please?
  17. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Here's the link
    But, having not heard anything about this in a while (the internet buzz died down in october) I can only assume that those 4 phones probably aren't the ones we're going to see.
  18. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

hmmm, nothing ground breaking there *sigh*
  19. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

well the buzz better get goin or we are going to be living in am iWorld. ahhhhhhhhhhhh
  20. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I refuse to live in an iWorld, not that they are bad products. But competition breeds (or should) ingenuity. I imagine we may be hearing something new in the upcoming months.