the rise of iPlop.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bramsy, Feb 15, 2008.

1. cheri

cheri Active Member

lol mine is WM5
    one thing what would improve things IMO is the ability to purchase the next version for your phone. But i doubt that will happen since so many people wont keep a phone over 2 years. But i bet there is market for updating a phones OS
  2. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

And that's the thing that kills me. By time MS develops and releases WM8, With the Q form factor be relevant? I think it will be, but the technology itself will be more capable than what the Q is.

My thought is that other technology will still be catching up to the phone. Why isn't my Printer Bluetooth capable? I should be able to print from my Q directly to my Printer.

I'm kinda staggering off-topic but I can see that Windows has a future, and it's really going to depend on how the manufacturers intergrate it into the phone. The Manufacturers will drive the future of the smart phone. If maunfacturers continue to use various different OS's it'll slow the development of the phones. I think that MS has to increase the availability of its OS for people to use.

Then again, I think there also has to be sufficient blocks put in so not everybody has to "fix" their phone.

Apple is learning that the hard way. Make their phone Proprietary to one carrier, and it only fuels the people who want to crack it.

To expand a bit, my Q was released in July '05. It's nearing on 3 years with only the Qm as a real improvement on the phone. Oh, and you can get it in Black. I've been watching the development of new phones, and haven't seen one yet that I like more than my Q. The Voyager looked really sweet, until I found out it wasn't a smart phone. I don't get my "new every two" for another 6 months and it doesn't look like there's anything on the horizon that makes me want a new phone.
  3. piranah

piranah New Member

ive played around with an iphone, and i admit, the technology is incredible for being stateside. we are a long way from catching Japan though...that being said, i never have or will own an ipod...my q works just fine...stereo bluetooth, 4 gig of music and movies, phone, all in 1...why get an ipod and a cell phone?....ive posted this before:[​IMG]

and i think its fitting, even on an ipod, you gotta search quite a bit to find a specific song or artist, where on my q i can just type it in....everybody is all about being independent, but the first to conform to what everybody else is doing when something new comes out...look, you now can have an iphone on any carrier you want (unlocked of course)...but what if i was waiting in line the day they came out?

if people would have waited, they could choose their carrier, and even gotten the phone for 300 bucks less....

i think that Der was right with all the stuff that is coming/possible in technology...having a cpu in your fridge that you simply type in your grocery list and it orders the items for you? come on, do we really need this? some might, like handicapped or elderly where its hard to get out of the home, but joe stoner who is too lazy to go out to get groceries doesnt...

everything is about customizing to how you want it, even look at our q homescreeens, the quest for perfection at its best..i admit im part of it too, but as i said, we rush out in droves to get the newest and greatest thing on the market...were conforming to become individual....

but we forget how good we have it.. i was watching Hotel Rwanda with my girlfriend yesterday, and she was telling me how her father was stuck in Rwanda for almost a year because the government wouldnt let him out, all he did was make a delivery (hes a truck driver)...they thought he was dead and everything, no contact with his family....this happens all the time in other countries, and we complain that our os is not up to date?...yes i WANT the newest os for my phone, but at the same time, i dont need it, it is, after all, a phone. granted it organizes my schedule and holds my music, but so does a daily planner and boom-box...

be happy with what you have now, technology advances fast enough that everybody will get what they want in due time...even if we do all look alike...
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

*off topic, I know.*
    That pic could make a pretty decent background.
  5. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

i wasnt saying i was unhappy. lets get that straight. but the little annoyances like the horrible calender, poor homescreens, various hacks... things that you have to perform to make this phone sweet! the calender isnt too special w/o a facade or something of that nature. the homescreens preloaded are not aesthetic, but if you know what to look for and where you can get great ones! esp here! and the hacks just kinda complete the phone. now without doing various thing to the phone that i was lucky enough to find here with you geniuses (RB and n99) i would have taken the phone back in its 1st week! even xtreme txt was late to come on the scene. don't get me wrong everybody, i love LOVE my Q, now. but it sure has been a journey.

now to get a little personal. as my sig says i had a stroke. a little over a year ago. 27 years young and >BAM<. so when it came phone time i needed something that was easy for my to operate. QWERTY was the way to go... esp coming from a TREO 650. i love this phone because of its easiness and simplicity. yes you have to learn it, and be somewhat familiar with windoze.. but its a sinch once you get it. u think a kid 18 or younger is going to pick up this device? my GF had the option of getting one and passed, to get a TREO 755. i asked her why and she said "it seems to complicated"

if a girl who knows how to navigate around phones passes on it, who says gen y (i dont know who the 14-21 age bracket is called), will be interested.

i am worried here people. yeah you can say this and that but reality has to kick in. WM has flaws pushing people elsewhere. yeah i love my Q and all that it can do, but how many people pick up the Q at the Verizon store when you visit? all this with the major announcement that Moto might be Deado.

i don't know......... sorry every1. i just had to rant
  6. cheri

cheri Active Member

hadnt known about ur stroke brams im mobile.
    Wonder when i read that if it was something hereditary.
    I hope ur recovery has been as smooth as possible.

Not every phone is for everybody. The Q suits my needs and i can customize it. I am not bored with it yet and its been near a year. Im not even itching for a new Q lol
  7. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

iDevices in general may push M$ and phone manufactures to put out better more hi tech user friendly products. A little competition may be good for the industry in general. Gone are the days of a miniscule feature upgrade and a new name(I hope).

However, many a consumer will line up for days for the next best thing and pay thru the nose to get it instead of waiting a few weeks/months when a cheaper and better version will be available.
  8. cheri

cheri Active Member

yeah what mike said!I remember one Winter my husband waited in line outside for hours for a Furbie for our daughter! Some time went by and that creepy thing started freakin out and we had to give it sensory deprivation and it finally relaxed until we sold it.
  9. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

nah cheri, the blood clot came from some mutated gene i had that forms clots...

so i went from a dominate righty to a strong lefty with a right hand that is a little weak.

i chose the Q for its ease with qwerty and i am kinda a hound in these areas, whatever that means.

i reiterate my worry about WM and its future. i worry about the mighty Q. and i worry that iEverything/google android are going to be starting points for future devices.

to be honest, the Q with Facade, XText, cheap(er) data, candlelight and that app that makes the calender appear a ton better...... with all those apps as preinstallers, this could be a perfect phone hands down!!
    seriously people, think about it. for all of you people who have 5-10 apps, and 5-10 hacks, wouldnt that be a perfect starting place for a new Q...?
  10. cheri

cheri Active Member

Just curious because of your age. Lots of OT and PT I thought too. Its similar "recovery" wise as kids with autism. Although, I dont want to get into an arguement with anyone about it. Depending how each person is affected. Neurological stuff always so facinating. . Im glad you are doing well!

I had an MD ask me if I had neurological issues when we were walking to a bank one day and I tripped for no apparent reason. I do, but dont we all to some extent.

I cant see getting bored with mi Q in the near future so I am happy with it. Ive never bought so many apps or got so many free ones that really pumped up my phone. its really a power house of a phone IMO.
  11. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

that would be too easy, wouldn't leave much for us to have to do/fix before we enjoyed the Q. :)
  12. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

im with you cheri! but my passion for this phone can last only so long.

i'm that punk that friends are amazed i have a new phone so often... my love for the phone can sadly last only so long.

i actually almost got a BB a week ago. i slipped on the ice and of course fell right on my belly and my Q was in my sweatshirts pouch. $99 was tough to pass up for a better camera and a chance for $30 unlimited data. tempting!!!

but i stuck with my Q.
  13. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

u have no idea... try waking up to half of you body paralyzed... it's coming back SLOWLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. but it is! typing with 2 hands is so much more enjoyable!!!
  14. cheri

cheri Active Member

my daughter does her typing with one hand...its a stange site but it works for her!

The closest i have gotten in bells palsey...but that is facial...most people i know dont type or do much with their face! lol Pt ive had for other injuries man that can be painful. Starting from scratch..i cant imagine.

Hey 15 bucks over time adds up.
  15. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

does using two fingers count as typing?

beiing young should help with the recovery, your typing is better than mine.....what's that say about me? Don't answer that. :)
  16. cheri

cheri Active Member

damn mike u ruined my night i had a good comment about that jk
  17. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I bet you did ..har har
  18. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

being young and athletic was HUGE in my case. i would say i'm 85% back... just a little off balence and weak armed. its the aphasia that is wierd sometimes. its a brain thing that when your rushed or working hard you get a roadblock in some pipe in your brain (summery in a nutshell). it happens a little less often now but right after the stroke i couldnt put a whole sentence together without having to think of alternative words to complete a thought. its been a long road, much like the Q.

Bells Palsy? we had a girl in H.S. who caught that for a little while because she slept with a fan blowing directly on her face everynight....... similiar cheri?

and mike, if you type with your fingers of the "home keys" asdfjkl; you can type pretty fast and accuratly! give it a whirl
  19. cheri

cheri Active Member

what was funny about the bells palsey is watching the wwo docs try to figure it out....the had a wager going of why half of my face wasnt working.

I hadnt heard the fan theory before, interesting, who knows i do like fresh aire directly on my face especially when im car sick lol. The batteling docs said it was most likely from a bug bite. Ive had some weird stuff, scarlette fever(In kindergarten) , mono (in 2nd grade), ring worm later no i didnt play in a cat box lol, i think my immune system loves the weird stuff. Thankfully my immune system has been able to fight off the weird stuff, with my history u never know whats around the corner. I feel lucky to still be alive and relatively well. There is so much more we would have to start an ailement thread...could be interesting to see who had/has what and how they overcome/came it...im always curious. lol
  20. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

interesting idea... start that thread. guidlines: keep is short/simple. try it