the rise of iPlop.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bramsy, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

the rise of iPlop.....

personally i believe that Steve Jobs is a genius advertiser of things that look great and may work great, but people DO NOT NEED. ex: Mac book air thing, iPhone, 1000's of cases/pouches and neat lanyards (he has nothing to do with the cases/puches, but there are billions of em' and it makes me a little angry/jealous).

i know there are other views on him, but i'm not wanting to debate Jobs here. i was wondering what you guys think is the future with the Q, WMobile and everything else. WMobile is nosediving (Badly) and with all this iPhone hype and having their data plans $5 cheaper for a seemingly superior device seems inviting enough for WMobile to be overlooked and eventually die off. aaaaaaaaaand the talk of the Android possibly taking over the world (kidding, but not really) what do you guys/gals think?

i dread the day that i might have to go into my local Apple shack and ask the "alternative" guy with rad visible arm tatoos, black hair to look cool with his black rimmed glasses, skinny jeans and a darn iPod hanging from his neck, for an iPhone or iMac...

what's the future we're looking at?????????????

please chime in!
  2. cheri

cheri Active Member

im not on the iphone, ipod, mac, craze. I dont see them as superior products but they spen so much on marketing people believe it.

i had a discussion (if u wanna call it that) with an iphone enthusiast at a Xmas get together. This person was saying what a PoS other phones were compared to the iphone. He wouldnt even listewn to the great things mi Q could do he was so wrapped up in the infomercial in his head. lol

dont u even have to send the iphone in for battery replacement? that is pretty lame if true. i dont want one i wont pay that much for a phone.

I will most likely stick w/ mi Q even when it has to be retired. I like the Q
  3. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

i 100% agree with you BUT look what apple did with one phone, ONE. do u think WMobile will even try to compare or what... u know? i too am perfectly happy but our Q's can only last so long...... ya know.

p.s. thanks for the response
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yes last i heard you had to send the phone out to get the battery changed.
    pretty lame if you ask me...so what im going to be without a phone for how many days/weeks becuase the company has a strangle hold on the phone???

people are always so quick to jump all over MS and say its crappy (and sometimes it is) but just look at what apple did to the phone right away...locked it up tight so you couldnt get any apps or do anything to it
    or how they screwed there customers by dropping the price X amount of dollars mere weeks after it came out...nice one

but to each there own...i love my Q and will keep using it until another new one comes out:tounge:
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

whats an iPlop? havent touched an iDevice yet. Don't have a need. :smile:
  6. cheri

cheri Active Member

i think there are some phone geeks out there that will buck the iphone craze. im saing geeks in a nice way so no back sassing (as my daughter says) not everyone likes to be a follower. i doubt that WM will go anywhere for a while...someome brought this topic up sometimes ago too.

np on the reply :)
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

as for years with the pc's and Apple's... i see a market big enough for both. it made me chuckle to read that Apple now is "accused" of heavy marketing while i believe that was partly the downfall of Apple in the beginning when M$ was doing so much better marketing wise :}

anyway.... never messed with an iPhone, there fore i have no strong opinion on it. secondly i like M$ based pc's, and i also dig Mac's.
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

iPlop? I've heard of iPood....
    saw it on a shirt once and it seems to fit. It's a decent phone, but I prefer being able to use a phone with one hand (try that on an iPhone)
  9. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

Having used an iPhone I do have to say that it's a slick and increbile piece of technology. I will note, that it has it's own drawbacks that make me desire my Q more than it.

I think that there are peopple who would use the Mac Book Air, and I think that Steve Jobs is on the leading edge of the curve when it comes to new technology.

"Personal Computing" is taking new steps, and I think that is where the future is. Laptops are outselling PCs, because people are becoming more mobile. AS we integrate more and more technology into our everyday lives, the "Not quite old" Adage "Right here, Right Now" is becoming "Everywhere, Right Now".

I firmly believe that vehicles in the next few years, will be offered with a PC and Wireless built in. Something I recently discovered is Wikimapia.org. Lets combine web access, with Google Maps, and GPS. As I drive my car up the road, it pops up distances to nearby Gas stations, fast food retaurants, and any other conceivable information.

My Q can pick that stuff up, but it takes time to find it.

Via Wireless I should be able to connect from my PC to my car, and run diagnostics from the comfort of my living room.

Vonage via PC in the car to anyone I need to contact. Fax2email for business, anywhere & Right now.

Wearable computers. Beam music to my car from my PC library. Lets take it a step further, why carry a laptop, when your Q has bluetooth and can connect wirelessly with your PC. I'd have a Monitor in my Kitchen/Bedroom/Living room that is tuned into my Q, and simply set my morning news, via the Q.

Lets take the technology a step further. Inject an RFID Chip into your hand. Tune your light switches, car, TV, and radio to that chip. When you walk into a room, the lights come on, the TV comes on, Car will only go into drive when you are nearby.

So, where does WM5 and the Q fit in? It's just a baby step in where technology is headed. I can surf the web, driving to work. Check email from a Ski slope. Buy a new set of boots while watching Toby Keith in concert. The missus can check her websites while on the way to my parents. Send a Fax while waiting for a movie.

Anywhere; Right Now

I should add, the one thing that kills me with the iPhone, is that it doesn't support Stereo Bluetooth. D'oh!

and... UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC)
  10. Geekster

Geekster New Member

My friend bought one. Her reasoning? Why she bought it? What she just couldn't get over? What threw her in a tizzy? Eye Candy! The graphics on the screen was the selling point. (Didn't care about the reception the phone had where she lives. Couldn't get a straight answer from her on why buy a cell phone that didn't work well for her)
    We sat and compared phones. Can your phone do this? And so many times it was 2 or 3 clicks I was there, baby! She was still messing around on the screen.
    But the ringtones are so cool. Told her I just downloaded the "cool" ringtones & I could load them on my phone if I wanted to.
    She still likes her phone, I still like my rugged, dependable, no touch screen, hip looking Moto Q. :smile:
  11. The thing is, like you pointed out, apple is seen as the good guy and ms as the bad guy. Steve Jobs I think banks on this and his products are inferior, but yet are easy to use. I finally got an ipod after my other mp3 devices had issues. For instance I had a rio nitrus, worked great, but when it froze, it actually said in the manual to hold it in your palm and slap it with your hand.
    Anyhow back on topic, its all in the marketing. Apple is the only one making their products so they have complete control. WM runs on treos, q's, htc's, etc. and therefore have more issues because hardware isn't the same. Rather than blame hardware manuf. people blame microsoft.
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

wow.... you actually find Apple products "inferior" ? experience ?
  13. yeah for certain things.
    I don't buy into apples are better for graphic designers, etc.
    Windows machines are just as good.
    You pay for the apple name. Are they solid machines and devices, sure, but the rokr didn't fair well did it? Nobody blamed apple. They blamed motorola. Microsoft doesn't get the same shake though.

Man this could turn into a great heated thread!!!
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i see where you are coming from kinda... and my experience with Apple products have only been good ones, and from that experience i have never had an Apply computer with a virus, or a crash for that matter. honestly i can not agree with "reasoning" that M$ is a victim or gets treated unfair.. i think that happens at times w/ both companies.. imo.

not by me... same "rule" as in the politics thread, respect...
  15. Me neither.
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

HEY.... no rebuttal :}
  17. cheri

cheri Active Member

why bother its just a forum jk

Again last time I used an apple was like 1984. My sons Ipod had to be exchanged 4 times before it got stolen. But apple exchanged them w/o question under the warranty. My daughters suffled just died, no warning...right now she is using a Dell Dj ditty (what a dorky name for a mp3 player) and it has out passed the shuffle.

How many Q's did I have oh yeah like 3 but I dont think it was an WM problem on either of them. It was poor manufacturing on two and poor configuation direct from Moto on the last one, it was not configured for vzw. eh, it works now and plays music lol
  18. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

wow everybody, thanks for your thoughts.

i am nervous that WMobile might try and do something stupid to compete... OR be complacent and not do anything at all... i love the screen of the iPhone, but not the smudgy factor. i like the menus and simplicity, but loves the Q functionality a ton more... i'm just worried that WMobile is going to get left in the dust here, seeing as though WM6 is aweful of some verizon phone i saw.....

whats the future, android or iStuff....?
  19. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

20. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

so WM8 is what we should look forward too huh... sounds exciting BUT thats 2 full versions away Der Alta. so 2-3 years? i dont know if we'll still be talking here on EQ.com then. i do hope so, but is that realistic?