The redheaded stepchildren of Alltel/Verizon Merger

Discussion in 'Alltel' started by crikev2, Jan 30, 2009.

1. crikev2

crikev2 New Member

i haven't noticed any drop in signal or service here in NC, as a divested area.
  2. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

sngl loss

I am in the NC area in a non divested area, using my divested phone. The closest store that is divested is 70 miles away. When altell was one company, and I was here as I am now I was still roaming from my home are of hinesville ga, but I still had good sngl and fast internet. Even in nj and va it worked well. Now I have to use my phone outside to get even two bars and 1/2 the time I can not send texts or email unless I am outside as well. Also I have dropped calls all the time. Up north in nj and ny at best I get 1x speed and 1-2 bars. My exp may be just my bad luck, but i see a diff, because my company phone is an altell phone from a mergered area and I hav excellent svc everywhere I go.
  3. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

one more screwed up thing

Today I had time to call Alltel and get the tower info updated on my phone since *228 does not work for me in NJ. I was told to drive 200 miles to the nearest Alltell area and use it or to drive to the nearest divested area(175) miles away and have the store force the update on my phone, or to mail my phone to my home area and get the updated info. Of course this was after being put on hold and then told my account was not active. I had to have them call me on the phone to prove my number worked. Then they understood what I had told them " Hello my name is....... I am a member of the divested........" Then they transfered me to the other Altell. Now on to the search box to see if I can force the upgrade myself. Wish me luck.
  4. lbbecker

lbbecker New Member

Alltel issues abound

I have been an Alltel customer for over 7 years now. My contract originated in Ohio but I have lived in NC for 4 years now and never had any problems. I added my husband onto my account a year ago and we have never had any complaints. Both of our phones were purchased in NC.

For the last two months we have had dropped calls, calls that go straight to voicemail, text messages that won't go through, no signal in our house, etc. Today we went into our local store which is now Verizon, where the nice guy behind the counter told us we didn't exsist. We are the abandoned child of the redheaded stepchild. We are in an area of NC that was left to Alltel, and have an account from Ohio which was also left to Alltel. Our phones don't work, but no one cares. We could drive 45 minutes away, but since our contract originated in Ohio no one in NC will more than likely be able to help us. We spent a combined 3 hours on the phone today to be told that we needed to have a ticket created and an outside company determine if we indeed had a decline in service as we stated, then we would be allowed out of our contract. The kicker to that whole thing was I had a hard time evening placing the call to alltel, it wouldn't go through since I didn't have a signal.

After doing some research online tonight, I'm convinced even more so that they know our service sucks and since they will be selling our contracts to another provider anyway, they just don't care. What a joke. I have been a loyal customer, paid bills ontime, referred other people, and this is what I get in return. I have no control and no way to fix it!!!
  5. crikev2

crikev2 New Member

I feel your pain I am also in NC divested area and have been having the same issues with dropped calls, people breaking up, calls straight to voicemail, and text messages not going through. I called alltel last night and was told that the reason my texts were not going through was because I had a signature on my text message settings. I personally think this answer was BS. I talked to them in the local store that is divested where my account was originated and talked to them about calls going to voicemail, and was told it was usual to drop calls every once in a while.

I would really like to be able to get out of my contract as well the alltel that I have known for 14 loyal years no longer exists, I used to get all the issues I had ever had come up handled rather quickly and without getting the run around now no such luck.

good luck lbbecker trying to get out of contract.
  6. FernBchQ

FernBchQ New Member

Red-Headed stepchildren, don't dispair. You are not the only ones affected. I am not in a divested market and have major issues as well. I posted this on VZW forum:

"Well, I'm caught in the verizon to Alltel swap and I have a MAJOR problem. When Alltel was in charge of my service, it was the best I ever had. Never had problems making/recieving calls, messages, etc. Now that the merger is almost complete, just the opposite is now true. I have four phones on my account and at least half of the time I have no service where is was once great. At my home half the time I am lucky if I can even use my wireless phones at all. I am having problems with the messaging portion of my plan as well. I only get about half of them, too. I have checked the coverage map on verizon's website and it says that I am in an area where I should have good service, but I don't. I have tried dialing *228, option 2; changing from network A to B, and nothing is helping. I have called tech support many times as well. I get a different answer/expanation each time I call. The REAL question is "What is VZW going to do to correct this issue?" I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like "America's most reliable network" isn't very reliable right now and it's getting really frustrating to have to pay for a service that does not work in an acceptable manner. Do I need to keep calling VZW until they do something about it, or do I have to file a written complaint with another agency?

Frustrated In NE Florida"

Voice your concerns, if not to Alltel/VZW, then maybe to an outside agency. I am hearing many stories of people not happy and concerned that they will get screwed. Let them know they can't just walk all over you!!
  7. stuck with vzw

stuck with vzw New Member

this sucks

I am a former alltel customer who had to get a replacement phone they didnt have any alltel phones so i had to get a vzw phone ..... that's where it all went bad, since i now have a vzw phone, i now have to change some things on my plan such as text messaging, no longer do i have the unlimited package i paid $20 per month for on alltel i now only have 5,000, not that i plan or think i use more than that its just the principal. Also i can't play games or access games to downlowad without verizons mobile web package and if i dont have it then im charged 10 per megabyte just to play games such as poker. This is ridiculous and their customer services sucks, i just want to know how is it possible for me to be locked in a contract with a company that no longer exist???? and the new company has totally altered everything im used to....... no smooth transition, no similar plans, no customer service. Now if i want to leave and go to another provider they say i will have to pay the $200 to break the contract with alltel...... how is this possible since they dont exist anymore? this is BS and im pissed at alltel and verizon and the FCC for not making sure this transition was good for all parties involved. This is the worst thing that has ever happened in my cell phone history. I HATE THIS PHONE!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Phiiilly

Phiiilly New Member

I don't know where everyone stands with the merge. But in my opion, I'll express my thoughts.

Since the merger, and updating prl, and software, I've found that everything has been more or less better. Faster connections, faster web browsing. This is when I have it.

I've noticed that after the merger, I've started to drop more and more calls, instead of one or two a month, I'm looking at five to eight. Coverage is better, but still for some reason doesn't seem to be as stable as before the merger.

Internet sharing, the only internet I have at my house, has become faster, but again the coverage fact is still looming.

Verizon isn't looking to fair at the end of my contract but hey might stay with them, I have another year with my contract, I'll ride it for as long as possible. I love my Motorola Q9c, but have decided that I'm going to need a newer phone sooner or later.

We'll see what happens. But this is just my opinion thus far.

:wink: