The redheaded stepchildren of Alltel/Verizon Merger

Discussion in 'Alltel' started by crikev2, Jan 30, 2009.

1. crikev2

crikev2 New Member

The redheaded stepchildren of Alltel/Verizon Merger

I am in a coverage area of Alltel that will not become Verizon, and this leaves me with many questions, and concerns. Like who will buy out my service in my area, have always been fond of Alltel but there are not many carriers that are worth anything in my area outside the now big 3.

And if I am not happy with the carrier that takes over will I be able to get out of my contract without penalty, or will I be stuck paying more for what may be lesser service, and will the new owners even offer all of the services that I have grown used to.

So all I can do in the mean time is sit and wait in limbo, I was kind of excited about some of the phones and services that verizon has to offer, but now I am left to wonder what I will soon be stuck with.
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i was migrated to verizon from a small carrier and my signal went way downhill. called vz repair..had a ticket made..was deemed to be in a moderate cell area. i was told i can walk with no cancellation fees on all five phones i migrated.
  3. itz poly

itz poly New Member

I've ben wondering that when Alltel becomes Verizon in my area will we receive the 6.1 update?
  4. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

another issue

I had to replace my 22 day old Q9c at a store, and since I to am one of the bas@#rd step children All the local"Alltel" stores told me to get bent in a polite manner. I had to go 70 miles away to get service from a store, so be forwarned, if you need help from a store call ahead and find out if they will/can help you.
  5. crikev2

crikev2 New Member

This is what bugs me not knowing what to expect, because all the smaller cell companies where I live all suck, so if they take over I feel that I should be allowed the opportunity to get out of my contract.

Did the reps at the store tell you why they couldn't help you?
  6. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

why

They told me my home area was one of the areas not part of the merger, and that they could not even access my account anymore. I was pretty peeved because of all the BS verizon/alltel put out on how during the merger everything would be normal. However, this is not the case.
  7. crikev2

crikev2 New Member

man I may have to think of something and see what happens at my alltel store. I would be ticked off if that happened to me and may try to use it to get out of my contract.
  8. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

just curious

today for the first time my phone told me i was roaming when i went to use the internet, and that additional charges may be incured. i am a bit worried based on my exp of last week. i will call alltel and see if i am but i was curious if any of the other stepkids have had this issue. i am 300 miles away from my home area. i never had this issue before and i travle alot up and down the eastcoast.
  9. Ruby'sMom

Ruby'sMom New Member

Will my coverage still be Alltel?

I live right near T'dad and don't know if I'll be migrated to V or not; there are a lot of V users here.
    I'm glad to find this thread, and I thank Eve for starting it!:smile:
    Any info is welcome.
  10. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

roaming

while i was at work i had my wife call, and the local reps said i was roaming, however the alltel techs when called said it was but not to worry it would be covered, i guess i will see when the bill comes. i bet the coverage are for us will shrink to almost nothing in the end. i just hope i can get out of my contract and go to the other side, they truly will have americas best service at the end of this merger. rip altell long live the empire i mean verizon
  11. crikev2

crikev2 New Member

well I have read on the net that AT&T is a front runner in the bidding to buy us stepchildren. I am not sure how this would work with them being GSM. anyone know how good the service is with AT&T. I do not know aanyone in my area that has them everyone here is VZW.
  12. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

options

Q9H perhaps hopefully they would offer some smoking deals, otherwise it would be ebay time.
  13. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

Ft Dix NJ area

are there any of us around here? just curiousI am here for duty for awhile and tried to *228 and it only picks up verizon and tells me to call customer service for help. thought i would check here first because we all know how helpful they are.
  14. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Guest

I live in a small area where Alltel was the big dog for a looong time, verison came in but the coverage sucked and people mainly had it from the cooler phones. Now that Verison has all the Alltel my buddy decided since his alltel plan was up he'd check out Verison. When we asked the sales people they gave us a speech (that sounded as though it had been written for them, and probably was) that basicly said as far as our community goes, Alltel and Verison, other than a few small things, are still seperate companys. Sorta like the Serius/XM radio thing.
  15. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

HA! Good one!:) The Alltel Verizon thing IS confusing to say the least. All areas where they both live aren't treated the same either. Some remain Alltel but then some Alltel areas become VZW. It has something to do with the FCC's ruling prior to the merger/buyout, whatever. My good friend the VZW rech tells me you don't know 'til ya get there. Guess he's right. :) -Q
  16. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

proof we are redheaded step kids

i have been in NJ for going on three weeks and my Q has been almost unusable dropped calls, 1x speed,1/2-1 bar signal strength, calls going straight to voice mail, and mms not downloading etc. yesterday the command issued me a dumb alltel cell phone its from an area where alltel and verizon merged 300 miles away, and i get full bars and none of the issues.also *228 works for this phone. this may not prove anything, but to me it says it all. they are just putting up with us till we get pissed off and leave or someone else takes over as daddy cause we really are not their responsibility anymore. they have already been told we will be lost to them as customers, so why give a crap now.

ps my Q is from a nonmergered area 600 miles away
  17. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

It sounds like the "dumb phone" they gave you is probably EVDO Rev A. That is the reason for it's superior performance. The Q is not capable having only REV 0. The phone is the problem in the area you are in. Progress in technology always produces collateral damage. You'd have no problems with a Q9 with EVDO Rev A. Sorry, man, I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear. Thank you for your service. :) -Q
  18. crikev2

crikev2 New Member

Finally something positive for us divested castoffs, the divested alltel has announced that the my circle with 10 and 20 numbers will get 5 more numbers added at no extra cost. saw this on howard forums, and wireless advisor, they actually have the article. It is just ashame that we don't have a company to call our own, or they can't release WM 6.1 for our Q9c.

But overall that is good news.
  19. brandoncheddars

brandoncheddars New Member

can you take you moto q from alltel and convert it to verizon
  20. jorgemarkin

jorgemarkin New Member

additional free calls

its great to add more numbers, however when the sngl strength and coverage area keeps shrinking, it will end up doing nothing for us. i love my q9c and for the shrt time it was a true alltel phone it was great, now except in my home area it is almost a paper weight. i have to carry another phone just to ensure service. and the bad thing is its alltel as well, but its part of the mergered alltel.