The Moto Q9h (AT&T) -- I Actually Own One!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mshneour, Oct 28, 2007.

1. mshneour

mshneour New Member

The Moto Q9h (AT&T) -- I Actually Own One!

Well, sometimes things come to those who wait. And after waiting an intolerable amount of time, I finally own one of the long-rumored Moto Q9h smartphones. I may have the first unit sold and requisitioned by AT&T Wireless. I purchased mine yesterday from a corporate AT&T Wireless store which had received its first few units, even though the phone has still not been officially launched. I have no idea why I was so -- for lack of a better term -- blessed.

For those who might be inclined to question the veracity of my post, I have attached a couple of photos of said unit. No, they have not been Photoshopped.

My initial impressions are quite positive. The form factor is very flat, although a bit widish in the hand. Not undesirable, though. Two batteries are supplied -- the slim Motorola BT60 and the thicker BT90. The latter comes with a separate back to accommodate the larger battery. I haven't yet had experience with the unit to know the significance of the larger battery, although another of AT&T's 3G phones -- the Samsung Blackjack -- is also supplied with both thin and thick batteries.

There is no scroll wheel a la the early Blackberries and the original Q phone, but instead a "rocker" device which feels like an ergonomic improvement. The ubiquitous mini-USB port has been replaced with the newer "micro-USB" port. Obnoxious, in my view, as it is roughly the same size as the mini-USB port, but of course requires the use of a mini-to-micro USB adapter. So, my well thought-out plan to standardize on micro-USB cables has been trumped. I am told, however, that the micro-USB port is destined to become the longer term standard for mobile device I/O, so be on the lookout for Motorola, Blackberry and others to move from mini-USB and other proprietary connectors to micro-USB. For me, I'll believe it when I see it. A final point of note: my non-OEM travel chargers do not work with the Moto Q9h, even though these adapters have worked for every other device (including Motorola products) I have owned to date. Perhaps due to a greater power demand by the Moto Q9h, or perhaps due to some other incompatibility related to the mini/micro-USB issue. Regardless, be prepared to shuck out some unreasonable bucks for Motorola OEM chargers with the new micro-USB connector. At least you'll get the pretty Motorola blue charging light for your money.

The most noticeable and welcome feature of the device is the reskinning of the Windows Mobile 6 OS. Motorola has clearly gone to some pains to make the technology of the phone transparent to a simplified user experience. This is very different than the experience of picking up an HTC "Tilt," AT&T's other Windows Mobile 6 device that I had considered.

I had AT&T requisition my Q9h with Blackberry service, although I have yet to figure out how to install the "Blackberry Connect" software which allows it to run the Blackberry Internet Service ("BIS"). This capability is well documented for the HTC Tilt and a few other Windows Mobile 6 devices (including the original Moto Q), but not for the Q9h.

Well, hopefully this post is of some benefit to others of you who have been awaiting release of the Moto Q9h. I will update this post as I gain some experience with it.

Cheers from sunny (and still smoky) San Diego!

MarkOfExcellence

Attached Files:

2. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

I also got mine yesterday - up in the O.C. of CA (I posted in the ."..Release date" thread.)

I mentioned there that there's a micro- to mini- adapter in the box which should enable a little cross-pollenation of chargers etc.
  3. mshneour

mshneour New Member

Blackberry Connect for Moto Q9h ??

Hi, Graeme (?).

Well, I guess there are at least a couple of us.

At present (as you know), there is no support information posted by AT&T Wireless, and precious little by Motorola other than marketing fluff.

One item in particular which is of significance to me is the capability of this device to support the "Blackberry Connect" software, which allows the device to use the excellent push-email capability of the Blackberry Internet Service ("BIS"). Version 4x of the software runs on Windows Mobile 6 devices, but at present is only formally supported by AT&T for the HTC "Tilt." Nonetheless, the corporate AT&T store where I purchased my Q9h requisitioned me for Blackberry data service. (Which, incidentally, is available for $29.95 per month, as opposed to AT&T's PDAConnect unlimited data service which goes for $39.95.) Never deterred by the lack of enduser niceties, I boldly proceeded to register my device at the www.wireless.att.com/blackberrystart URL given to me by AT&T. The account creation routine did not recognize my device (not surprisingly), but upon trying to locate the device "PIN" required by Blackberry (along with the easily located IMEI number), I was unable to find it anywhere. When I looked for a download site for the Blackberry Connect software (which I figured could be installed on my PC, and thereafter installed on my Q9h), I discovered that this software is as carefully guarded as the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa. Blackberry appears to make this software available only to carriers with which it has agreed to provide service, and then only for a particular device. Also, the software download is hosted by the carrier. When searching for the Blackberry Connect 4.1 on HTC's site, however, it was not to be found. For the Tilt, the software is gotten by selecting a link on the device, which then takes you to the appropriate HTC download site. Why all the secrecy? Who knows. Maybe it is a support issue, but I cannot imagine that the usage between one Windows Mobile 6 device is all that different from another. Further, Blackberry Connect has been available for the original Q for some time, although it appears only to be easily available by the sole authorized carrier -- Canadian Bell. :angry:

Here are some links to the Blackberry Connect issue which were not easily located. Perhaps they will be useful to others...

-- HTC guide to installing Blackberry Connect on the AT&T Tilt: http://www.america.htc.com/support/tilt/software-downloads.html

-- User manual for Blackberry Connect 4.0 software. Published on HTC site. Note that the manual is generic for "Windows Mobile Powered Pocket PCs": http://www.america.htc.com/support/tilt/docs/BlackBerry_Connect_Software_User_Guide.pdf

-- Canadian Bell install guide for Blackberry Connect software for the original Q: http://www.businessonthego1.com/english/ws_dataapplications_email_bbconnect.asp

-- User manual for Blackberry Connect 2.1 software (for Windows Smartphones). Published on Canadian Bell site: http://www.businessonthego1.com/english/pdf/user_guides/BlackBerry_Connect_User_Guide.pdf

Any other information on how to configure the Q9h for Blackberry Connect for the Q9h would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark
  4. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

How is the speed (snappiness) compared with the Euro or CDMA version (Q9m)? Launching apps, switching back to the home screen, etc? How about battery life in 3G mode? The BlackJack was a dog on battery life in 3G mode.
  5. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

Hi Mark,
    Well I'm not a Blackberry user, so can't offer much there.

I performed my first Master Clear today - not bad; got through more than 24 hours!
    The reason is related to Email.
    The program, Xpress Mail - a download for which is offered on the home screen ("Get Xpress Mail") - promises to automate the correct settings for Email account(s).
    I have successfully been 'polling' the 3 email accounts that I use on my Euro "Q", so I decided to try Xpress Mail.
    It set up my ATT (ie Yahoo!) account OK, and Gmail was easy, but I had to manually configure another account.
    Later, I tried to alter a setting in the Yahoo! account and couldn't access it. It appears that the program locks the account.
    The others were still fine. (ie "editable").
    I then noticed that a couple of programs seemed to defy "Kill"; they kept coming back! I think mailexplorer.exe was one.(?)

Hence the Master Clear to remove the Xpress Mail.

However, some may be interested to know that one option that was offered with the Yahoo! account setup through Xpress Mail was "Push Email".

I have installed a couple of apps - Simple RegEdit and Screen Capture - without problems.

Graeme