"The File Format Is Invalid"

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by WhatISaQ, Nov 11, 2008.

1. WhatISaQ

WhatISaQ New Member

"The File Format Is Invalid"

I took a video using the phone itself, and when I tried to play it via Start>My Pictures & Videos> File name 041 the phone displays a message "The file format is invalid". The properties for the file as follows: name=041; File Type= 3GP Video; Dimensions=N/A; File Size=18MB; Date Created=09/05/2008; Protected=No. I know it is a large file, however I figure that if I recorded the file with the device itself it would be able to replay it? Has anyone had this issue as well? I searched for this issue in the forum and found nothing that related so I apologize if this has been solved before.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Is WMP your default player? Have you installed another, like TCPMP? If so, could be a file association problem?
  3. WhatISaQ

WhatISaQ New Member

No modifications

WMP is my default player. I have installed no other media apps at all. This is quite puzzling. I have a feeling that the size of the file has something to do with it. I had taken multiple videos at the same event that day and they all play well, but are not as large.
  4. BoostedKnight

BoostedKnight New Member

You're not the only one who has had this problem. If you search, you'll see 2 or 3 other threads as well. I've had this problem since the day I upgraded (never noticed it before) to WinMo 6.1. I can't play any video at any resolution taken on the phone.
  5. WhatISaQ

WhatISaQ New Member

Wow!?!

That is retarded! I do not have my usb cable on me but I wonder if I transfer the file to my laptop if it will play there? Will it work on Vista? I read in another thread about the problems with vista. I tried to connect via bluetooth on vista and xp and couldnt get it to work. I am unsure of the activesync on vista?
  6. cindra

cindra Active Member

Syncing with Vista requires Windows Mobile Device Center rather than Activesync.
  7. BoostedKnight

BoostedKnight New Member

That it does. Even then though, the file type is associated with quicktime and still won't open on my computer either. So, I have no clue what the camera is doing to mess up the files as it records them.
  8. cindra

cindra Active Member

I don't know either. I've never used the Q to make video, so I can't help ya there. Just trying to make sure we weren't overlooking the obvious! :wink: