Thank People By Boosting Their Reputation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pony99CA, Jan 5, 2007.

1. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

How do you fiind out how many points you have?
  2. inf3st

inf3st New Member

You can go to the members list and find your name. Or just click on your very own Reputation Button
  3. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Yeah right! We ALL know you just did it because your secretly in love with me.
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Reputation Limits?

I just read a post where somebody said they couldn't give me another reputation boost because they had given me too many and need to spread them around more first.

That's a bit weird, but I guess it prevents artificial boosting where you and a friend agree to boost each other's posts to get to the top of the reputation list.

I wonder what that limit it, though. I've got 27 points, so if you start with 10, that's 17 bumps. Even if those were all from one person, that doesn't seem like that many for somebody with almost 400 posts.

It's not a big deal, but I thought it was curious.

Steve
  5. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

I tried to boost someones rep and it wouldn't let me and said I need to spread the love around. Also I had two people boost my rep but my points still say 10. Not sure what is up with that?
  6. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Rep Points

I don't know. I just assume that one boost is one point, but maybe I'm wrong. If one boost does equal one point, maybe somebody downgraded some of your posts.... (I could be wrong, of course, but it's another possible explanation.)

That's one reason that I wish you could at least see the posts of yours that got reputation and the comments that went with them. (The admin can see them, I think, but that doesn't help us.)

Steve
  7. My-Q

My-Q New Member

Everyone starts out with 10 points? And, just to think, I thought I was special because I had 10 points! That is funny. If you have '0' for a post count, you have the same amount as I do with '124' posts or so. LOL! Ya'll need to work on this a little bit.
  8. qnoob

qnoob New Member

the boost reputation link is something like:
    going down the thread, the number seems unique, even under the same username who has multiple posts in a thread. is there a way we can put a link in our sigs? or does the system add reputation points per post per user?

UPDATE: Oops, I understand now, the 5-digit number is the individual post ID, lol. For example, this post is #22773, so if / when you click my link to boost my rep, the link is http://www.everythingq.com/forum/reputation.php?p=22773 . . . so we get reputation per post.

It'd be more convenient if the link was more noticeable than a little icon on a post.
  9. My-Q

My-Q New Member

"And the Lord said, "Let there be light"..." :tounge:

Those numbers help the computer keep things tidy. They were developed by the Thread Master eons ago. Almost BB-type forums have them.
  10. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I should put Steve's Signature with the reputation comment in my signature. Lol I have 818 post and 14 rep. :p
  11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Signatures

Go ahead. The more people that start using reputation, the more useful it becomes.

Here's the code to do it.

The trick is to upload the Reputation image as your Signature Picture. Try this URL -- http://www.everythingq.com/forum/everythingq/buttons/reputation.gif -- but if that doesn't work, save it to your PC and upload it.

Of course, I'm not so sure the signature is that effective. I only have 27 points myself. I got the idea from tj!2k6, who has been using his signature longer than I have and has more posts than I do, but has no more reputation than I do.

Give it a try, though -- it certainly can't hurt. The good news is that most of the first Member List page when sorted by Reputation is people who have actually been given boosts my other people, so some people are using it.

Steve
  12. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

How is it that Ive never seen this thread! Just something new to shoot for! I was 2nd in "Posts" then [size=+1]Inf3st[/size] went Post Crazy and blew us all away! HEHE
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Stealth Mode

Alright, who took the thread out of stealth mode so TAG found it? :laugh2:

Yeah, he said he had 818 posts just six days ago, now he has 928! Maybe he gave up trying to catch Tom and me at Qusers. :2cool:

Steve
  14. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I just got tired of their site not keeping up with the post that i have't read. plus it's just friendlier here. and the mobile version is tons better here.
  15. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

I agree, this site is set up much better than qusers.
  16. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

That's exactly what the limit is for.

I forget exactly how it works, but IIRC by default you can rep 10 people per day, and you have to rep 20 different people before you can rep the same person again. Per 100 posts you receive one point of rep power until 500 posts, then you receive another rep power point for every 200 posts; and for each "dangly" you have, you get another point of rep power.

Edit: Also, you gain an extra point of rep power for every 365 days you've been a member of the forum.

That's why when newbs rep you, while it's a nice gesture, no points are added to your overall reputation, simply because they have no rep power.
  17. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Thanks for the info. That explains why I have like five rep boosts but my score has not changed. Newbies have no rep power. Seems weird but whatever.
  18. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Doesn't Sound Right

That sounds interesting, but then why does Infest only have 4 rep points or so? With 1,000+ posts, he should have at least 7 (unless somebody's been knocking his rep down...).

And what exactly is a "dangly"? Are those the medals/awards I've seen at other vBulletin sites?

Steve
  19. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

If I recall correctly, those are the default values, which can be modified by the admins. Chris could chime in here and let us know the definitive answers.

The "danglies" are the [green] orbs below your post count. I dunno what they're really called, but it's what we called 'em over at mp3car.

inf3st, rep me.. edit: forgot to say please, lol
  20. inf3st

inf3st New Member

LoL what for?