Text Messaging - Do you have to have it?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by WP7map.com, Nov 14, 2010.

1. WP7map.com

WP7map.com New Member

I went to a Windows Phone services page at Microsoft to look into the Find My Phone and Remote Wipe. It seems they somehow use SMS text messages within their services. While I definately am not a fan of text messaging, have them completely blocked at AT&T, it appears you have to have for these features to work.

Does anyone have any ideas or comments about how these services work?
  2. muddtt

muddtt Member

From Microsofts web site: (summary: you can switch it to push notification instead of text messaging)
    "
    Select one or more of the following:

• Save my location periodically for better mapping. Microsoft can save your phone's location details every few hours so that if your phone is out of range or the battery dies, we can still show your phone's last-known location on a map.

• Get results faster (may use more battery). The Find My Phone service uses text messaging to send commands to your phone. Check this option to use push notifications instead. Why? Push notifications can be faster than text messages. If your mobile operator charges you for each incoming text message, push notifications might also be cheaper."