Text Messages to Speech

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by wnrussell, Feb 4, 2009.

1. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Text Messages to Speech

To hear your text messages converted to speech:

1. Tap the Voice Recognition key, or Start > Voice Recognition
    2. Say "Check Messages"

The Q9n will read your messages aloud and ask if you want to reply.

"You have one new message" "Message from Alana" "Would you like to hear message" [Yes]
    "Dad I will be home in a few minutes"
    "Would you like to reply?"

The RAZR2 was supposed to do that about two years ago. Not a bad feature.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

did not know that...thanks

do you have to activate the voice recognition every time you get a text (that could be annoying)
  3. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

now that is cool. Does it sound good or like that app for the Qs.
  4. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Sounds very good. It is ashame the reply function wasn't finished. I'll ask the developer who is working on the other stuff for us.
  5. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

yes, speech to text would be a huge selling point, if they decide to sell it.
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

VR: "Say a command"
    Me: "Do my laundry"
    VR: "Calling... Mom..."
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

haha nice

-Sent from my Q9n
  8. phil3315

phil3315 Member

Absolutely! I've been trying to figure out a way to do that for years. I'm sure it would be difficult for the phone, as it's vocabulary would have to be expanded exponentially. Sure would be nice though. and safer than the alternative...
  9. doctorq2u

doctorq2u New Member

Will it read email
  10. phil3315

phil3315 Member

Nope, doesn't even acknowledge it's there...

does a nice job of reading the SMS though
  11. doctorq2u

doctorq2u New Member

Somebody FIX THAT. The phone has NUANCE Voice Recognition Software.
    I paid $180 for NUANCE software for my PC and it will do it all.
  12. phil3315

phil3315 Member

Yeah, it's kind of strange. Doesn't work as well as the Voice Signal that was on my V710, E815, and Moto Q.

I can't get it to understand when I say Check Status, it gives me time and date instead of the full status. I'm saying names repeatedly and it doesn't understand them, or gets way off, when my last 3 phones did much better.

I hear this one learns your voice, so maybe it will get better. Lie I said, the 2004 software on my V710 did a better job right out of the box.

This one does seem to have better context sensative help, and tells you to say it different the next time. Seems like they concentrated on that more than the actual voice recognition....
  13. doctorq2u

doctorq2u New Member

You can teach it your voice setting/adaptation
  14. phil3315

phil3315 Member

I thought about that, but i never had to do that on the other ones. The manual said to the other phones said to avoid that unless you had a strong accent or something.

I don't have much of an accent at all, I've lived so many different places, just kind of neutral.
  15. Doctorq

Doctorq New Member

I found if you go to voice recognition /go to /setting/ media player setting you can change the default player their
  16. manbat

manbat Active Member

Check Status.....

=============
    When you say "Check Status" is will read out Battery strength, signal strenght, roaming or not,volume, missed calls, voice mails ,etc.....