Text message sound

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by nolajersey, Mar 17, 2008.

1. nolajersey

nolajersey New Member

Text message sound

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a way to use your own sound as a text message alert? I figured out how to get my own ringtones but I can't find a way to do the same for texts. Thanks everyone.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

use the search function....

potQ.
  3. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

I believe that you just need to copy the file you want to application data>sounds and it will show up as text message alert option.
  4. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

be forewarned, you can not stop a txt sound. So choosing Yoko Ono's greatest hits will get annoying quickly....

\continue :)
  5. nolajersey

nolajersey New Member

Thanks for the warning.

Thanks for your help.
  6. locochristopher

locochristopher New Member

text message sound

I don't believe this is correct. I did a search for the current files that the smart phone uses and they are all stored in the My Documents/My Ringtones folder. I did notice that there is a difference between all the files I uploaded and tried to get to work and the ones the standard ones the OS uses currently. The difference is that they are WMA files and 20K in size. leads me to believe they are a simple mono ringtone. Might be a registry limitation to the file size? Maybe they can only be WMA files?

If anyone knows this answer, let me know. I'm also trying to find out how to change my default alerts. Thanks.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it's known there is a file size limit on the Q9's...

potQ.
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I think that's only for the Q9h. I've used songs approaching 10 mb for ringtones on my Q9c. I keep all my sound files in the root of the storage card.
  9. locochristopher

Well I know there was a limitation for allowing MP3s to be your ringtones, I have modified my key entry for the ringtone. But I have a simple 16K AOL "You've Got Mail" MP3 I want to use as my Alert to any incoming Mail. Can't seem to get the phone to recognize it. I did a search on my phone to find out where "Alert-Echo" (default alert) to see where all my alerts are stored. my result was that they were stored in My Documents/My Ringtones. I'll place my simple "You've Got Mail" MP3 in that location but the phone won't see it as an alert. Which... is why it leads me to think it needs to be a WMA file.
  10. locochristopher

Wow, I guess all it needed was a soft reset of my phone and it picked it up from the location JNight said. My apologies. It works now. Thanks!
  11. leoroubos

leoroubos New Member

Thanks!

:2cool: Glad I joined this forum.

I have a Q9h (NL-Telfort) for some weeks and I still do not like the preset sounds, but I could not work it out.

Followed your simple instructions a few minutes ago, and I can use all the sounds (MP3 & MIDI) I want now for all alerts.

:laugh2: So easy, but you just have to know that little trick....

:smile: I did not even have to restart my phone.

:laugh2: Thanks again!
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard leoroubos..

(Holland as in the Netherlands ?)
  13. leoroubos

leoroubos New Member

Yes, from The Netherlands

:laugh2: Thanks for the warm welcome.

And Yes, Holland as in The Netherlands, Europe. Not that village in Michigan.

:2cool: I like your logo rudeboy. I have had a button on my jacket for years with exactly the same logo of The Specials. Or was it The Selector? Or Madness? Bad Manners was quite different, I am sure. But that was years ago.... :wink: