Tethering Q to X-BOX 360 Elite?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by daisyd681, Oct 20, 2007.

1. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

Tethering Q to X-BOX 360 Elite?

So my husband and I both got new toys last week. He got an X-Box elite and I got my Q. Now he wants to know if he can use my Q as a modem for his X-Box so he can play with his brother. Does anyone know if this is possible?TIA
  2. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

You would need a computer in between the phone and Xbox to do that because the Xbox has no support for DUN. The Xbox will charge the phone though :laugh2:
  3. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

:D Do they make 100 foot cables for that? It'll be interesting, my PC is at least 8 years old. We had Windows 98 on it and wiped the hard drive and installed XP. I barely got SP2 this week, so that I could link my phone up.

I bought the phone so I wouldn't have to get a new computer just yet.lol
  4. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

Okay, he says there is a wireless adapter for the xbox that he thinks is so you don't have to hook up a cable. Would that work? What would he need to get for the computer (remember it's old) to make them talk to each other?
  5. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

The wireless adapter is for 802.11B/G wireless ethernet. If there is a 802.11B/G wireless network already set up you would not need the phone at all. Even so, I would not recommend buying the wireless adapter. It is featureless and overpriced.

If there is not a 802.11B/G wireless network already set up, I can explain in further detail on how to connect phone > PC > Xbox.
  6. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

I would greatly appreciate a tutorial on setting this up for my husband. We have the cables with phone plugs coming out of the walls all through our house, but no ethernet service. Can we hook them that way? Or would we need some kind of sevice for that? Instructions would be great.
  7. j05h86

j05h86 New Member

The wireless adapter when i got it was $100 dollars, but i wouldn't of went a different way since my life is wireless. I have my laptop, my Q, my xbox 360, and a cable modem hooked up to a router. It beats running a cord through rooms to get it to the xbox =)
  8. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

Hi Josh. I do not play my 360 any more, but this is what I do to get it hooked up. I bought a WRT54G, flashed the firmware with GNU/Linux DD-WRT, and configured it for wireless client mode. Wireless bridge mode will also work, but only with one device behind it. I hook the 360 into the router and it either routes, or bridges the 360 to my wireless network through my 802.11N router in access point mode. The cost of the WRT54G was $50.
  9. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

No internet but for the Q. Got rid of dialup when I found out I could tether. Haven't figured out how yet though.
  10. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

Okay, I got *most* of that. I'm not sure how to slow the speed of the burn. I will most likely do this at my mom's house as she has broadband and a brand new pc with XP on it. Where do I find this burner program? Is it on XP or do I have to get it somewhere? I do have USB ports, I don't know if any are 2.0. I also don't know about ethernet capabilities. What exactly is that? Is it just broadband ability or something else entirely? I know I'm not very well versed in some technology things, but I'm a quick study. Would i be able to put it on a jump drive instead? In the past CD's written on my mom's pc haven't worked on mine. Of course that was before I got SP2.
  11. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

So will the ethernet cables coming out of my walls work for this or do I have to get new ones? I am assuming that they go to a hub somewhere in the wall. I will try the downloads you gave me tomorrow.
  12. Accordman

Accordman New Member

i mean honestly. thats a crapload of wok doing the whole lius thing. id just run some kind of broadband or see if the phone provider carries a card forthe pc the tether the pc itself though to the 360

posted on q
  13. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

Accordman, In a perfect world where money isn't an issue that's what I would do. As it is I may have to wait 'till payday to get this all set up. I got rid of the landline and the internet and my old cellphone to afford this Q so I'm going to get the most out of it.
  14. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

Xbox Live through WM5 AKU2 / Q with MOL2

What is the point of your post? Not only did you post twice in a row, you are misinformed on all counts. You fail. Get a basic networking education and take some remedial english classes.

As for everyone else, I tried to do this myself just for fun. I am on Xbox Live right now through my Q :wink:

Here are some basic requirements for doing this semi-easily:

PC:
    Functional USB ports, preferably USB 2.0
    At least 512 MB of ram
    An ethernet card or built-in ethernet.

WM5 Device:
    WM5 AKU2 or MOL2 or earlier

Misc:
    Ethernet hub and 2 cables or 1 crossover cable
    Mini USB to normal USB

The next step is set up the PC's OS. There are a few hurdles with doing this with Windows XP. First, bridging support is non-existent and the routing functionality AKA "Internet Connection Sharing" is buggy, featureless and slow. Second, it seems that in order to tether with Windows, you have to buy a third party utility. As you can see this is quickly getting expensive.

In comes GNU/Linux. It is free. Here is the link http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ . I would recommend downloading and burning this ISO at 24x or slower on a CD-R as an ISO. You can do this in Windows with a program called Deepburner. Once the disc is finished you will have a bootable GNU/Linux live environment that will not make any permanent changes to the computer, yet is still usable for these purposes.

We are going to go step by step from here.

1. Put the Ubuntu or other GNU/Linux CD in your drive and start up or reboot.

2. Choose the first option at bootup, if you have trouble reset and try the second option for VGA mode.

3. Once you see the desktop, open the terminal at Applications > Accessories. > Terminal

4. Type this command to edit your modem information.
    sudo nano /etc/wvdial.conf

5. Delete the contents of the file and paste the following here, deleting and filling in areas specific to your phone and provider. When you are finished, type CTRL-O and then hit enter to save. CTRL-X quits the editor.
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Stupid Mode = on
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    Baud = 921600
    Init = ATZ
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    Phone = #777
    Username = yournumberhere@alltel.net
    Password = alltel
    Init1 = ATZ
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    Auto Reconnect = on
    Carrier Check = no
    [Dialer shh]
    Init3 = ATM0
    [Dialer pulse]
    Dial Command = ATDP

6. Type this command to set the IP address of your ethernet adapter. ifconfig lists all adapters if you are unsure.
    sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1

7. Type these three commands in succession to enable IPv4 forwarding. (routing)
    sudo -s
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    exit

8. Connect the Xbox to the computer's ethernet port with a crossover cable or a hub and 2 standard ethernet cables.

9. Enable "Advanced Network Functionality" on the phone and reboot it to clear the memory.

10. Go to Start > Accessories > "Modem Link" on the phone and choose "Activate".

11. Connect the phone to the PC via the USB cable.

12. Establish the digital dialup link. CTRL-C terminates the connection. This terminal window should stay open during the entire connection. Do not close it! If all goes well after issuing the command, you will be connected to your cell provider and should be able to access the internet on your GNU/Linux router!
    sudo wvdial

13. Configure iptables to allow traffic to travel to and from the PPP interface and be forwarded to the other interfaces.
    sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

14. Finally, configure the Xbox for your new network. The IP should be 192.168.0.2 or any other unused IP on the subnet. The gateway should be 192.168.0.1. The DNS server should be one of the DNS servers listed in wvdial's output.

15. The Xbox connectivity test should work, and you should now be on live! Chatting and downloading things should be no problem. I would like to hear how playable the various games are for you.
  15. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

You are my hero.
    I am assuming that all that will mwke sense once I dig in to the program? I actually have to get some work done the next few days. I've had my nose stuck in this thing since I got it on the 12th. Thanks a million.
    Meira
  16. Accordman

Accordman New Member

the point of my post was to offer an alternative. no reason to be an asshat about it. i was on my q so i missed some keys big deal
  17. daisyd681

daisyd681 New Member

If you had read the posts in the thread you would have seen why it wasn't an alternative.
  18. Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick New Member

Actually I did not want a mentally retarded person spewing off wrong information. Stay out of this thread, troll, or I will be forced to report you to a mod. Once again you have broken forum etiquette and quoted a gigantic post. Just crawl into your shell and die.
  19. Accordman

Accordman New Member

go ahead and report i did nothing wrong to you, now your acting like a child about it, as i stated before i posted from my Q, so the proper spelling and syntax wasnt there . so what. so report away
  20. Suture

Suture New Member

Wouldn't the latency suck for gaming online over the Sprint wireless network?