Tethering Moto Q 9H with AT&T

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by jeff083077, Nov 12, 2007.

1. lschuman

lschuman New Member

Connecting Moto Q to PDA

Hello,

This may be related. I emailed AT&T to make sure that I wouldn't incur any charges by connecting my Moto Q (unlimited data plan, but no tethering plan added) to a PDA-type device via bluetooth.

Here is the response:
    Dear **********,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail the new AT&T regarding letting a PDA connect to your phone via bluetooth. My name is ***** ********, and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

In checking your account, I did see that you are currently using a 3G PDA phone. If you wish to purchase a PDA and allow it to connect via bluetooth, there will be no problems as bluetooth does not transfer data via internet. You do have a PDA personal plan with unlimited data so even if it did use internet, you would have no problems. The Motorola Q is also a 3G PDA phone. Please advise if we can assist you with anything else, Mr. *******, and thank you for being a long time customer. I would like to wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday season.

We are here to assist you. I encourage you to visit us at www.att.com/wireless often to view your monthly account statements, make payments and shop for new products and services. We greatly appreciate the opportunity to serve you. Should you have additional concerns or questions about this issue please reply to this email. If you need to contact us again regarding a new issue please send us another email via the contact link through your online account.

Sincerely,

Perhaps bluetooth-ing to a PDA-type device is okay because it will be using less bandwidth? At least I feel better now knowing that I won't be stuck with any surprises after I make my purchase.
  2. chuckh1958

chuckh1958 New Member

3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Editing some of the registry requires unlocking the phone. But I understand your concerns about it being your company phone.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You better save that email. I can only speak for att customers (being an att customer myself), but those cs reps don't communicate well between departments. There's the regular Customer Care department and the Business Care department. As an example, I call CC and to ask about unlock code. They said it will take a week. That can't be right. Then I call BC, they got the code for me in less than 5 mins. Just cover your back is all I'm saying.
  5. lschuman

lschuman New Member

Yeah, I've been an AT&T customer for eight years. I've always been treated cool by them; in fact, they traded my BlackJack II for my Moto Q Global (the new version with chrome and pinstripes) when the BJII kept dropping my data connection.

I will save the email, definitely. However, based on what I've read around these forums the few times I'll be using the Q for a data connection on a PDA or N810 tablet won't tilt me over any edge. Not like it might with a laptop.
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I've been a long time customer myself, since they were Cellular One (I think that's what they were called???). You've been one of the lucky ones who have never had the joy of ever receiving a $600 bill when your bill should have only been $50. Not specifically refering to tethering, but in general. Sometimes something goes wrong. Be it system error or miscommunication. It's an uphill battle sometimes to prove that they made the mistake. I'm not saying att intentionally have bad pracitices but things happen.

And also thank you for sharing that email with us. That will prob ease the minds (or conscience) of others as well.
  7. chuckh1958

chuckh1958 New Member

Are you talking about AT&T or Verizon? I dumped Verizon wireless because the bills were ALWAYS screwed up. Now I have to deal with then for internet, phone, and cable TV. And of course the bills are always screwed up again. I've been trying to get just ONE BILL that's right since January 2008 and I'm still waiting. My last bill was > $600. It's supposed to be about $99.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I'm talkin about att. Just the cellphone bill. No tv, phone, cable. Just cellphone bill. They messed up and said I went over my minutes. But I had plenty of minutes and plenty of rollover. Then they said I was roaming. I said sorry, I didn't go anywhere. I don't think it's carrier specific. I hear horror stories about vzw, sprint and att customer service all the time.
  9. lschuman

lschuman New Member

Wow, nobody I know has ever had a bill like that. What a nightmare! I think your comment is right on: I wasn't terribly worried about getting caught with huge data usage since I probably will be using WiFi most often. But my conscience would have bugged me a little, particularly since AT&T has been so helpful to me. I must be getting soft in my old age (33). BTW - do you know if the Silicon Valley has a lot of WiFi coverage? We travel through your fair city once a month for appointments at Stanford's children hospital. I would like to know if bringing a laptop is worthwhile...
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Here's a list of hotspots in palo alto:

http://www.hotspot-locations.com/mo...hs_roaming=&externalquery=&backFrom=0&back=<<
  11. carracer

carracer New Member

unhide task

You must enter windows then menu ,options then unhide hidden files then go back and scroll to find intshur then send shortcut to doc files . also you must change the attics to medianet or it will cost you data prices.
  12. lschuman

lschuman New Member

13. FFSephiroth86

FFSephiroth86 New Member

Just a little more detail on the help portion please

I've read over this whole forum... I downloaded the shared file on this thread about the ICS service, I've tried the ATT CM and they both won't work. I keep getting the Error 734 with the ATT CM, and I don't know how to load the ICS folder into Vista that this thread supplied. The setup file in it is an XML file, not an exe file. So if you guys could be of any assistance with either how to run a setup with the folder that was supplied in this thread, or how to fix the Error 734 in ATT CM that'd be great. I have unlimited data, unlimited texting, and 700 minutes a month family plan. I don't have a tethering plan. I have the Moto Q9h Global Edition with Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard Edition originally.
  14. chuckh1958

chuckh1958 New Member

Probably the easiest thing to try is to use the phone as a modem. Go into the settings app on the phone and press 7-1-6 then change the usb type to "modem" and connect it to your laptop with a usb cable. If plug and play works correctly it should install it as a modem. The # to dial I believe is *99#. I'll double check that when I get to my laptop. Leave the user name and password blank.
  15. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

FFSephiroth86, why don't you just use the Internet Connection Sharing Tool?
  16. chuckh1958

chuckh1958 New Member

Like you I was never able to get it to work. Not in Windows, or Linux, after several days of trying. OTOH I was able to get the USB modem solution working in a matter of minutes.

Also I double checked the dialup # and it is correct - *99#
  17. mshuert

mshuert New Member

I can't get this to run on my new HP mini. Keep getting an error message after "registering computer on the network" that states PPP protocol link has been terminated.

My Toshiba laptop connected automatically without needing any manual connections, but not this HP.

Any ideas? I've tried setting this up a number of different times all with the same result.

Thanks,

M
  18. chuckh1958

chuckh1958 New Member

I was tinkering with ICS again today and following the instructions in this thread must have overwritten the default start menu shortcut for it. I created a link to IntShrui.exe and it's not the same as the preinstalled link. Can someone please tell me where that link is supposed to point? It's under Office Tools, ICS.

Just to be clear this is an AT&T Q9H.

Thanks.
  19. mshuert

mshuert New Member

I'm sorry, where is the Internet sharing tool located?

Thank you.
  20. bmurf

bmurf New Member

As long as you have WM6.1, there is no need to copy shortcuts or use pdanet with ATT.

Get a registry editor and change the following keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings]
    "ForceCellConnection"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\ATT ICS]
    "ReadOnly"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\MEdia Net]
    "ReadOnly"=dword:00000000

Then when you open Internet Connection Sharing, just select MediaNet instead of ATT ICS. Or do what I do, and go to Setting, Connections, and delete ATT ICS all together.