Tethering Moto Q 9H with AT&T

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by jeff083077, Nov 12, 2007.

1. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

it shouldn't affect your gps receiver... if hard resetting your phone is not an issue, I would try that.
  2. Rood87

Rood87 New Member

Okay, I'm trying to avoid hard resetting my phone, but if noone else has any other insight into it, I guess I might have to.
  3. acuraintegralove

acuraintegralove New Member

This really is the best way to go about it... PDA net sucks, and why would you go through all that when your phone supports it by default?
  4. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

How does GPS not work? Sometimes it appears to not work, but you have to just keep trying to connect. Restart the ap, retry, and eventually it will get a connection.
  5. baimo

baimo New Member

Obviously the internet sharing app is the way to go if you are tethering via USB cable, but pdanet is a nice small app that supports BT tethering. The IS program does not. Or you can create other connections as mentioned earlier in the thread.
  6. Rood87

Rood87 New Member

Problems with ICS Program

I did a hard reset of my phone and everything is up and running fine now. If you have a Q9H with the built-in GPS Receiver, I recommend staying away from the ICS program that is listed on the second page of this thread. Somehow this program messes up your gps receiver and wont allow it to run at all... I am successfully using Intshrui now and google maps with no problems whatsoever.
  7. muttman06

muttman06 New Member

NEED HELP - ICS connected once today and now it is giving error "remote party has ended this connection"
  8. baimo

baimo New Member

that is usualy a password -settings problem. check all your settings and redo the if nessecary
  9. bigmikelv

bigmikelv New Member

for some reason i keep getting Error 703, when trying to connect with my Q9h. I disabled the modem but it still won't connect.
  10. MannyRay

MannyRay New Member

Make sure you have "Hide System Files" unchecked for the File manager option (this is located under Menu (softkey) > Options).

would be nice if the USB charged the phone while sharing the network connection...
  11. gobble

gobble New Member

I got this to work. Thanks Tinstar.

Has anyone every been charged by ATT for data while tethering? I plan to use it only one or two days a month and don't want a nasty surprise.
  12. endobrian

endobrian New Member

I found out what causes this. RF noise nearby. If I place my phone next to a plasma TV that's on, 3g fails and rolls over to edge...then a few minutes after that fails all together. Move it away from the TV and it's perfect 100% of the time.
  13. drait

drait New Member

Not on any of my current devices, but back when I had my SE P800 AWS surprised me with a $400 data bill.
  14. jamiefettig

jamiefettig New Member

Ics

I downloaded and installed it, but didn't get anything on my start menu?
    Did I do it wrong?
  15. NicaKart

NicaKart New Member

For what it's worth, I can tell you that the Internet Sharing software on the AT&T 8525 pocket pc I had previously did the same thing. You always had to change the "Connection Settings" (under "File") to UNcheck the "allow USB connections". To sync, you had to go back in to Connection Settings and CHECK the "allow USB connections".

NicaKart
  16. tiogatx

tiogatx New Member

Tethering to Vista OS Laptop

I just got a Q9h and love it, but I cannot figure out how to tether it BLUE TOOTHLY to my laptop. I have the 2 paired according to my Q, I have the Q bluetooth ON and checked allow other bluetooth devices to see this phone. I attempt to connect from laptop (Vista) and I have the Q as a bluetooth device in the laptop, but it says connection failed. Anyone else been down this road????
  17. tendomentis

tendomentis New Member

If you search the forum for Bluetooth DUN, you'll see a few threads on this topic. Tethering via Bluetooth can only be done using the bluetooth dial-up networking profile (modem profile) that treats your phone like an external modem.

There are two clear downsides to using Bluetooth tethering.

1. Your phone will be exhausing its battery faster than if you tethered via USB.

2. Your connection speed will be limited to a maximum (although most rarely see this high of a speed) of 728kbps. 3G goes well into the 1mbps range, so you're losing possible bandwidth via bluetooth.
  18. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

1. Plug your phone in to a charger. The idea of BT is it's convenient. You can have the phone in your pocket or bag while using your laptop.

2. My status shows I am constantly connected at 921.6kbps. I keep my phone in 3G.

Attached Files:

19. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I've only gotten into the 700kbps speeds once. The rest of the time I average around 400kbps. I feel like I'm getting gypped.
  20. tendomentis

tendomentis New Member

If I'm plugging my phone into a charger, then I might as well plug it into my laptop to charge (and tether while I'm at it). If I'm using my laptop for the internet instead of my phone's browser, then "convenience" is no longer in the picture.

That speed reported is the max theoretical speed for a serial port (which your computer is fooled into thinking it is using). The max theoretical speed for bluetooth without EDR is 721kbps (not 728kbps like I originally thought), which is the absolute fastest that your phone can transfer data to your laptop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

In real world tests, you'll find speeds much less than 721kbps though.