Tethering Moto Q 9H with AT&T

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by jeff083077, Nov 12, 2007.

1. RPM

RPM New Member

Hi, I'm about as nubie as it gets using PDA's. I tried following the instructions here to use my Q as a modem. I d/l at&t connection manager and set it up. It recognises my phone and GSM network. But, when I try to connect I get error 734.

I have unlimited data usage so I called AT&T. They said I have to purchase a seperate plan to tether. Is this right or is there a way around buying an additional plan?
  2. Tin Star

Tin Star New Member

Look at my post #5 and follow the directions to make the phone tether. As far as another plan, if you are only using it to occasionally check your email while waiting at the airport etc you are probably okay. If however, you are using it for an internet connect to do a lot of surfing on a regular basis, I suggest you may want to use another plan.
  3. WPG

WPG New Member

RPM,
    If your using ur phone as a modem, they cant tell what your doing, they will tell you all sorts of things. Yes you can use the at&t connection manager or you can use ICS or PDANET. I do believe at&t connection manager is setup to call home. its going to tell att data usage, time online, laptop info, and mobile #.
    Using ICS either my way or Tinstars way same result, I life having a ICS icon on my start menu. The program I included does just that, then you run ICS from the start menu after plugging in your USB cable to your laptop, active sync will start up, your laptop will see your phone etc. click the connect on your phone and your online.
    But the ATT CM there is no reason to use it, I tested it just to see with my Q, I'm over 1000 mobile users connecting with laptops using att cm, its just a GUI to make it easier for people. Yes if you call att and tell them you want to use your laptop to get online, they want you to buy a package for that. But your Q has a built in modem to do that very thing, data is data if you have an unlimited plan. Just as if you used your phone with MOBI TV or SLING, att video, XM radio that's alot of data, but its unlimited. That's what you are paying for, to use your phone to its advertised ability. Your not hacking your phone and making it do something it wasn't designed to do. Its listed as a spec under att description of the Q.
  4. RPM

RPM New Member

That's exactly how I look at it. I bought my Q because it has internal GPS and G3. So far I haven't been able to take advantage of either. My old iPAQ was a far better PDA, but it was slow.

TinStar, I tried using IntShrUI but it just locked up my Q. I just tried it again and son of a gun it works! Thanks for the help guys!
  5. Tin Star

Tin Star New Member

To prevent the lockup start IntShrUI and hit connect prior to plugging up the usb cable and use IntShrUI disconnect prior to unplugging the usb cable.
  6. Factor_R

Factor_R New Member

Many many MANY thanks, Tin Star! This was simple and I am now enjoying my newfound wirelessness.
  7. baimo

baimo New Member

it does not need to be extracted at all, it is already an installed appplication in WM6. Just make a shortcut to your start menu and you are good to go, just run it from start menu.

No problem. ask as many questions as you need. I will answer anything that I know.
  8. pimpin-tl

pimpin-tl New Member

Everytime I try to start the inetmdm program my Q locks up. Any ideas? Nevermind I see the post above.
  9. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

Thanks Tin, Im using this method of connecting now, and its great! Id love to see BT support soon though :) I got 109.2kbps on Cnets bandwidth meter...not terrible for a Edge connection
  10. Tin Star

Tin Star New Member

If that was to me it is Tin not Tim and you are welcome. There is some BT support coming
  11. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

fixed :) Any details on who and when that BT support wll come from?
  12. mshuebs

mshuebs New Member

intshrui Hidden file

I have searched & searched...Cannot find the IntShrUI.exe file? HELP PLEASE
  13. mshuebs

mshuebs New Member

OK i found it finally.. How do I pin to start menu? Thanks
  14. Tin Star

Tin Star New Member

Once you locate IntShrUI in Windows....click Menu (right softkey) find create shortcut am\nd hit center round button....it will look like nothing has happened...now go to Windows/start menu...open it and click "done" left softkey....IntShrUI will now show up in your start menu
  15. RPM

RPM New Member

Just a quick FYI. After using my Q as a modem 4 or 5 times AT&T has cut off my service. I have the $19,95 unlimited data Smartphone plan, but apparently it's not unlimited. Also, if you check the TOS tethering to a laptop or PC is not allowed. I also ran across a news story about a guy in Canada that was billed thousands of dollars for unauthorized data use by AT&T for tethering without a plan.

It looks like I will have to sign up for a much more expensive ($59.99) PDA tethering plan if I want to continue using it as a modem. Be carefull!!
  16. Tin Star

Tin Star New Member

They are very aware of usage. That is why I have always advised to not think you can tether full time on a smartphone plan. Nothing is free.:smile:
  17. jeff083077

jeff083077 New Member

BT Support

Tethering my Q has been working great! Thanks for everybody's contributions to this post. Any word yet on the blue tooth support for the tethering? I belive my old device with windows mobile 5 supported it?

Any ideas?

Thanks -
    Jeff
  18. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

I believe there are instructions out there on how to connect via Bluetooth. I know I copied them and put it in a Word doc - but I haven't had a need to try it out for myself yet.

I'll pass it over if you want to give it a shot. I don't remember where I got them from or who posted them because I just copied the instructions. Also, I got two sets of instructions, with one set being slightly different as far as some of the settings go. So you might want to try both out and see which one works out better as far as speed goes.

Post back and let us know because I might do it soon as well.

MaRiA :)

P.S.
    Apparently my Word doc was too big, saved it as txt file.

Attached Files:

19. jeff083077

jeff083077 New Member

Thank you Maria!

Will give it a shot :)
  20. Rood87

Rood87 New Member

Hey guys, I used the ICS.cab and now when I go into Google maps, my gps isn't working anymore... Does anyone know why this might be? And how I can get it working again please? I have a Rogers Wireless Q9H...