Tethering Basics - as in how to?

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by EQBob, Apr 23, 2009.

1. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Tethering Basics - as in how to?

I searched for keywords of tethering and basics and came up with squat. I have never tethered and have no knowledge of how to do so.

Is there a quick and easy how to guide in someone's head just dying to come out through their fingers to a keyboard near you?

What would I need, HW/SW?
    How would I do it?
    Does it work reliably?
    If I have the 29.99 plan on Verizon, could I do this?

Any help appreciated.
  2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Best application for tethering is one called PDAnet google that its like 20 or 30 bucks or something and its the best program out there for tethering in my opinion. Works great used it in my Q and now in my saga. Just make sure you have the unlimited data plan and you are fine, dont buy the service from verizon because they will rip you off.
    If you need any help just let me know.
  3. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I don't understand. How could I not buy the service from Verizon? They're my carrier.
  4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

They are my carrier too. This program works very well. You are already technically paying verizon for the usage of the unlimited data anyway. I'd research PDAnet great program like I said been running it for over a year now no issues.
  5. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Ok. So I read the bllurb on PDANet. It doesn't calrify however one important concept.

Does PDANet have to be installed *from* the computer (laptop) you want to tether?

I have my phone se up to synch with my desktop, when I do that. I dn't want to tether my desktop, I want to tether my laptop. Do I have to set up an entirely new Activesync connection with my laptop to tether?

This is all about as clear as mud.
  6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

install it on the computer you want to tether. there are 2 parts one is installed on the computer and one on the phone. so if you want install it on the phone than on the other computer you want to use it on. sorry if this message looks weird its my first time responding from my saga.
  7. SDNick484

SDNick484 New Member

Just be aware that by using PDAnet without paying for "BroadbandAcess Connect", you're in violation of Verizon's Terms of Service:
    <<<<<
    PDA/smartphone and BlackBerry® Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect.
    >>>>>
    Thus far I haven't heard of them cracking down on people for using it, and it may be a little difficult to detect (unless you do something stupid like run a torrent program). However when they do, the bill could easily be major.
    -----
    As for the original poster, the official Verizon policy is you need a tethering feature called "BroadbandAccess Connect" which runs either $15 or $30 a month depending on whether you're on the $45 or $30 PDA data plan (so it cost $60 total regardless). I presume you need some sort of driver and possibly dialing software in Windows, but I don't know the details (I run Linux, and tethering works fine there).
  8. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

Pdanet is great Ive used it since i first heard about it on my q1 and i have NEVER been charged for tethering......and this is VUUURRRRRHIEEEZZZUNNN people.
    Yes Bob, it does have to be installed on the computer you want to use first. I actually have the installer on my sd card and by using wm5torage to access my sd card on any computer regardless of if it has activesync or not I can install Pdanet and be online in less than 3 mins.
  9. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ok...I figured there was a PC component and a phone component. That's not what "worries" me.

I sync to Desktop 1 with a named partnership.
    I can install there and get phone portion on phone.
    I want to tether to Laptop1 without creating a partnership in ActiveSync.
    Can I just instal the desktop component on the laptop or is ActiveSync involved and necessary.

I do not know what wm5storage is.
  10. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

11. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I'm out of my realm here with phones, but that thread and info, which you authored superbly by the way, seems to change a lot of settings? I'm concerned (because I don't know any better) that this will change other things that I need to work solidly? It's adding networks, changing connection types, etc.... I'm not comfortable at a tech level with it yet I guess, is the best way to explain it?