"Tether" iPod Touch to Sprint Q9c?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by web1b, Jul 21, 2008.

1. web1b

web1b New Member

"Tether" iPod Touch to Sprint Q9c?

I'd like to use the Safari Browser on an Ipod Touch to web surf rather than fight with the Q9c's slow browsers and small screen. An iPod Touch would be much more portable than carrying a laptop.

Can this be done via PDANet + a Cradlepoint?
    Does cradlepoint work with a PDANet connection?

Is there another way without buying a PC card plus PC card plan?
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

haven't seen anybody try that yet, have you signed up for skyfire yet? www.skyfire.com

they should bee opening their Beta 2 group any time now...
  3. papped

papped New Member

Opera Mini 4.1 is very far from slow... With the server backend it's gonna be faster than Safari due to the sites being optimized before trasferring to the phone.
  4. web1b

web1b New Member

I'll look at Skyfire, but the problem with both Skyfire and Opera Mini is that they both forward your web browsing through their servers and capture your secure logins/passwords to e-mail, online banking etc..

You have to remember to use a different browser if you need to log into anything where you have any value placed on the security of your login information.
  5. papped

papped New Member

With opera mini 3.0 advanced and above, all data connections are supposed to be SSL encrypted.
  6. web1b

web1b New Member

Maybe "re-encypted" through their service, but you have to have blind faith in their security and all their employees that have access to the data.
    It intercepts and gets in the middle of your page requests.
    All the secure data connections that would normally be a direct connections between you and your e-mail account, bank, credit card company, Paypal etc are rerouted through their servers so they can re-render the faster-loading pages and pass through your log in info.
    It is risky.
  7. Surfer

Surfer New Member

No its not possible, Touches only use wifi connections.
  8. web1b

web1b New Member

I know. The Cradlepoint creates a WIFI connection hotspot from your EDVO connection. The iPod touch would connect to that.
    They only question remaining is whether the Cradlepoint can make a WIFI connection from a Q9C that's using PDANet or if Cradlepoint only works with "normal" tethering through the Windows Mobile OS.
    I don't think Sprint even offers a tethering plan for my Q9C, so if Cradlepoint doesn't work with PDANet connections, my only option would be to buy a USB or PC card EVDO adpater, but that costs another $50-$60 per month. At that price, it would be cheaper to just switch to AT&T and get an iPhone than use the iPod Touch.
  9. omg its nate

omg its nate New Member

How about just get an iphone? :laugh2:

:runs away:
  10. web1b

web1b New Member

High monthly fees, early termination fees to switch to AT&T early, no voice dialing and no stereo bluetooth.
    This would be much cheaper and I would get to keep my phone that has voice dialing and stereo bluetooth and get the best points of the iPhone with an iPod Touch at the same time.
    Maybe I will get a iPhone 3.0 with voice dialing and stereo bluetooth in 2009 if even the new Blackberry Thunder still isn't good enough of a substitute when it comes to Sprint next year.
  11. wirshad

wirshad New Member

Yes, sure.

Yeah, its possible and I have done it with my Q9c and itouch.

There are two routes you can take:

1) Q9c + CradlePoint (I have the PHS300). Cradlepoint has built-in software (like pdanet), so pdanet is not involved. All you have to do is complete the initial configuration of cradlepoint (like SSID, securitry etc..), activate ICS on the Q9c, thats it! (plug in the usb wire to Q9C from cradlepoint and done. VERY RELIABLE and works all the time.
    Cost: $150 (PHS300)

2) Q9C + Spectec mini SDIO wifi card (Q9 specific version) + WMWifiRouter . Works with Winmo 6.0 (does not work with the latest 6.1 unfortunately. Even then, the wmwifirouter app is a pathetic excuse for being a software. Extremely buggy and frustrating. Works when the app is stable. COST: $50 (wifi card) + $25 (app) = $75

Although the 2nd solution is much more compact (just a mini SDIO card that sticks out a little bit, annoying), its just not reliable and the app is just crap. I would recommend the first solution, since that will work not only for itouch, but also laptops and other devices. Note that cradlepoint has its own rechargeable battery, so it wont leach on Q9c's limited battery life! PHS300 produces a FAR stronger/reliable/faster signal than mini SDIO card.

I personally didnt get the iphone 3G cuz I need a physical keyboard for writing emails, damn it! :) Thats non-negotiable! Iphone is cute and all, but I type on my Q9c fast enough for the keyboard to catch fire, the iphone can never compare with that!

12. web1b

web1b New Member

I have WM 6.1 Sounds like the Cradlepoint would be the way to go as long as it doesn't look to Sprint like I have it tethered to a laptop.
    I will be only web browsing on the iPod screen, so there should be no massive increase in data useage to draw attention.
    There is a rumor that the iPod Touch is going to be refreshed in a couple months, and the 8GB model is going away, but the 16GB will then sell for the price of the 8GB model. 8/16/32 GB models will be replaced with 16/32/64 GB models.
    I will wait for that and get the lower priced 16GB model..

13. Thomas M

Thomas M New Member

Was thinking about this the other day and havent tested it yet but why not use the wifi card set to ad-hoc and and just ICS? Why would you need WMWifiRouter if the Q can act as router when connecting to a device through PAN or USB?
  14. papped

papped New Member

Tbh, I was pro hardware keyboard as a necessity forever. But I can type very quickly on my Instinct soft keyboard. The instinct however lets you use the qwerty in landscape view, so I can't comment on the iPhone which forces vertical use.
  15. wirshad

wirshad New Member

Not that simple..

Routing internet thru the ad-hoc connection is quite a bit more complicated than just ICS. Its not that simple or straightforward unfortunately. I tried the adhoc/ics , nope. Itouch will connect (adhoc works) but no internet! There is a reason why people pay $25 for that app, it does a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, its buggy and not optimized for the Q9C.. and apparently doesnt play well with WM6.1 either.

16. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Member

Does anyone know how to activate ICS on the Q9c?

Edit: nevermind. Looks like Sprint disabled this feature. That sucks.

Looking to upgrade the Q9C now to either a Samsung Intrepid, an HTC Touch Pro 2, or a Treo Pro maybe.
  17. terceslil

terceslil New Member

I have the Moto Q9c and the Cradlepoint. I want to connect to my laptop with XP but keep getting the infinite "waiting for network". Is there any way to get the wifi connection through the Cradlepoint to my laptop?