Tehtering w/o tethering plan via usb on 6.1 (ATT)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by cyberillusion, Jul 30, 2008.

1. cyberillusion

cyberillusion New Member

Welcome :smile:
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I used it on Vista, worked like a CHARM.
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

No, you need to wait sometimes. It doesn't always connect right away. I've seen mine take up to about 4 mins or so. So just be patient. If it doesn't do it by then, I'd restart the phone, and try again. If that doesn't work, change ports.

You're device is working fine, because if it was still locked, instead of saying, "connected", it would say, "waiting for network"
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Ok, so here is what I did:

Connected phone to usb port.
    Fired up ICS
    Connect with Media Net
    After 15 mins:
    Status (phone) says 'connected'
    Status in network and sharing center says 'access: local only'

Then I tried a second port, vista installed drivers, been waiting 30 mins (while browsing this forum), still yields same result. Heeelp..........
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Hm, did you reboot phone and PC ????
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes... several times. What's weird is my BT dial-up connects just fine. Doesn't this connect the same way?

Under connection settings, what is media net supposed to connect to? SecurWAP, WAP, Work or Internet?
  7. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Hm, sounds weird bud.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well that sux... at least I can still tether via BT. I just wish I had the option of both. And I hate the feeling when I can't get something to work.... AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH :angry:. I'm gonna figure this out sooner or later. Thanks anyway...much appreciated :smile:.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well now... I have created a dial-up via usb on my laptop. It connects just fine. Now I have both BT and USB dial-up. Guess I don't really need ICS app now. I guess the only real difference for me is that I have to initiate connection from my laptop as opposed to ICS on my phone.
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah, but thats odd that your DUN works but not the ICS. Really weird. But hey, whatever works !!!! :smile:
  11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I made the sticky, complete with photos and instructions:

Done and done
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yeah, can't figure it out either... oh well.
  13. RedScare

RedScare New Member

I'm a bit mystified by the ICS App on my phone. Can anyone explain how to use it?
    • Is it for sharing the net with my PC or the other way around?
    • I'm used to initiating tethering FROM the PC, and not really doing anything on the phone... how does this differ?
    Thanks in advance.
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

It's basically tethering except initiated from the phone. You get the same end result: connecting pc to internet via phone. For some reason I can't get it to work. But it doesn't really matter because I can initiate from PC, just as you are doing.
  15. tendomentis

tendomentis New Member

Did anyone notice that the Bluetooth PAN option was available in the AT&T ICS app? I haven't tried it yet, and was wondering if anyone else had.

Bluetooth PAN was an option sorely missing in the 6.0 build for the Q9 Global; if it's available now, that means that they upgraded the BT stack on the phone.
  16. cyberillusion

cyberillusion New Member

Your phone is sharing it's internet connection with your PC.

It works the exact same way as ICS would work between two PC's. PC A is setup to share it's internet connection with PC B, PC B is told that it connects to another computer running ICS to access the internet. In this case PC A happens to be your WM phone rather than another PC.

With no moddifications, when launching ICS on the phone, your forced to use the secure tethering only option (ATT ICS), but with the mod, your able to select a general connection that doesn't authenticate your access (it just makes sure that you actually have some sort of data feature on your phone) (MEdia Net).

To use it, make the modification in the registry per the first post. Start ICS (Start > Office Tools > Internet Connection Sharing)

Once ICS is up, select MEdia Net as the service to connect to and make sure USB is selected. Then connect your phone to the PC via USB and once all the initialization is done and everything is set up correctly (drivers and what not) your computer will recognize your phone as an ICS Device and attempt to connect to it, ICS on the phone, when it recieves that request will automatically connect. If it doesn't do it automatically, try hitting connect in ICS on the phone.

Also, while ICS is open (for me it doesn't matter if it's connected or not, just that it's running) the phone will not use ActiveSync to sync with your PC, you must shut down ICS in order to sync as usual.
  17. RedScare

RedScare New Member

Thanks for the detailed description. I just tried it out, and it worked great. I have a tethering plan, so I didn't bother with the reg hacks.

I think I like initiating it from the phone side, as it saves me having anything set up on my PC. I have DUN setup, but I'm not sure I see any advantage of it.
  18. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

The advantage I see is you can tether any latop or pc without having to set up DUN every time. Just plug in your phone and fire up ICS.
  19. cyberillusion

cyberillusion New Member

As long as it's windows based... not sure if linux/mac or any other OS supports ICS. I could not get my wifes laptop to do it and it's running linux.
  20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Oh yah... I wouldn't think it would work with other OS without the necessary drivers (if there are even drivers for available).