task manager

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by 2michaelwu, Jul 23, 2008.

1. 2michaelwu

2michaelwu New Member

task manager

When I used the task manager to check all the running programs, I can always go to the MENU and do KILL or KILL ALL to delete the current running program. Howerver, this time I try to use this method to KILL, one file is still there....and it is called poutlook.exe.........by anyhow I could kill this file, and anybody know what is this file for.......

Thanks....I love this forum, it saves me a lot of times for finding solutions.:smile:
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

poutlook is pocket outlook

-Sent from my Q9c
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

When you kill some apps, it will show up as it's file name. Just like poutlook.exe. As hockey stated, poutlook.exe is the contacts app (pocket outlook). When you exit task manager and open it again it won't be there. So this means that it's killed. Don't know why it does that...
  4. 2michaelwu

2michaelwu New Member

Yes....thanks for the reply....what I did another approach....after I kill the program in the task manager, I did refresh it, but the poutlook.exe was still there......so I did turn off the phone and turned it back on.....the poutlook.exe was gone.........I LEARNED SOMETHING....need to be no panic, turn off the phone, miracle will come......
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

why are you so set on killing tasks ?

potQ9c
  6. 2michaelwu

2michaelwu New Member

Rudyboy....as to answer to your question Why.....that is a long story. As the very beginning using the 9h, I have hard time to connect with the internet, once I got connected, I got excited and did chatting with friends, very pound of the phone feature; but I did not reconized the run time, by some mistake at that time my carrier did not set up my phone right for having unlimed internet service....by the next month, I got the limited usage message and I need to pay HUGE (triple than the cost of my phone)..and by that time onward...I make sure to kill the internet program when I am done......Fortuately, I am using the UNLIMITED internet now...
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

if you have unlimited data you have nothing to worry about it really.. but obviously you can (and will :} do what you want..

potQ9c
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah, but it seems like he was saying was that before, he wasnt on his unlimited plan, but he is at the moment, though it sounds like it could change. Thats what Im gathering anyway. Once you get billed for something (I've been billed for 3K one time, long story) of internet usage, trust me, you get pretty paranoid.
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

oh I understand... even though it never happened to me.. luckily.

potQ9c
  10. cjpederson

cjpederson New Member

Is there any real advantage/disadvantage to killing tasks? Does the phone bog down if there are several things running at once? I also have gotten in the habit of killing tasks (in the 1 week I've owned my Q9c), but I'll quit wasting my time if it doesn't help anything.
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

there are 1-2 tasks i know might cost me processor speed, those i kill... but for the rest i let WM do it's thing. i did some testing on the Q1 i had and noticed no significant difference so i quit killing tasks.. there are however folks here that will tell you different..
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

disadvantages...buttons wear and tear, loss of valuable time and some effort needed. =)
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

indeed... plus starting the Task Manager countless times a day can't help the battery life..

potQ9c
  14. Boycan

Boycan New Member

I never kill tasks like tf says why add wear and tear to the keypad if you notice when you go to task manager most times it is all that is using any cpu :)
  15. halo0

halo0 New Member

Is there no way to close an application without killing it in the task manager?? This has been driving me nuts.
  16. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

most 2rd party apps have an exit feature....rom apps dont

-Sent from my Q9n
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

It drove me nuts for a while too. Then I got used to it. What I did was to make the right soft key point to task manager so its easily accessible.
  18. halo0

halo0 New Member

This is my first windoze mobile device so I guess I have to get used to it. I presume the OS is set up to start killing old apps if new apps need the memory?
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You assumed wrong...
  20. halo0

halo0 New Member

So... none of the default apps on the phone are able to be closed except by killing them in the task manager, and the OS won't kill them either?

I don't get it.