Take Control of Your Scrolling Speed! (Q9h)

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by bblevins, Apr 25, 2008.

1. bblevins

bblevins New Member

Take Control of Your Scrolling Speed! (Q9h)

You can adjust the delay and scrolling speed of the side rocker buttons by doing the following.

*Note: this requires editing the registry. I use Resco Registry (part of Resco Explorer). A backup of the registry is highly recommended before starting. At the very least, export this branch so you have a copy of the default values.

Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Keybd

To change the delay before scrolling, modify the key “RockerInitialDelay” (without quotes). The default setting is 1000 (for one second). You can adjust this to make it longer or shorter. I changed mine to 250 (1/4 of a second). I find this to be best because I use this button to quickly scroll through menus, web pages, etc. You can find the value that’s best for you.

To change the scrolling speed, modify the key “RockerMinRate” (without quotes). The default here is 10. I changed mine to half of this (5) because I want it to have a quick response time once it gets going. Again, find the setting that’s to your liking.

** Make sure you don’t make either of these two values too small or it will be too quick to be usable. The good news is that the changes are immediate, so you can test it out. No need to shut down the device and restart. **

In this same section, you’ll see the keys “InitialDelay” and “RepeatRate”. This is for the directional button on the front of the phone. You can modify these values to mirror the settings you’ve created for the side rocker buttons. The only difference is that you have to restart the phone to see the changes. I recommend playing around to find the settings you like on the side buttons before changing these two keys. You may want to have different settings for each (use faster settings for the side for speed and slower on the directional for accuracy).

Have Fun!! :smile:
  2. pjsnyc

pjsnyc New Member

Does this work on the Q1? Anyone try it? I'll report back if i get it to work.
  3. bblevins

bblevins New Member

Not sure if this works for that model. You should be able to fins similar keys however ...
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

any reason why you posted this hack twice? (second time being today?)

other thread has been deleted
  5. crazykay

crazykay New Member

Dang n99hockey some of these people are on a roll today arent they!!! :tounge:
  6. bblevins

bblevins New Member

Wow! Sorry guys ... This was my first post to a forum and I wasn't sure if I put it in the right place. Sorry to offend. I'll keep my mouth shut in the future ...
  7. n99hockey

then say something....we try to keep double posting down and keep the clutter out...if you have a question ask or arent sure ask...

dont post it here one day and somewhere else the next especially if you already have a dialog going in one of the threads
  8. bblevins

bblevins New Member

Thank you for the advice on asking somone. Had I known who to pose this question to, I would have. I can understand the need to keep "clutter" down and you make very good points. I was only trying to be helpful and contribute. I see that with over 15K posts, you would have been a good resource. I hope that your experience with post #1 was better than mine ... It seems that my mistake is more of a concern that whether my comments were helpful or not.
  9. n99hockey

mhmmmmm....
    just trying to keep it clean:wink:

carry on
  10. kilcher

kilcher New Member

Thanks for the tip. Interesting thing is that my phone was already set at 500, and 5. I changed it to 250.
  11. masterdelusion

masterdelusion New Member

Does this work for Q9c?
  12. bblevins

bblevins New Member

Not sure if it does. If you open the registry and see these same keys, my guess is that the results would be the same.