Syncing your Motorola Q with a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by chris, Jun 17, 2006.

1. tankgirl12

tankgirl12 New Member

do u really like it?

Do you really love the Q? i don't really but I'm stuck with it for awhile. it freezes up sometime and a little annoying to navigate. if i could do it all over again i would have just purchased the Treo. There might be other neat phones out there now too.
    I bought the Q, then bought the missing sync, then missing sync only worked with Tiger, so i needed to upgrade. i should just used all that money to buy a new Treo.
    But i'm sure it will work out for you if you have your heart set on it.
  2. sundevil67

sundevil67 New Member

Sync Issues - OSX/Q

I am still not 100% sure; I'd like an iPhone, but I can't do business with Cingular - their network is almost as horrible as their customer service. The Q is my second-choice though, because I am tiring of my Treo. I think Palm OS is on it's way out, and that support is waning. The Q seems like a good phone, but I have to be 100% certain that it will sync reliably with my Mac. I am very obsessive about my PIM data, and NEED to be able to have my task items organized and my contacts straight. I recently tried to go backt o OSX native apps (Mail/Addressbook/iCal), but had to go backt o Entourage after I just couldn't get it to sync right. I was using a 3rd party task manager called EasyTask, and it just wouldn't sync with my Treo. I will do a little more reading before I make a final decision. Thanks for your input.

sundevil67

3. Jpike005

Jpike005 New Member

thanks chris for all the info, i got mine synced up on the first try (knock on wood) with missing sync and couldnt be happier with the Q!
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Great to hear! I haven't upgraded to 3.0 yet, but looking forward to it.

-Chris
  5. stingray072

stingray072 New Member

Help with bluetooth syncing

I'm a newbie I guess but I'm alright with computers. I've downloaded the trail verion of Missing Sync cause I want to make sure I can get it to work before I buy it. I couldn't get the bluetooth connection to work. My computer recognizes the Q and it recognizes the computer and I can create the link but I get the dreaded two dots on Missing Sync and thats all. I tried copying the .CAB file and I got it onto the Q and installed it but it didn't help. I've tried restarting both devices numerous times and I even tried "kick-starting" bluetooth as recommended. I also can't get te USB to work. I tried disabling the special usb thing in the Q menu but that didn't help either. I just get the one dot on Missing Sync. Any advice would eb greatly appreciated. Thanks
  6. Bill Alexander

Bill Alexander New Member

TMS connection probs

Are you turning the phone off in the wireless menu before attempting to connect. If not, that is almost certainly your problem. Hold down the home key for several seconds to access the Wireless manager. Turn the phone off but leave Bluetooth enabled. Then try to connect. Occassionally if you attempt to connect and fail, a restart on both the Mac and the Q are necessary, so you can also try that in combination with turning the phone off in the Wireless Manager.

If you don't see Wireless Manager as an option after holding the home key for several seconds, the firmware on your Q is old, and needs to be udpated. You can't do this using Mac OS X, you have to do it using a Windows OS, either on a Win PC or booting via Boot Camp.

Good Luck.

Bill Alexander

7. stingray072

stingray072 New Member

Got the Synch to work

Ok guys- heres how I got rid of that dreaded two dot and one dot synching problem. After searching the net for hours I finally found some obscure post on the markspace website that tells you what to do for my problem at least. I lookwed at the log while it was trying to synch and noticed that the access to a certain port was always denied. It was like 5679 or something like that. I went to preferences, sharing, and then firewall. Add new, under port name; other and under tcp and udp port put whatever the blocked port was. Then everything should work honkey dory (except that after the first sync it deleted on the contacts on my q, but thats a different problem). Hope this helps
  8. gabrielle

gabrielle New Member

9. mkdc5

mkdc5 New Member

does anyone have the working link for the Resco Registry module?
  10. dayla

dayla New Member

I'm new here, and I searched the forums and read the rest of this thread and didn't see my question answered, so here goes! :)

So I have an Intel iMac with Bluetooth capability (but no hardware, just the software). My boyfriend had a dongle lying around, and I borrowed it and it's been working great to get things to my Q via Bluetooth.

Problem is, whenever I try sending multiple contacts from the Address Book or multiple appointments from iCal, it won't work. When I try to "export all" from the Address Book and send that file over to the Q, I get a message that says that the file type is not recognized. I figured out I can do them one by one, but that takes forever!

Same thing as iCal (which I did see listed as a method on the front page). Here's my question: is it even possible to transfer multiple appointments at a time from iCal to my Q? If I try, when I open the file in my Q it only asks me if I want to accept the last appointment. It's like the others don't exist. Is this a problem with iCal, or the way I'm transferring the exported file?

I should probably just bite the bullet and get Missing Sync...it sounds like it's a better way of keeping updated, but if I can do it for free I'd prefer it!

Thanks in advance, all!

(By the way, this site is GREAT. I just got my Q a week or so ago and I've found out so much I can do with it, thanks to Everything Q! :)
  11. Zral

Zral New Member

does your firewall options, look greyed out now? also lock you out of your mac's firewall? does it now ask you to deactivate another programs firewall?
  12. Linda - CA

Linda - CA New Member

Entourage or using what comes with the Mac?

I've only gotten to 3 dots during the sync process and then nothing. What am I doing wrong? I have the Sprint Moto Q, and a Macbook with the Intel duo core processor.

Thanks,
    Linda

13. mrdrago

mrdrago New Member

I am new to this forum, but upon seeing the title of this post I thought I would give my two cents. I have the Q with Windows 5.0. I was able to synch with the Missing synch software and my mac. Initially I used the software version 3.0, and now I updgrade to their latest Missing Synch 4.0 software. One important point to mention is that in order for the software to recognize your Q phone you must disable bluetooth. Furthermore, within the Missing Software you must disable the bluetooth connection as well, and only enable connection via USB. If after doing this you still get two bars but no connection, try turning off then back on your Q. Provided you are content with using a USB connection to synch, which I am, it works like a charm. I love it. You can synch Ical, contacts, notes, and even itunes files that are unprotected. I am totally mac and totally Q so if you need further advise let me know. I have worked and researched solutions to a number of mac/Q issues for my own personal use.:smile:

Good Luck,

Mr. Drago
  14. engops

engops New Member

Worked like a charm!!!
    Thanks ;)
  15. alem910

alem910 New Member

missingsync

were can i get the missingsync.cab applic? thanks
  16. alem910

alem910 New Member

missingsync

hello there. I'm a quite new on this. How or where can I get the missingsync file to install in my mac.? thanks a lot.

17. mrdrago

mrdrago New Member

You need to purchase the missing synch software from www.markspace.com. Once you install the software on your mac it will walk you through the steps to synch with the Q phone. In that process a cab file is installed on your Q phone. Make note that at one point during the first synch you must accept the cab file on the Q. The software gives you a prompt. Good luck.

Mark:2cool:
  18. MSC71

MSC71 New Member

Is it possible to sync birthdays too ? Just curious. Also, I have a lot of contacts, birthdays etc on my Q. The first time I sync, will it copy all of that data into ical, adress book etc ??
  19. kpxiceboi

kpxiceboi New Member

hey, i have the black Motorola Q, but i was wondering if the new version of the missing sync will work? On their site, i read that they would sink entourage and all that jazz, but only for 2008? Will my entourage 2004 still sync with my phone? does anyone know?
  20. doogald

doogald New Member

According to the site, it syncs with Entourage 2004. To sync 2008, you need to make some changes. See https://support.markspace.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=201 if you ever upgrade.