Syncing your Motorola Q with a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by chris, Jun 17, 2006.

1. tankgirl12

tankgirl12 New Member

2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

3. chris

FYI, Mark/Space has released an update for all Missing Sync owners. The update, version 2.5.1 addresses a number of issues. It's a free download for all owners of Missing Sync.

This update improves USB performance with certain Windows Mobile 5 devices, including the Motorola Q. It also addresses a connection issue affecting some Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphone devices, improves fast syncing of recurring events and the handling of multiple email addresses in Entourage and includes other minor improvements.
  4. davidsol

davidsol New Member

Q Nightmares

My Q stopped charging so I went to verizon and they gave me a new Q on the spot. The 8 hours of work going into all the settings were vaporized (no bookmarks, no contacts, no mail settings, no desktop icons, no 3rd party software)... all of it!

So now I restart from scratch, and... When I pair Q to Mac and select all my card in Address Book (1391 cards) and select transfer all cards to Q, the end result is partial transfer of cards (like 300 out of the total).

I reset the Q to delete all cards (and delete all other settings; lesson learned: get the cards over first, and then deal with mail settings after successful transfer) and try tranfer again (new pairing, etc.) result: some other random incomplete batch of cards transfer over!

Note: I pair the Q from the Mac.

Now with the first Q I owned, it worked great on first try.

Any tips? I assume there's some problem with the transfer "dropping" cards on the way over into the Q's memory.

HELP!

Thanks!

.d
  5. jdudzy

jdudzy New Member

Restarting Q and or Mac

Is there anyway to connect via bluetooth without having to restart the mac or Q every time?
  6. btrubey

btrubey New Member

Seems like the link is broken in fetching the reg-file from you post...? Please advise.

-Download the Resco Registry module here: Dedicated free file hosting upload storage space - 1_Registry_s.ARM.CAB
  7. chris

Check out this thread. I easily enabled BT DUN with this CAB.
  8. mediawiz

mediawiz New Member

i am ready to throw this q out the window...

i finally got thigns working well in the general operations area (vtdropout's post really improved phone functionality)

BUT, I just cannot figure out how to get past the two dots when it comes to bluetooth connection. anyone else have any ideas? or should i just wait until pocketmac comes out with the wm5 software...god...i finally fully integrate my life in mac, and i have to go out and buy the q.

please help me!
  9. davidsol

davidsol New Member

My 3rd Q in 8 weeks

I went to the Verizon store today to get my Q replaced. This is the THIRD q I've had since purchasing my FIRST q eight weeks ago. The SECOND q they gave me lasted 2 weeks before having to be junked. In this case the problem was that Windows would crash, freeze the phone, forcing me to take the battery out to restart. Then Windows would have the Q equivalent of the "blue screen of death".

Let's face it, windows is junk. The Q stinks: it's pretty, but frankly it works badly. At least verizon gives them to me at no cost in store (only because I spend about $400/mo on various Verizon services). At this stage, three devices (each actually cost Verizon far more than the retail price) and countless hours of tech support later, they have to be losing money on me, even at $400/mo.

I really wish blackberry would join with Google and create a perfect smartphone. Windows stinks. I blame everything on Microsoft.
  10. chris

Sounds like you've had a bad stretch with the Q. Sorry to hear about that. Have you considered a Treo 700p? Mac friendly and overall a great smartphone. It will run you more $$.

-Chris
  11. danilomoran1

danilomoran1 New Member

Chris, I just bought the Q and I am a mac user (I hope this is where you post your questions) Anyway here is my dilemma. I have an iBook g4 and I am running the osx 10.34 or something the one that came with the computer (I know that someone has asked this same question before but mine has a few other things thats I have to know about) I want to know how I can get the most out of my Q in my situation. I have been attempting to sync it with the computer in my office which is a PC thinking there is no way I could use it with my mac but a motorola guy told me about this site, so here I am I need help, anything would be appreciated!!!
  12. chris

Hi and thanks for joining EQ. Great to hear folks are spreading the word about the site.:)

With regards to your question, yes you can sync your Motorola Q with your iBook G4. To do so, you'll need Mark/Space's Missing Sync for Windows Mobile. Out of the box, you will be able to communicate via Bluetooth with your Q (if your iBook has Bluetooth). This software from Mark/Space will allow you to ActiveSync your contacts, iCal, etc.

-Chris
  13. danilomoran1

danilomoran1 New Member

Chris Im sold on the mark/Space but one more thing before I go ahead and buy, actually 2 is it going to make a difference now that Ive already plugged into a PC? and will I be able to use my iTunes files on my Q with this?
    Danilo
  14. chris

That shouldn't be an issue. Are all your contacts on your Q? They will move to the Mac using MissingSync. Just be careful not to create dupes.

Other MissingSync products have had "some" integration with iTunes. The Palm OS version mounts the removable media within iTunes allowing you to drag and drop non AAC protected files (music not purchased from iTunes music store). I have an iPod, so this wasn't a deal breaker/maker for me. You will be able to mount the Q, allowing you to drag music to the miniSD. There isn't an iTunes sync solution as of yet. (outside of the iPod.:thumbup:)

-Chris
  15. bhungri

bhungri New Member

Me too! HELP.:gasp:
  16. bhungri

bhungri New Member

:laugh2:
    Cracked the case!!!
    Make sure you put the Missing Sync CAB file in the My Documents folder in the Q. When I moved it there it finally worked.
    Good luck!
  17. chris

Great! Sounds like you're up and running with your Mac (and your Q)!:laugh2:

-Chris
  18. pmartin4665

pmartin4665 New Member

Do new members still get the 20% off coupon for registering? I didn't notice any mention of a discount on purchase in the e-mails I received.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your reply.
  19. chris

That offer has expired. If you sign up for our eNewsletter, we do send out promotions from time to time that are not advertised on the site.
  20. sundevil67

sundevil67 New Member

Sync Issues - OSX/Q

I am considering buying a Q, but I have had so much trouble with synchronization issues, that I am worried. I am hoping you guys can help me answer a couple of questions before I make the switch. I know that I can use the Missing Sync (I won't use PocketMac because of terrible support in the past) to sync my data, but the reason I am still using Entourage and the Treo/Palm is because I haven't found a good way to reliably sync my tasks.

#1 Anyone know of an application or iCal plugin that handles tasks, and can sync correctly with Windows Mobile? iCal just doesn't cut it for task management. This is a huge problem for me.

#2 Does Missing Sync/Windows Mobile sync contacts reliably from OSX Addressbook? Do all of the fields match up? I've had a lot of trouble getting this to work right even with Missing Sync for Palm. It just duplicates email addresses, removes personal data like birthdays and spouse, etc. It just never mapped all of the fields correctly.

I really do want to switch to Windows Mobile, but the last time I tried (I think it was with Windows Mobile v5), it was a disaster.

Thanks.

sundevil67