Syncing your Motorola Q with a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by chris, Jun 17, 2006.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Syncing your Motorola Q with a Mac

For those Mac users, here is a tutorial on how I got the Motorola Q syncing with the Mac using the alpha version of Missing Sync.:thumbup:
  2. Bill Alexander

Bill Alexander New Member

Mot Q and Mac

Hi Chris,

Nice site. While the Mac won't 'sync' with the Q out of the box, I wouldn't say it won't work with a Mac out of the box. There is plenty you can do with a Q and your Mac, read on.

I've been contributing to the Qusers.com website forum. I've been updating this post, and figured I would add it here to help out as many Mac users as possible. I can’t take credit for most of the information below. All I’ve done is scour the web and other Quser.com forum posts, and applied that info to using the Q with a Mac.

Here is the post, part 1 due to forum space limitations.

How to Tether your Q and connect to the net via Bluetooth

***Please understand and take responsibility for the risks inherent in changing the Q registry file and using a backdoor hack to gain access to Verizon's EVDO network. If you don't understand or agree with the previous sentence, skip to the next topic in this post.***

-First, make sure Bluetooth on your Q is activated by going to Start>Bluetooth>Bluetooth manager>Settings
    -In the settings make sure Bluetooth is ON, and click the Allow other Bluetooth devices to see the phone
    -Now link your Q to your Powerbook by going to System Preferences>Bluetooth on your Mac
    -Click on the Devices tab, and then click Set Up New Device
    -Select Mobile Phone and the on screen instructions should walk you through. For now it will only list Address Book as a check item
    -You will also have to input a passcode from your Mac to the Q during this process
    -After linking the Q, go to the Bluetooth menu (main menu bar) and select Browse Device
    -Select the Q and a browse window should open
    -Download the Resco Explorer 2005 .CAB file here: Resco Explorer 2005 for Smartphone: Downloads
    -Download the Resco Registry module here: Dedicated free file hosting upload storage space - 1_Registry_s.ARM.CAB
    -Download the hacked reg file here: http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60368
    -Drag the three files you just downloaded over to the Q (note, unzip the hacked registry file first)
    -On the Q, go to File Manager>My Documents
    -You should see all three files you just transferred there
    -Start by clicking on the Resco Explorer.CAB file. That should install the Explorer app
    -Next click on the Registry_s.ARM.Cab file. That should install the second part. Ignore any warnings that say these apps aren't designed for your OS
    -Next attempt to click on the q-bt-hack.reg file. It may auto add to the registry, probably not.
    -If it didn't auto add, go back to the Q’s home screen, hit start, and find and open the Resco Explorer application
    -Navigate to your My Documents using the Explorer app
    -Now click again on the q-bt-hack.reg file
    -It should now ask if you want to add this to your registry file....say yes
    -Turn the phone off and remove battery for more than 30 secs
    -Restart phone
    -type ##342587 and then hit send
    -change the option menu to 'enabled' and then exit.
    -Head back to System Preferences on your Mac, and go to Bluetooth again
    -Click on your Q device in the list and hit Configure
    -A new option to 'connect to internet' should now be available to check
    -Hit continue and it will ask for the settings
    -username is your cell phone number xxxxxxxxxx@vzw3g.com
    -Password is vzw
    -number to dial is #777
    -I use the Verizon 1x EVDO modem script (PM me for script if you want it)
    -Others use the stock OS X Verizon Support PC 5200 script with success
    -leave the 'show modem in menu' box checked.
    -That should do it.
    -Go to the modem icon in the menu bar and select connect.
    -You should now be connected to the net.

If I’ve lost you, or you want to see more info, see the original posts here:
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Q + MacOSX + BT Tethering and here:
    Qusers.com - Topic :: Mac/PC Bluetooth DUN on the Q

Using alpha version of The Missing Sync
    *Note, to use this software, you must have a registration number for version 2 of this software. You can pay the $40 now, and get the 2.5 upgrade when it arrives for free. ***Also note, Jason mentions that users who are connecting with a Bluetooth USB dongle are UNABLE to connect to The Missing Sync. In it's current version, TMS will only work with Bluetooth built in.*** Update, adidadi says that he can connect using TMS with an external USB Bluetooth adapter, but only after repeating most of the steps listed here each time.**

Here is how I got it to work, your mileage may vary
    ***First, BACKUP your data using the Address Book and iCal File>Backup database functions prior to using TMS***
    -Download the alpha version of the software here: The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile - 2.5 Beta
    -Install the alpha The Missing Sync software on your Mac
    -Control click on The Missing Sync app and go to Show Package Contents>Contents>Resources>MissingSync.CAB
    -Copy the MissingSync.CAB file to your Q via Bluetooth
    -Go to My Documents on your Q and select the MissingSync.CAB file
    -MissingSync.CAB should auto install
    -Delete the MissingSync.CAB file from your Q
    -Restart your Mac
    -Restart your Q
    -On your Q go to Start>Active Sync
    -Select Menu>Connect via Bluetooth
    -You should now see a semi transparent graphic with a series of dots on your Mac
    -A successful connection will result in all 5 dots appearing
    -If successful, the Q will connect to The Missing Sync and your Mac, note, this could take 30-60 seconds after the 5 dot graphic disappears
    -Select the items you want to sync in The Missing Sync app window
    -Hit the Sync button on the bottom
    -After a successful sync, hit the red ‘Disconnect’ button to remove your Q
    -Quit The Missing Sync app
    -Note, you may have to restart your Mac and/or your Q to perform additional sync’s.

Adding Bluetooth to non Bluetooth Mac's
    If your Mac did not come with Bluetooth, don't despair. All Mac's running OS 10.3+ just need a USB/Bluetooth adapter/dongle to gain Bluetooth functionality. It's built into the OS, and is as easy as plugging in the Bluetooth adapter and then finding the Bluetooth System Preference that will then appear in your System Preferences. **Note, there appears to be a confilict with The Missing Sync alpha and using an external Bluetooth USB adapter.**

see part 2 next post....
  3. Bill Alexander

Mot Q and Mac

Part 2....

Installing .exe files
    Bruck notes that you can put .exe files into the Windows/Program Files folder on your Q and they will show up as an installed app.

Remove beep sound for unread mail
    Tired of hearing that soft beep every 15 minutes for no apparent reason? Head to Settings>More>More>Unread Message Alert, and turn it off. This was driving me crazy as I assumed any alert would have been listed in the Sounds setting. Thanks to Viper in a different thread.

Contacts can only be selected one at a time
    Omoanya notes that you can only select and delete contacts on the Q one at a time. This also applies to contacts you try to send from the Q to your Mac via Bluetooth. Just one at a time.

Install .CAB Files
    epicurs mentions that you can install 3rd party apps on the Q by transfering the .cab file to the your Q via Bluetooth, and then finding and clicking on the .cab file after it's transfered.

iCal viewing via web browser
    Omoanya mentions that you CAN view any iCal's you've posted to the web. He says you have to disable images on the Q for it to work.

.Mac email
    .Mac email works with both the Outlook application periodic checking, and also works with Verizon's Wirless Sync. They are both fairly easy to set up, and will auto fill in most of the information. When you are on the password screen for your email (on the Q), if you don't want to have to type in your password every time, don't forget to scroll down and check the 'save password' check box.

Missing Sync/PocketMac
    We are waiting for The Missing Sync http://www.missingsync.com/ and/or PocketMac http://www.pocketmac.net/ to release products that will assist us in syncing contacts and calendar. Both sites list their products as ‘coming soon’. Mark Space offers an alpha version of The Missing Sync which you can use if you are already a registered user of the previous version. Detailed instructions are near the top of this post.

Send your Address Book Contacts to Q via Bluetooth
    Address Book currently supports sending all contacts via Bluetooth. First link your Q to your bluetooth enabled mac (do this in Sys Preferences). After the phone is linked, open Address Book and select all of your contacts. Go to the Card Menu in Address Book and select 'Send these Cards'. After a short wait, all of your contacts will appear on your Q. Keep in mind that this is not ‘synching’ your contacts. This is a send once operation. Once you have all of your contacts on the Q, you have to manually keep track of any contacts you add or edit to either the Q or your Mac. You can select and send individual contacts to and from the Q. If you send a contact from the Q to your Mac, it will appear as a vCard in your Documents folder. You can then add that file to Address Book.

Omoanya brings up a good point about remembering to add notes to your vcard transfers by going to Address Book>Preferences>Vcard and selecting the 'add notes' checkbox. This will add your Address Book notes to your contacts in the Q. If you did not have this checked originally, the only easy way to start over would be to reset and erase your Q.

Sending single iCal events to Q via Bluetooth
    You can send individual iCal events to the Q by dragging them from iCal to your desktop, and then sending the .ics file to your Q. Once on the Q, find the .ics file you copied in your ‘Documents’ folder and click on the .ics file. This item will then by copied to your Q calander. Yes, this is a ton of work to add individual events, and not very practical. I add it here just to let people know it works. Thanks to Quasar for initially suggesting it.

File transfer to Q via Bluetooth
    I haven’t had any trouble sending any file to the Q over Bluetooth using the standard Apple ‘Send File’ and Browse Bluetooth apps, available from the Bluetooth menu icon. When using the Browse app, you can drag and drop files. The only issue I’ve found so far with file transfer is, there does not appear to be a way to send files directly to a Mini SD card inside your Q. The only work around I’ve found so far is to use a card reader to directly access the Mini SD card. Once items are on your Q (ie. main Q memory), it is easy to transfer internal files to the Mini SD card.

MP3’s can be transferred, and used as ringtones.
    Once you have a mp3 file saved to your Q, you can select that file to use as your ring tone.

Salling Clicker does not work.
    Epicurus mentioned that he has tested Salling Clicker and it would not connect for him. Epicurus provided this update on 6/12/06 - Salling Software stated that the Motorola Q uses a Broadcom Bluetooth stack. He said "that's a first" with regards to Motorola. While he thinks he can get the software to work, he has no current timeframe on working on it. The Symbian OS is his current priority and could be two months, six months, maybe a year till he can work on it.

Exchange server
    JPLevine, Epicurus, and Magicvash seem to have the most info in regards to contact/cal synching using MS Entourage and an Exchange server. As Epicurus notes below......With regards to syncing Address Book and iCal to Entourage, the latest patch for Office (11.2.3) uses Mac OS X's Sync Services to keep all the info the same between all the apps, so no other utilities are required. As long as Entourage has the info (which it looks to the Operating system) then it will sync to an Exchange server just fine. Again, I just use Entourage as my sync conduit to the Exchange as I prefer iCal and Address book, but there is no reason why you couldn't just use Entourage by itself. Lastly, Address Book will sync directly to an Exchange server, the option is in its preferences.

Several hosted Exchange services have been mentioned…..
    http://www.4smartphone.net/Default.aspx
    http://www.mailstreet.com/

Some have also mentioned Goodlink as a solution to Exchange server issues.
    http://www.mailstreet.com/wireless/goodlink.asp

Note that hosted exchange servers and Goodlink are for pay services, with total costs somewhere in the $30 per month range.

I'm happy I'm not the only Mac/Q user. Looking forward to everyone else's hints/tips.
  4. chris

Bill-
    Welcome to Everything Q! Thank you for the post and I welcome your contributions! Always nice to add a Mac user to the site!Wink

With your ok, I'd like to add some of this to our knowledgebase.

-Chris
  5. Bill Alexander

Knowledge Base

Sure Chris, use the info wherever it will help Mac users. ;)
  6. clos101

clos101 New Member

I still need help

I've done everything needed to sync my mac and my q. It goes to 2 dots and just disappears.

Can anyone help ??

I've got the tethering down. Typing this post with the q's connection.

help !
  7. chris

So, it's initiating the sync process on your Mac after going to ActiveSync > Connect via Bluetooth?

-Chris
  8. flynn23

flynn23 New Member

Missing Sync discount?

Was I smoking crack one night or did I read that Missing Sync was being offered at a discount through the store on this site? I'd like to purchase it to start playing around with the alpha version. Just got my Q this week and am in terrible need of syncing contacts/calendars off my BB 8700 to the Q. Any advice is appreciated.
  9. chris

By registering at Everything Q, you receive a coupon code in your welcome email good for 20% off any title in our Q Software Store. *** At present time, Missing Sync is...well missing from our store. I'll contact them today and see if they would consider adding it to the store.

*** Offer is no longer valid.

-Chris
  10. chris

I exchanged emails with my contact at Mark/Space and they are working with MobiHand (company that powers the Q Software Store) on adding Missing Sync to our software catalog. However, there is no firm date on when this will happen. They are interested in getting their software in both Everything Q and Everything Treo Software Stores -- hopefully this will get done soon. If and when I get more info, I'll pass it along.

BTW, where did you hear about the coupon? And don't tell me it was the crack.:laugh:

Thanks!
    Chris
  11. dave2400

dave2400 New Member

question

Has anyone been able to connect to a MacBookPro. I tried Missing Sync without success.:thumbdown

Dave
  12. dave2400

dave2400 New Member

Intel Mac

Is MissingSync compatible with Intel Mac.
  13. chris

It looks like the Palm OS version runs natively on Intel Macs. That being said, don't the Intel macs run PowerPC based software due to Rosetta?Huh?

-Chris
  14. hiphopreneur

hiphopreneur New Member

they don't. Rosetta is an emulation software which allows intel macs to run mac software from the previous macs. software that is designed for the intel mac is called universal mac software and runs much faster than the software that has to use rosetta.
  15. hiphopreneur

hiphopreneur New Member

Sync problems

I get the same thing, 2 dots and the sync prompt disappears! :wacko:
  16. samsheash

samsheash New Member

Bill,
    Thank you for your clear and easy to use directions. I had everything up and running within minutes. I did however wonder what the fifference between the 2 modem scripts you mentioned were ( I had the Verizon 5200 script available so I just used that ). Would this be a difference in speed or connection quality in any way? Thanks Again. Sam.
  17. hiphopreneur

hiphopreneur New Member

do u know when they will finally release the complete version of missing sync? they have been testing since feb!
  18. pyhwang

pyhwang New Member

Tethered Modem Inquiry

So I succesfully tethered my modem to my powerbook. Thank you for the easy directions. However I wanted to know that does tethering your phone to your computer count as data usage. (I only have a max limit of 10mb on my phone and I am concerned that I am killing my data usage.) And secondly, does being connected to the internet use minutes on your phone plan? Please email me asap. I am so excited for this awesome feature!

Pete
  19. jasonw

jasonw New Member

Mac & Q - This process isn't working...

When I initiate ActiveSync, the two connect, because once Q connects to my mac, my mac asks me to designate a passcode. I do. After they pair, my Q asks me for the passcode. I input it and it works and then "Bluetooth ActiveSync Connecting....." message comes up on my Q.

It never gets to the point where it connects to Missing Link and asks for the .cab file.

So manually sent the file to my Q and it installed it ok from my mac.

That is where I am stuck. My Missing Link software is not connecting to my Q. The Mac and the Q are speaking to each other, because I can send files, pair them, ect.

Has any else had this problem?
  20. jasonw

jasonw New Member

Can't get process to work...

When I initiate ActiveSync, the two connect, because once Q connects to my mac, my mac asks me to designate a passcode. I do. After they pair, my Q asks me for the passcode. I input it and it works and then "Bluetooth ActiveSync Connecting....." message comes up on my Q.

It never gets to the point where it connects to Missing Link and asks for the .cab file.

So manually sent the file to my Q and it installed it ok from my mac.

That is where I am stuck. My Missing Link software is not connecting to my Q. The Mac and the Q are speaking to each other, because I can send files, pair them, ect.

Has any else had this problem?