Sync with Mac & Windows on one Q?

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by mss, Nov 21, 2006.

1. mss

mss New Member

Sync with Mac & Windows on one Q?

I want to sync my Mac (with my personal contacts & calendar) and my Windows laptop (with my business items) onto the Q. is this possible to have these 2 co-mingle on there? If so, what is the best way to go about doing this so one doesn't cancel out the other.
  2. mlpinsky

mlpinsky New Member

Replies?

I'd like to do that too. Particularly to get my Palm calendar items from 2005 off the pc and onto my mac and q. Did you get any replies?
  3. Budda

Budda New Member

Best Practices

Here are some best practices when syncing a Windows Mobile device with BOTH a Mac and a PC:

The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile supports syncing a device with both a Mac and a PC. When planning on syncing your Windows Mobile device with both a PC and a Mac, follow these Best Practices for best results:

1. On the PC, plan to sync with Outlook. Syncing with Intellisync on a PC and then syncing with a Mac running Missing Sync for Windows Mobile is not supported.

2. Do the First Sync with your PC!
    If you have the option of which computer to sync with first, choose the PC.

When you sync with a PC, ActiveSync will name your device according to its own naming protocol: 'WM_[your PC username]. If you have already assigned a device name to your device the PC will overwrite that name. If you then synced with your Mac, The Missing Sync could be confused because it sees a new device name and would sync with that device as if for the first time. Establishing the device name based on the PC protocol and then syncing to the Mac is the best way to proceed.

Just be sure to NOT change the device name after syncing with either the PC or the Mac.

If you have already synced with your Mac and now want to sync with your PC, this can be done. After syncing with your Mac and then syncing with your PC, the device name will be changed. When you sync back to the Mac, the device will be seen as new and The Missing Sync may not understand the incoming data from the PC. You may experience duplication in data if, for example, the data in Outlook is sorted in any way other than Last Name, First Name. Sync Services expects to see the data in Last Name, First Name format. If it is not, it will see that data as new data and sync it to the Mac in addition to the exisitng data.

If you experience this problem, clean up your data on your Mac. Perform a sync operation with the settings set to Mac overwrite handheld. Then sync with your PC with settings set to handheld overwrite PC. Then, do another sync with the device on the PC. Then, sync back to the PC and your data should all be properly coordinated.

2) If syncing only selected calendars, sync twice with the Mac to have the selected calendar events sync properly.

3) Matching Sync Date Range
    The Missing Sync Calendar and Task plugins have options to ignore events/tasks past a chosen time period. ActiveSync on Windows also allows you to set the Calendar settings to sync events no older than a chosen time period. For best results set both ActiveSync and Missing Sync to the same time period. The Missing Sync defaults to 6 months. Some versions of ActiveSync default to 2 weeks, and other versions default to 6 months. Make sure the settings are the same.

4) Matching Time Zones & Date
    Make sure that the Mac, PC and device all are set to the same time zone and date.

I hope that this helps.
  4. mlpinsky

mlpinsky New Member

Mac synch

Thank you so much for such a thorough reply. I've got to get my nerve up to try it soon. Thanks again.
  5. Budda

Budda New Member

Let me know how it turns out.