Sygic Navigation Software

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Lucky13MN, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

jhoff: I installed the Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 file. Nothing changed on my Moto Q9C. I reset it (removed battery), started it again. Nothing. Started McGuider. Went to settings. Then right soft key to gpshardware. Clicked on that. I set com port to 4. Baud rate to 38400 and got a flashing "Opening failed: checkout your settings." Arrowed over to "Turn GPS module on" and got the same message.

Can't get it to work on mine.

Norfolk Q
  2. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I was able to get it working with the Modaco GPS Activator COM4 program (you have to reboot after installation), although I did run GPSTest first to see if my Q could access the GPS through COM4. It was able to after several seconds. Then I started McGuider and it found me on the map. I walked around a bit and it tracked my location and speed. I will try it in the car this afternoon when I head out to various appointments.
  3. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

Sounds like I did what you did except the GPSTest. i don't have such a program on my Q
  4. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

5. SimonQ

SimonQ New Member

Well I guess that's my problem since I just transferred everything over onto the card and didn't put anything into folders.
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

Well, it should have already been in folders in the archive?
  7. SimonQ

SimonQ New Member

Yeah that's what I thought too but it's not! Guess I'll have to try and download again...:frown:
  8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Not sure if it mattered but I renamed my Sprite 2577..2577-Sprite. That way Sygic had its own folder named 2577.

Mine tried to auto run but Sprite kicked on at the same time when I inserted SD card. So Sprite killed it. I then just clicked on the setupwinmobile exe and it found autorun in the 2577 folder!
  9. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

A few thoughts after a test run this afternoon:

GPSTest/Modaco GPS Avtivator - On my way out, I started GPSTest first to get the GPS running, then I started McGuider, and it found the GPS pretty quickly. On the way back to the office, I didn't use GPSTest first, and McGuider still found the internal GPS pretty fast. I don't think you need to kickstart the GPS with GPSTest for it to work with McGuider. You just need to use the Modaco GPS Activator to map the internal GPS to COM4 (don't forget to restart after installing this). In McGuider, the GPS settings I have are COM4 and 38400 baud (as previously posted by another member).

Yards/Miles - I have McGuider set to calculate distances in miles, but when the distance is less than 1 mile, it calculates in yards, which isn't necessarily intuitive (turn left in 1/2 mile would be better for me than turn left in 880 yards).

Inputting addresses - First, McGuider asks you to select a state, then a city, then a street name, then a street number. Perhaps there's an easier way - I would prefer to just enter in the entire address at once like you do in WLS.

POI's - A very nice feature - you can search by category or just type in the name of the POI you're looking for and set McGuider to navigate to that POI.

Routing/Re-routing - If you miss a turn, McGuider will re-route for you automatically, though when you're taking an alternate route, McGuider will sometimes keep telling you to try to make a u-turn before it decides that it can re-route in the direction you're already headed. And in terms of driving in the city, McGuider refers to streets by number instead of name (e.g., GA-42 instead of Briarcliff Road).

Viewscreen - the screen will rotate so that you will always be moving forward on the map (unlike WLS and Google Maps). There's an indicator to tell you the direction of your next turn and how far away it is, as well as your speed, and above the directional arrow is the name of street you'll be turning on.

Options - There are a ton of options in this program - I've barely scratched the surface. I need to read the manual and see what stuff does.

Overall, the program is pretty nice. The only other GPS programs I've used on my Q9c have been WLS and Google Maps, so it's obviously a step up in many respects. I'm going out of town this weekend, so I'll get the chance to try it more.
  10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

nice review!
  11. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Thanks. I'll have more to report after a more substantial test run this weekend.
  12. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

cool
    looking forward to it

i finally got my file downloaded last night...maybe ill be able to get it up and running this weekend!
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I agree with everything..pretty sweet! And almost too many options! :smile:

I for life of me couldn't get the app to recognize numerics though. I played with the ABC Alt and ALT and couldn't type a number! I also tried switching from Qwerty, Azerty etc..to no avail. I just used QCaps to move on!

I also noticed the no alarm for the speed limit you set. And also noticed the application is afraid of highways! I did triple check the settings and they are right. Once you got on the highway it decided maybe you know whats best after all!! Ah well..

I'm not very experienced on an app like this as all I've ever used is Google, Windows Live and gpsVP. I do know this app kicked ass over those three though! I wanted to fill out a novel for the developer but it took me three days to get it on my phone and was looking to have the report by today? I sent a mini novel though and will also be able to test heavier this weekend!!
  14. SimonQ

SimonQ New Member

Oh man I finally got it, thanks for all the help. So far it looks really nice, cant wait till I leave work to actually try it!
  15. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

One thing thats nice though about not entering everything all at once is that you generally only need to type a few letters of each part of it, though it would be nice if it defaulted to enter a number for the street number. (Although it did work for me to press the function key before number entry). I'll think you'll find this par for the course though, Garmin, Tomtom, etc all have it set up like this with the idea that it'll be less keystrokes (or touchscreen entry on the standalone units), and honestly I agree.

As for the miles/ yards thing, every GPS software I've used has done that and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I guess they thought that yards are easier for people to estimate, but at least as long as you're not in a pedestrian/ bicycle type mode, it makes no sense, since you're looking at the odometer in the car anyway.

One thing that I miss from Garmin Mobile though is its Trip Computer tool, not that it's that useful but I think its pretty neat to see the amount of time spent driving vs stopped, and average speed throughout the trip, average speed when not taking into account stops, etc. Not really that important but I always just found that interesting. After using it a little more I'd say its on par with Garmin Mobile (used on PalmOS and standalone, and a little better than TomTom (used on Palm OS and standalone). Garmin uses Navteq maps which I've heard are slightly better but honestly I've seen things pretty much exactly the same with the two. (IE neither has my parent's house in the correct place on their street, etc.)

Again though, I have to ask, does the traffic info just work automatically for people? Its grayed out whenever I try and use it.

As nice as it is though, I think I'll probably end up sticking with Sprint Navigation, because that's included in my plan and I'd rather have more music filling up the 1GB, but its definitely a great start for Sygic.... although they should maybe consider a different name for the program.
  16. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

Nothing I tried has worked to get McGuider to recognize my internal GPS. And jhoff... the "traffic" is an add on they plan to implement later. Seems like those of you who use it feel the same way i do with it. As for the yards vs miles thing... that's a European thingy. In this country we use miles as a reference. We also give directions as "bear right" rather then "stay right."

Norfolk Q

Uh... nevamind! lololol I don't know why but all of a sudden the durn thing started working! I'm in my movie room and BAM! It found the internal GPS and says I'm moving at zero miles per hour (thank the gods!!) Thank you folks.

Q
  17. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

Battery life with Sygic

OK so I got the internal GPS working at 10:58pm. Battery was charged fully. Only program running was McGuider using the internal GPS (thanks folks!). It's 1:33am and I just got the "battery is VERY low" warning. Tells me that if you don't have a power supply in your car to power your Q while running the McGuider then DON'T take any trips longer then 2.5 hours!!

Oh, it's a Sprint Q9C with the extended battery and no homepage plug-ins.

Norfolk Q
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

So..whats the word after running this for a few more days? I really like it and no big faults to report. I didn't notice any battery drain but my trips were a half or less. And did anyone get any more feedback from the developer? I sent what log files I had and the report form last Friday but not a peep! Do I need to send daily..hourly reports to be a GOLD member? Anyhow...just reporting that I love it and haven't used Windows Live since!!:embarassed:

How about you Scott? Did you ever get it installed?
  19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Bummer...expired today. :frown:
  20. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Hopefully, we'll all be getting the next beta version to continue testing. Didn't this last version come out a day or so after the previous version expired?