Sygic Navigation Software

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Lucky13MN, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

Just playing with it while watching TV and so far I'm really liking it. I went to POIs and the darn thing recognized it's location and gave me the distance from where I am from churches to clubs to 7-11 to bars, etc!

Only worry I have right now is the WRITTEN distances are in YARDS. The better half's TomTom Nav 6 (HTC Touch) gives turn directions in yards (*ick*). When I test this out tomorrow I HOPE it doesn't do the same thing!!

Norfolk Q
  2. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

My pleasure! I hope they select me as a "gold" tester but if not, at least i KNOW I am going to buy this program when it is released! The POIs are absolutely incredibly up to date! There is a church 1/4 mile from me. The old denomination sold it to a new denomination last year (Methodist to holy roller pentacostal) and this program gives the name of BOTH! I like that!

I'm going to charge the battery then see how much battery power it's using later.
  3. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Haven't had the chance to try yet, but I wonder if Sygic would find the Q9c's internal GPS if the GPSID program mentioned here at EQ some time ago were used to map the GPS to a specific port . . .
  4. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

Interesting point! I'll look for that post and include it when I email them later this week. Was FINALLY able to get the PDF file to open. HAD to download Adobe Acrobat (arrrrrgh!!) but at least I see what they want and can respond because this trial runs out on April 15.

Norfolk Q
  5. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Thanks for the tour Norfolk! This forced me to buy a bigger card that I've been wanting too. I'll start the tedious download in a bit!
  6. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

Tree, I'm still playing with it and can't wait to take it out on the road! One of the issues with it (so far) is that it's not easy to turn off! Getting back to the homescreen is trial and error at best. I've even had to turn it off but when I did, because it was the last program up, it starts on Q9C start up!

Norfolk Q
  7. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

First Impression of Sygic

OK... so like a kid in a candy store I couldn't wait until tomorrow to play with this program!

Took a drive around. My first impressions:

I don't know if I like it more then Sprint Navigator because it's new (probably!) but I'd rather concentrate on my ISSUES with it:

It's after 7pm and it started up in NIGHT MODE. That's not a problem but night mode is VERY dark (black background with blue for streets)...

I told it to take navigate me to a local shopping center about 8.5 miles from here and take the fastest route. It didn't. I took the MOST DIRECT ROUTE which is definitely not the fastest.

Out of the driveway I was happy because remember from a previous post, my driveway is on one street my address is on another and it took me the shortest route to the main street. I was unhappy because it wanted me to take a particular road. When I didn't take that route it took 22 seconds to re-route me and the re-route was "make a u turn in xx number of yards." For almost a mile it tried to get me to go back the way it originally recommended. It finally gave me directions in the way I wanted to go but imagine you are in a new city. There are other options then U turns!

I set the speed alarm to 40 mph with zero overage. The alarm never went off although I was driving 56 mph (got on an interstate). It had a significant number of POIs (which show on the screen) and all of them were accurate (yeah I know... TelNAV data but nice nonetheless!)

Got an incoming call (from the better half in the passenger seat) and the phone didn't ring until the 3rd ring.

Overall first impression is very mixed. One the one hand it's a new toy and that is ALWAYS a good thing! On the other hand re-routing was for the birds. Speed alarm didn't work but then I might have just screwed up how to set it correctly. It did NOT say street names ("Turn right in 60 yards on to US 460) but the display did show .034 miles onto Grandby Street).

There was plenty of advanced notice to turn IF you stayed on track. It was/is very slow at re-routing with the primary option in re-routing being fastest route.

Norfolk Q
  8. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i cant even download the files anymore!
    i get a 403 Forbiden error:angry:
  9. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

Let me know tomorrow how I can help. JHoff said he got the same thing. I cannot be the only one on here who got the file!

Tomorrow because I am being summoned (it's 10pm and I have to be up at 3 to do the pooches and at work at 5am... dang... just when i get a new toy reality steps in!!)

Norfolk Q
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ditto here...started the download at work and it failed around 4%. Tried from home and got the 403 forbidden error too. Guess I'll try again from work tomorrow after I send some tearful email....
  11. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Getting the same forbidden error as well. Guess I'll try again tomorrow (today) . . . .
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Anyone else get a 100% download yet? Not I...gotten to 48! Its a real finicky server as I can download from work but not home unless I VPN in! Gonna hammer it all nite til I get it as I spent all last night and today upgrading to a bigger card so I could try it out!
  13. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

I'm just getting in but here's a quick update on McGuider:

It did not detect the built in GPS of the Sprint Motorola Q9C but it did detect my bluetooth Earthmate BT-20 but only AFTER I killed McGuider and paired the Earthmate then reinitialized McGuider.

Surprisingly it works VERY well! The only time it did not restart was when I took my Motorola Q9C out of range of the GPS (went into a store). Had to go into the McGuider software and tell it to automatically find the GPS, which it did with no problem.

I was pleasantly surprised to find several functions in the unit today. I was disappointed that it continued to only recommend NON freeway/highway directions. It often created a navigation on the road alongside the freeway. I could not get any screen shots (I don't have the software).

A quick start guide would be helpful. On my Motorola Q9C I have discovered pressing the left softkey gets me into the main menu of the product. That softkey is not labled on the device. In the upper left and right corners of the screens there is a - sign and a + sign respectively. I think they are for zoom functions but on my unit there is no way to access them (smartphone not PPC [touchscreen] device). I have found out that the four-way control works the same way. If I press UP or RIGHT the display zooms out. If I press DOWN or LEFT the display zooms in.

NEW INFORMATION: I TRIED RUNNING SPRINT NAVIGATION WHILE RUNNING MCGUIDER AND THEY BOTH OPERATE AT THE SAME TIME (SPRINT USES THE INTERNAL GPS).

A male US/Brit English voice. I am using the U.S. Jane voice. While she is pleasant to listen to there are idiosyncracies between U.S. directions and distances. Jane (who has a British accent) tells me to "KEEP LEFT" when in the United States we understand that to mean "BEAR LEFT." The difference, while subtle is noticeable.

The systems tells me how many YARDS before a turn. In the U.S. we use MILES. "Turn right in one half mile" may be the same as "In 900 yards turn right" but when I am driving I cannot do that math in my head and find myself looking down at the display to see if my turn is coming up sooner rather then later.

I am having trouble with my ActiveSync but when I get it up and running I'll try MyMoblier to try to get a couple of screen shots.

Norfolk Q
  14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

MyMobiler, Bluetooth GPS and Active sync side note...I have to check the box for advanced UsB functionality for gps to work, unchecked for Mymobiler and it has a mind of its own for activesync! Lol...crazy!

Oh...I'm at 45%! :)
  15. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

A couple of screen shots

I have a couple of screen shots and a small .avi but am clueless as how to upload them. Any help from anyone?

Norfolk Q
  16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Screenshots just hit "manage attachments" when you post!

Bad news..got a 52% download. Guess I'll try again...
  17. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

Let's see how this works... if so... then the next ones.

The startup screen is what comes up when you initialize the program. Load time can be more then 2 minutes!

After the program starts you get the first screen.

Attached Files:

18. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

2nd screen shots

2nd set of shots. Will I be able to upload an avi?

Attached Files:

19. Norfolk Q

Norfolk Q New Member

Next Screen shots

I can take more if you have specific functions you want to see.

Norfolk Q

Attached Files:

20. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

I finally was able to download it. Haven't really used it yet, but I am a little disappointed that it can't use the internal GPS reciever.