Surfing web using Q as USB modem on US Cellular 1x EVDO

Discussion in 'Windows PC and Moto Q' started by iamjames, Nov 20, 2007.

1. iamjames

iamjames New Member

Surfing web using Q as USB modem on US Cellular 1x EVDO

The US Cellular motorola Q comes with Modem Link, and I was told I could use my phone as a modem.

Finally gave it a try. They lied; they don't support using the phone that way, but it does work. Think they don't support it because they don't want to field a million stupid questions from users asking "how do i get this working?" only to find out their computer wasn't plugged in. I did tech support for SBC dsl and we "didn't support" routers for that reason, so we wouldn't have to troubleshoot every kind of router on the planet.

But like I said, it works. Very slowly. 115kbps. So no youtube or downloads, but email and myspace were tolerable.

Just run Modem Link, activate it, connect USB to PC, then choose a dial-up connection making the Q the modem. No login or password needed, just dial #777. Oh, and you'll need the driver for windows found here: http://mobilitytoday.com/news/motorola_Q_dialup.html
  2. smiller2076

smiller2076 New Member

Hmmm...Is that 3rd party software installed by US Cellular? I haven't heard of that being standard with other carriers Q.