Stupid programs I want to delete.

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by JetMech, Aug 24, 2007.

1. JetMech

JetMech New Member

Stupid programs I want to delete.

I have no use for Office Sync, Palmspring Pocket Express, Pocket MSN, Help and Quickstart or Sharpcast Photos. HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE BUGGERS?? I clicked remove office sync, and now it says "Get Office Sync" on my home screen, my internet favs, and in my start menu.

And one more quick question while I'm here...I have candlelight, but all it does is dim my screen. I thought this program also allowed using the flash as a flashlight?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

delete the shortcuts... most of those programs are in the ROM and can not be deleted and/or uninstalled.

oh, and when it comes to your home screen, you'll have to edit the .xml in order to remove it there.
  3. JetMech

JetMech New Member

So how do I go about deleting shortcuts or editing XML? I just learned how to use a registry editor...but I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy so any help is much appreciated :)
  4. JetMech

JetMech New Member

Also, when I connect it to ActiveSync and click Explore I can see an officesync cabinet file, and under Program Files there is the Pocket Express folder. I'm afraid to just delete them because I don't want error messages popping up all the time. Can I just back them up to my PC, delete them, and if anything goes wrong just plop them back where they came from and expect everything to be normal again?
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i moved links/files i was doubtful about to a separate folder until i was sure they would not give me issues.
    edit .xml, copy the file you need to edit to the pc and edit it with any plain jane ascii editor, copy it back to the Q (Application Data\Home\) apply another screen all the way, and then re-apply the one you edited.
    delete shortcuts from the start menu, browse to \Windows\Start Menu and there they are, be careful.. moving is always better @ first then deleting.
  6. JetMech

JetMech New Member

Well it looks like I'm SOL on deleting the .ink files or even moving them, but I can delete the cab files w/o problem to free up space.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you mean it doesn't work ? i did and used Resco which is so much cooler (and not to mention faster) then the build-in File Manager..
  8. RFI4U

RFI4U New Member

Candlelight is just a screen dimmer to conserve battery life. The name of the program that allows you to use the camera LED Flash as a flashlight is called Pocket Light and can be found at http://www.artamata.com/pocketlight/
  9. JetMech

JetMech New Member

I can't delete/move the shortcuts...access is denied. It's all good now I'm using XP mobile home screen, I'm just tired of officesync showing up in my favs and start menu, along with the others i mentioned.
  10. Ms.Rip

Ms.Rip New Member

JetMech, were you able to delete some of those unwanted programs? If so can you write down how you did it?
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

assuming you are talking about applications/programs that came with the Q, they can not be deleted as they are located in ROM (Read Only Memory).. what you can do -even though sometimes it carries a risk) is get rid of the shortcuts, or move them as i did to a "Unused" folder.
  12. Ms.Rip

Ms.Rip New Member

And how do I get rid of the shortcuts?
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

start the File Manager, go to \Windows\Start Menu and you'll find the shortcuts.

again, be careful.. for example if you delete the shortcut for Voice Recognition the designated key on the keyboard will give an error, there for i prefer you create a folder called "Unused" (or whatever) and move the shortcuts in there. (a folder in the Start Menu can also be created w/ the File Manager)
  14. Ms.Rip

Ms.Rip New Member

Ok, thanks! Got it!!
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yes, you can say screw :}
  16. Ms.Rip

Ms.Rip New Member

hahah...Ok, cool! :2cool::laugh2:
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

we are not that strict.. at least i don't believe we are :}
  18. Ms.Rip

Ms.Rip New Member

Good! I think this is my new favorite forum!!
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

whahaha... cool, we like to hear that.
  20. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Access is denied because you need to use a file manager (like Resco because it IS so much cooler) and uncheck the Read-Only, System, and Archive attributes. Then you can delete them.

Also, many of those files are hidden as well. You'll want to go into Resco's options and uncheck the hide hidden files.