Streaming Video looks terrible!

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by memphis1031, Dec 11, 2010.

1. memphis1031

memphis1031 New Member

I love this phone, it's my first experience with a smartphone, but streaming videos on any site (youtube, netflix) look super grainy and almost unwatchable considering how good everything else looks on this phone. Anyone know how to fix this? Please help me!!!!!
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Try watching videos in wifi. I think quality is limited under 3G. Just tried a YouTube video under both conditions and wifi is definitely better.
  3. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I had this same opinion, then I discovered that ot depended on the streaming source.
    The MSN movie app steams trailers in pretty acceptable quality but it was the app named Podcasts that opened my eyes. The quality for the video podcasts are superb! Especially for streams such as Cnet Hd...and this is over 3G!
    The TWiT podcast app also streams video of excellent quality.
    ninjaap likes this.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Good to know! Thanks!
  5. memphis1031

memphis1031 New Member

Thanks, will the podcast app allow me to watch youtube and netflix through it?
  6. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

No...it will not stream Youtube and Netflix.
  7. ShrinkDude

ShrinkDude New Member

Before dumping my Droid (Verizon), I simultaneously tested the Focus (AT&T) and the HTC7 (T-Mobile). Thus, I could compare three phones on three different carriers. The quality of YouTube videos on both Windows 7 phones SUCKED; the Droid was very clear. I don't often stream video on my phone, so for other reasons I ditched my Droid and stuck with the Focus.
  8. bnk999

bnk999 New Member

I've noticed on Netflix that the quality sucks at first, then gets better after a minute or two. It seems like they turn down the quality until it buffers.
  9. Fleon

Fleon New Member

Bnk999 is right- Netflix improves drastically for me after a minute once it realizes the network can handle it. Even on 3G I get a great picture.

Try RealTube for streaming Youtube. Seems to be in higher quality than the default app.