Startup vibration

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer New Member

Startup vibration

Hey everyone. First off, I think you guys are awesome and thank you in advance for the help. I've been lurking this forum for a few days and finely decided to register because I have a problem.

Whenever I start up my Q the Verizon screen pops up and then in vibrates for a few seconds. I was wondering how I could turn this off. I know that some people have had problems with turning off the sound but mine vibrates.

I already did the disable Startup sound hack but it still vibrates.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

if your in the vibrate profile it will vibrate on start up
  3. mightymike

mightymike New Member

nah, i dont think the vibrate prof. hasnething to do with it. mine does it too... it makes a small vibrate upon startup. althoug n my case it doesnt bther me

its that big of a deal? itmust vibrate for long.

-written from my htc
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

what Q do you have?
    neither of my Q's vibrate when it starts up unless its in the vibrate profile
  5. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

ah, let the Q have its fun. only other thing it may be is sounds are set to vibrate and play. Or it just is that way.
  6. Rochelleg

Rochelleg New Member

Turn off start up sound

Ok, so tell me exactly how you turned off the start up sound? It's driving me nuts. I have never done a hack before but am ready to try. I don't know where to go in the Q to do the hack.. can you tell me where to go? Ha ha.... seriously!
    Thanks! Rochelle
  7. scorrpio

scorrpio New Member

I use the registry editor that comes with SKTools - it lets me edit right on the phone. But there is a number of other editors as well.

On my Verizon Q9c, HKLM\\Software\Motorola\SplashAnimation\Startup\
    I edited the Sound key to *none*. Startup sound gone.
  8. henrylcr

henrylcr New Member

It can be done.

Fooling around with the registry the other day, I discovered that you can change a sound's category. Go to Current User/Sounds and you'll see all the different kinds of events for which you can set sounds. Scroll down to SystemStart. Change the Category string from 'Notification' to 'System'. Now it won't vibrate and if you still have the piano, it'll only play at the volume you've set for system sounds. Voila.

What really bothered me was that I wanted to keep my phone from playing sounds if I got email or had an appointment but still ring really loud when the alarm went off (I'm a heavy sleeper and sometimes forget to change my profile before bed) but reminders rang like the alarm instead of like email. To change that, I went to Current User/Sounds/Reminder and changed it's category from alarm to notification. Now the alarm can be noisy without making my appointments so loud.
  9. JeffCarlin

JeffCarlin New Member

I spent an hour editing the vzw_startup_sound.wav file and reduced the db output by -6db, which effectively removed the sound. Your solution is far better. What exactly do you put in the String value: do you leave it blank or actually put in some dummy value like "*none*"?
  10. scorrpio

scorrpio New Member

I specifically put *none* in the value (with the asterisks).