Start Menu Order

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by arrosen, Nov 27, 2007.

1. arrosen

arrosen New Member

Start Menu Order

I've searched and searched, but cannot find anything...

Is there a way to specify in chich order icons appear in your start menu? I'd like to organize it so that the apps I use the most are higher in the list.

Thanks!
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

3. Fuego3048

Fuego3048 New Member

I labled all of the icons in the windows/start menu folder numerically. For example: 1 google maps, 2 Live Search.... One thing to keep in mind that with this method folders always get pushed to the bottom no matter what number they are. Hope this helps a little.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard Fuego..

that is also a working/good method.
  5. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Too bad there's not a way to modify the order in whatever custom order you'd like.

I tried tinkering with PHM but couldn't figure out a way.
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

well... Fuego's method kinda allows you to sort however you want...unfortunately i could probably not live with the numbers in front of the name :]
  7. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

My start menu folder doesn't list everything that is in the start menu though... unlerss he knows something I don't.
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it doesn't ? what does it not list ?
  9. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

When I use the start menu, I have 28 listed. But in my start menu folder, there is only 7 with 4 folders... a total of 11.

Unless the rest are hidden, I never really bothered to try and see.
  10. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

That's what it was...lol. Didn't think about all this until I made the start menu into the grid view. I unhid the system files and there they were.

Thanks for mentioning it RB...
  11. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

@ Fuego,
    That was a good idea, thanks is on it's way once I can post from a PC.

I really liked your idea and took it a bit further to my liking. Since I had 30 start menu items plus the 4 folders, I moved some items into the accessories folder and at the same time, pulled out some things from my games folder and system tools folder..... ending up with 28 items and the 4 folders.

Instead of numbers, I used a-z, thus the reasoning for having only 26 ( IE and Settings can't be renamed and is ahead of the a) and moving some others into the accessories folder.
    I then put 4 spaces between the alphabet letter and the name, so as to seperate it a bit from the alphabetical letter but still keeping it close enough for icon association.

Looks absolutely perfect IMO... Thanks again for the idea. And since it is in grid view, I now have no real need for SmartTookKit, except the screen capture option, but I'm sure there are other screen capture programs out there.
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

cool... glad you got it sorted (maybe pun intended :} out..
  13. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Yeah me did, and me likey...LOL :tounge:

Thanks for making me think that there were files hidden because I might not have even thought about it since the registry only had 15 listed, and I just thought it was another Windows Mobile quirk.... that is until you seemed surprised that only 11 was listed. That's when I knew some must be hidden, like I said I never bothered to try and look....I'm glad I got this done...perfect to how I'd like it, and I can live with a small a after the icon, since there is a big A before as well, and I can easily see the name ...so it's all good. :wink:
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i am first and foremost (since recently) an idea man © n99, and i am glad it helped you..
  15. arrosen

arrosen New Member

Thanks to you all. I need to get a better registry editor...I am using Total Commander which isn't letting me see the text in the "Order" key...it is all coming up as Hex.

As soon as i get Rescu, I'll use the numbering scheme!

Thanks again!
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

think you mean Resco.... and just an fyi try PHM Registry Editor which is free.

don't get me wrong Resco is great... i have it and use it all the time.
  17. Fuego3048

Fuego3048 New Member

glad to hear that this was able to help everyone out! This is my first smartphone. im coming from a ppc and i love my new q9h!
  18. abmaul

abmaul New Member

so I guess there is no way to sort them without being in alphabetical order? All I want to do is edit the first 8 or so!
  19. Fuego3048

Fuego3048 New Member

I wish their was some other way, but I'm skilled enough to come up with anything else.
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea there is, with a registry editor go to the Start Menu and manually rearrange them, power cycle the phone and they are in the order you put them. (i believe there is a limit in this manually sorting, folders will always be last and from what i remember it will only sort the first 15)