Start Menu Icons?

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by brandon.roeder, Aug 14, 2008.

1. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

Start Menu Icons?

Is there any way to change what the icons look like in the start menu?

(PIE, WMP, ect)

I'd like to design my own if possible.
  2. docmac129

docmac129 New Member

Do a search thru Manbat threads. He was doing this with some help from someone else. I think that he accomplished it but it sounded real in depth.:smile:
  3. brandon.roeder

I saw a couple threads about it, but no set answer.

I have some really nice icons I designed for my computer. it'd be cool to use them on the phone!
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

5. brandon.roeder

6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yes, that would be cool.
  7. manbat

manbat Active Member

I've changed many....

I've changed many....I have created several custom icon dll files....they even run from the storage card. I even have custom folders in the file manager. You just write the icon.lnk. and drop it in the folder. My Demo software has expired that I was using to create the dll files. I am thinking about buying it. The thread that taught me how to do them is here on EQ. It's pretty easy once you get the software and get the format of the icon.lnk down. Posted via Q9m w\ Skyfire
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

so the method above may not be the best way to accomplish custom icons ?
  9. manbat

manbat Active Member

==========I never could get the icon.lnk to read the icons in the .icl files. I did use some of this thread for learning...
  10. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

brandon.roeder:This link ought to help you get where you want to be.It is a fairly involved process but dont get frustrated. If you have any questions, just let me know.

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/q-home-screens-and-wallpapers/folder-icons-24145.html

MANBAT: I had problems linking to ICL until i realized that when initially creating the icon library you have to "Convert Current file to Icon Library" using a single icon first. Also, when I saved my ICL files I had to use the "Save library (32-bit ICL format) as.." option found under the LIBRARY menu in GConvert5.0. Once I noticed that, it worked just fine.

Attached Files:

11. manbat

manbat Active Member

I'll Give it a shot.

==========================================
    Thanks...I'll give it a shot. I haven'y gotten around to buying the soft ware yet....Demo expired. It was a little frustrating when I know others had made the ICL work. I made 4 DLL files that work great. I have also mapped the icon files of most of my 3rd party program DLL's and currently use some of their icons for other things.(I found that most Apps have "lots" of unused icons in their DLL) I've changed or modded most start menu Icons. I even have custom folders in the file manager for about half of the folders. Some of the folders I just made different colors and different styles. Once I get tired of playing with the Marshall Wait Cursor program I am going back to the Folder icons....Found a great new source for images for icons. Oh, did you ever figure out animated select/unselect icons?
  12. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

No luck with the selected/unselected state icons. It's kind of hard to find a lot of time to sit down and mess with it being a recruiter. Its been about a month since I last tried but if i can get some quality free time Ill give'er another shot.
  13. manbat

manbat Active Member

Link isn't working.

========================
    Link isn't working.
  14. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

link fixed, thanks! :embarassed:
  15. sp1974

sp1974 New Member

Has anyone figured this out and be willing to make 2 for me and tell me how to install them on my phone. When it comes to the technical stuff I have no clue how to do it. I haven't even hacked anything on my phone because I am afraid I will screw it up. Any way I need two folders. One that holds my weather programs and on that holds all the stuff I dont use and titled misc programs. I was going to use the filing cabinet icon but not real happy about two of the same icon and I really hate the tan file folders. Any help would be appreciated.
  16. manbat

manbat Active Member

================================I have an icon dll library that has different colored folder and a few specialized folders in it. In order for the icon.lnk 's to work you would have to install the dll and write the icon.txt for each of there folders you wanted to modify with word pad. Once the icon.txt is placed in the folder you want it in you re-name it to icon.lnk At least that's how I do it. It can be pretty complicated if you have never done and hacks or other mods.
  17. sp1974

sp1974 New Member

Im glad you said it can be complicated. I have done nothing to my phone other than install cab files for a few programs. Is this something that a new guy can do or even should do?
  18. manbat

manbat Active Member

================================It is do-able have you read over the threads and links in this thread? Do you have Wordpad on your phone? Do you have Sprite Backup? I learned from this thread and one other that is linked. Read them over...If you want to try...I can give you some help the way I was helped. Posted via Q9m.
  19. sp1974

sp1974 New Member

I have memo pad and docs to go. No I dont have sprite. I dont really have much on my phone so didnt really think there was a need to back up since most everything is on storage card. I glanced threw the link but since I figured it was to complicated for me I stopped. I will re read it because I do want to change those folders. Also on an unrelated issue...do the speed hacks really make a difference? I have a Q9C and have heard they only matter if you have the original Q. If they do matter I'd like to try those too. So back to the folders....what do I need to get started?
  20. coppertop24

coppertop24 New Member

Dont mean to sound rude, but read the threads. Tells you everything you need to know. I know it can be daunting modifying your Q for the first time but just know that nothing you will be changing can ruin your phone. It is a bit complicated at first but once it clicks, its easy. Good Luck and have fun with it! :wink:

BTW, what color folders do you want and is there any particular style you want these in? Also, what existing folders do you have? (ie ACCESSORIES, PROGRAMS, GAMES, etc.)