start menu hack question

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by benjamin77, Sep 18, 2008.

1. benjamin77

benjamin77 New Member

start menu hack question

so I followed the hack instructions on how to organize the start menu to diplay the icons in the order I want but it seems like the only way to get the icons to work is if I use exe. file instead of ink. this means I have to copy the exe. file from my storage card and place it into the start menu folder on the device then go back and enter the link, ie. skyfire.exe, in the order organizer box to get it to work properly. of course my device memory is what concerns me. am I missing a step? is it poss to complete this process using the ink. files instead or exe.?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i did this hack with no issues.. it even applies to new installed apps after the hack, and i have to my knowledge no .exe files in my Start Menu... are you sure you followed the steps and some newbee's have been known to delete everything from the Start menu for this hack, but it's done in the registry..
  3. benjamin77

benjamin77 New Member

I did delete everything except for active sync. I powered off then back on and started entering the files as I wanted them to appear but they showed up as folder icons on my start menu. so I tried the exe. and it worked. any suggestions? or since I allready deleted the originals am I sol? PS thanks for your help again.
  4. benjamin77

benjamin77 New Member

one more note... I used phm to do this.
  5. don_blaze34

don_blaze34 New Member

what exactly are you supposed to do after you delete out the entries?
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

save & reboot..

potQ9c
  7. don_blaze34

don_blaze34 New Member

going through the entries i notice that there isn't even an active sync.ink...?
    was there one is yours rudeboy when you did this hack?
  8. Boycan

Boycan New Member

Just a thought since I have not done this hack but isn't it .lnk not .ink?
  9. don_blaze34

don_blaze34 New Member

yeah i meant .lnk and not .ink...typo on my part
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

there was an Active Sync.lnk in mine yes... if there isn't one, make/enter it.

potQ9c
  11. sweet1ne

sweet1ne New Member

as writtin

Download a program called CeReg (runs off pc) 1.connect it, 2.than unlock the registry with that program, (it will also pop up on your Q and ask you to continue) you will now have full acess to your Q's registry while its hooked up to usb, when organizing the files copy them out of the original location {HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMenu}

in the cereg program and paste them into notepad or something like that! its important that when you arrange them that the file names are identical in every aspect including spaces and capitals!

for example here is what you would copy from the reg and paste into wordpad.

Settings.lnk
    File Manager.lnk
    Call History.lnk
    Contacts.lnk
    Calendar.lnk
    Task Manager.lnk
    Tasks.lnk
    Internet Explorer.lnk
    Esmertec Jbed.lnk
    Bluetooth.lnk
    Messaging.lnk
    ActiveSync.lnk
    Windows Media.lnk

lets use "Windows Media.lnk" for example

in your start menu it looks like this "Windows Media" under the icon!
    now when editing your order you might accidently forget to capitalize the M like this---->"Windows media.lnk" of forget to space it out like this---->"WindowsMedia.lnk everything has to be perfect. if it doesnt work for you let me know! and you can get cereg free here-------------------------------------------------> http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/index.php?id=3&lang=en
  12. benjamin77

benjamin77 New Member

Thank you for your detailed response!
  13. LurkingNemo

LurkingNemo New Member

Wow! Much appreciated! :thumbup:

I attempted to rearrange my start menu a while ago and messed something up, resulting in it just being arranged alphabetically.

This regeditor is MUCH nicer to deal with then trying to navigate and edit that list on the Q.

BTW.. Does anyone have the default listing of start menu items from this reg key for a Verizon Q WM5 (original black).

Thanks!

14. sweet1ne

sweet1ne New Member

smiles!

your welcome! I am assuming that it worked for you than! it took me forever to figure out what i was doing wrong finally i realized that i had to put capitals lol! i was like jeez thats dumb!