Standalone SMS Ringtone manager - per contact SMS tones...

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by KillerQ, Oct 28, 2007.

1. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Standalone SMS Ringtone manager - per contact SMS tones...

Hey all,

I had a different post here, and wanted to delete but can't -- so I'll change it a bit...

This looks promising for Q users.... RINGO.

I'll try it and get back with ya... (By the way, this seems to take up more than 2mb on the phone -- wow!)

Thanks,

Matt!
  2. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Yeah, let us know how this works for you. I tried Ringo Mobile for ringtones and was not pleased with it. But was able to get a refund. Anxious to know if this is more user friendly.
  3. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Wow..

Very impressive - simple, yet powerful....

1) It tallies all of the sounds on your phone and lets you choose from a master list (however, i have found that mp3's will only show if they are placed on the SD card -- weird, but fine, I just copied them)

2) You can add on a per contact basis -- that is. Everyone falls under default except the ones that you 'add' to the friends list - then you can change the ringtone and the SMS for them each individually. Since I only have about 5 people i need specific rings for, this is cool...

3) It works even WITHOUT the program running in the background 0 which is nice.....no extra stuff running.

4) You can assign full mp3 songs (obviously) and they automatically stop after about 5 seconds of playing -- so you don't have to worry about not being able to mute/silence an SMS tone.

5) I am working with the developer on a few issues (like a master disable) -- i will keep you updated.

This is a nice, dedicated app that does what it is supposed to... Give the demo a shot. Let me know if you find any issues -- i'll tell the developer...

Honestly, the only reason I use Photo Contacts Pro is for the SMS tones.... and I would much rather use this...

Thanks,

Matt!
  4. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Thanks Matt!! Wish we knew about this before shelling out $25 for Photo Contacts Pro. Now the dilemna is what tones I want for who. Great find!!!
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

does this means you'll stop using MagiCall ?

posted on the Q.
  6. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Nah

Magicall still kicks ass - it's just sooooo customizable, i love it! I dont' use Magicall to assign tones (I don't even think it supports that feature).

I would MUCH rather use Magicall and Ringo together, than have it combined in PhotoContacts Pro, and not have it work correctly half the time...

I am glad my post helped TarHeel -- i'll keep you posted on my feedback from the developer.

I just love simple software that works!!

Oh yea, HERE's the user guide -- it's a quick read, but surprisingly informative!

I'll post more as I learn...

Thanks,

Matt!
  7. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Problem

Okay, I downloaded the trial version and set up my default ringtones and sms tones. Also setup individual tones for friends but when I get a text it doesn't play the tone. I have the mp.3 on my sd card in the music folder and when I look at the list, I am able to select them and they will play but when I get a text, no sound.

What am I missing?
  8. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

why are you trying this if you have photo contacts pro 5.0?? they are both $25 and it seems to do waayyy more... AM I MISSING SOMETHING??
  9. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Odd.....

Are any other tone managers running? If not, uninstall ringo, reset your Q, reinstall ringo, restart your Q, then try again.

Also make sure they didn't default to the 'silent' option. Lemme know.

Thanks,

Matt
    -SFMQ
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

from what i read in between the lines is that PCP either does not work as they want, or it is overkill for only the feature to set separate tones for sms messages.
  11. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Yeah, RB is correct. PCP didn't work all the time and the only feature I was interested in was being able to set up individual sms tones. It was way to difficult to figure out how to set up too. I mean it came with a 26 page book, for goodness sakes. No app should need 26 pages to setup as far as I am concerned.
  12. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

I have version 4.0 and you can't set up the individual sms tones. you don't like the full screen caller ID? that is why I like it. The ring tones on my version were easy to set up, can you figure that out on yours?? how often did it work?? fifty-fifty?? I was just about to buy the upgraded version for this feature...and mine bugs out sometimes-ringer ID doesn't always stick to the person..? maybe it is just a lil bug in PCP all together?
  13. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

I never did figure out how to set up the caller ID. I was more interested in the individual sms tones, so I didn't feel like spending that much time looking into everything. It worked about about 50-50, as far as, the sms tones went.
  14. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Yea,

Using PCP solely for SMS tones is like building a chain of restaurants, then hiring a drive through attenant to ask a drivethrough customer what the date is (hoping thay would even know) when all you really needed to do was buy a watch....

I am beta-testing the newest version (unreleased) of PCP, and it's still riddled with problems... Hopefully I can help change that...

Thanks,

Matt
    -SFMQ
  15. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

then what do you think about the Ringo sms tone manager?? easy to use? work 100% of the time?? seems a little pricy at $25 for the one feature if you ask me...

i'm installing the trial now. we'll see....
  16. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Hey,

It's fool-proof (not idiot-proof though...). It has worked 100% of the time for me so far. I have been using it all day, and it's great. I really love how it doesn't need to run in the background to work.

You'll see as you use it more.... Let us know what you think....

Thanks,

Matt!
  17. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

I didn't really like it. The volume was way too low when I actually received the text message. It sounds fine when I play it and when I receive it with the default text message tone... I wish PCP 5.0 worked well like it's supposed to...
  18. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

PCP 5.03, that's the latest version that I have does work for me 99.9%. Yes it does come with a 26 page booklet which tells you everything but there are two quick start guides to get you setup quickly. (Don't you hate it when you get an application and you have to guess how to do most of the things!).

With the individual SMS and Ringtones setup I've now started to use the auto-profiles which changes the profile based on the time of the day so that if I forget to turn the phone off at night it will automatically switch to silent mode.

I think we've had this it does work/it doesn't work discussion before but for me it's the best $25 I've spent on my Q so far.

Craig
  19. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

Thanks for your input. I think I am just going to get the PCP 5.3 and see for myself. Is it just as easy as assigning a ringtone?? Like I said, I have version 4.0 and I figured it all out with no problems...? Hopefully, my Q is one of the ones it works 99% of the time on...:wink:
  20. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

On day 2 of PCP v5.03 trial and it's working great! I didn't realize how nice it was having a different sms tone for each person. Anyone know if I purchase this version if I would get to upgrade to future versions for free??