Sprite Back-up

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by rickyrick1984, Aug 15, 2007.

1. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Yes I used it when I did my MOL 3 update and it worked fine...I may have had to do 1 or 2 minor tweeks but everything was there including my email setup.

Good luck.
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Sprite Backup

Actually, there are two versions of Sprite Backup -- a Lite version and a Full version. I think the Lite version just backs up to your device or a memory card, while the full version can also back up to a PC. Both versions allow extracting files from a backup file on your PC.

I haven't tried restoring using OS Upgrade mode with Sprite Backup 6, but 5.2 had a problem where your Internet connection wasn't restored. It sounds like DrQ says that's no longer a problem in Sprite Backup 6.

Steve
  3. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

I have had the 5.2 version, but haven't used it. I may try to upgrade to 6 before I do anything.

Also, (as I've mentioned) I am still on MOL2. Is MOL3 really that much better? If you have the .exe file of a program, do you have to have the .cab file too to re-install it (if that makes sense)?? For example, after I installed Docs to go I deleted the .cab file that it came with. So I have all of the .exe files but no .cab file to re-install it if I need to.
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Keeping CABs

If you have the installation EXE, you don't really need the CAB file. However, keeping the CAB can be useful if you don't have a backup and need to reinstall software while away from your PC.

I keep a folder of CABs (and other important files) on my MiniSD card for just that purpose (even though I also have backup files).

Steve
  5. JohnrC

JohnrC New Member

Is Sprite still the 'preferred', recommended backup app for the Q? (HP rx5900 too, for that matter.)

Seems like SPb or whatever those letters were, is the only serious contender.

Any opinion surely appreciated.
  6. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Spb Backup

I believe Spb Backup only works on the Pocket PC. At least, it's not listed on Spb's Smartphone software page.

So I think Sprite Backup is not only the best solution, but perhaps the only solution.

Steve
  7. JohnrC

JohnrC New Member

Thanks, Steve.

I purchased Sprite from their website, got a registration code, but don't have a downloaded file to go along with it. Anyone know what you're supposed to do to obtain the installation files?

If I try downloading the trial version I just get sent around in circles that I'm already subscribed.
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Downloading Sprite

I bought Sprite Backup from Handango, so I don't know how well purchasing from Sprite's site works.

I also recall some problems trying to find the download. You can try using a different E-mail address (if you have one). If not, try the Sprite download manager.

Steve
  9. JohnrC

JohnrC New Member

Thanks again.

I now seem to be able to download a file named SetupSpriteBackup6.exe but I can't tell if this is the SmartPhone version for the Q or a PPC version (which I might also get later for an HP rx5900) or if it's all the same. Do you happen to remember what your file was called?
  10. JohnrC

JohnrC New Member

PS: FWIW, I often purchase from Handango, but I couldn't locate Sprite Backup anywhere on the site. Thought that was strange.
  11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

File Name

I renamed my file to Sprite Backup 60.exe, but I can tell you that's the link I used to download the version that I installed on my Q.

Steve
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Sprite Backup on Handango

It's definitely there for the Pocket PC, but I couldn't find it for either the Motorola Q, the Q9h or the T-Mobile Dash. Maybe Handango's search system is messed up.

Steve
  13. JohnrC

JohnrC New Member

Thanks #3 :smile: Seems to have installed fine.

I'm doing the first backup and got pretty far through the process. But I'm now looking at a dlg box with progress bar saying "Waiting for the operation to begin on the device. This may take up to two minutes".

However, my Q was shut down in the process (i.e. it's got the big battery recharging icon on). Guess I'll turn it on and look for smoke.
  14. DrQ

DrQ New Member

It's supposed to shut down and restart. If it doesn't just press the red button to restart and it'll finish.
  15. JohnrC

JohnrC New Member

Exactly what happened. Thank you.

One error message that it wasn't able to back up SplashID. I really liked the Splash Wallet on the old Palm, but I'm struggling with it on the Q and PPC. I'm curious if anyone is running it successfully.
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Shutdown Is Normal

Like DrQ said, the shutdown is normal. In fact, it will shut down twice -- once to do the backup and once after the backup is done. (My guess is that the first shutdown is to stop any running programs -- and they may disable certain startup programs, too. The second shutdown would be to reenable the startup programs.)

Also, that battery charging screen is normal. It happens whenever your Q reboots and is connected to the charger or synced to your PC. Most people hate that, but other Motorola phones do it, too.

Steve
  17. terraterm

terraterm New Member

the internet connection does not get restored, with the latest version

so much for sprite and the q

hoping customer service at the carrier has a fix. if so i'll post. might different for every carrier.

*228 option 1, does not work for Bell Mobility...by the way they suck...
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

not sure what your talking about? you trying to restore your wm5 settings to a wm6 Q? that is causing problems but they are working on it. but if your restoring 5to5 or 6to6 that works great...
  19. terraterm

terraterm New Member

i'm restoring from my old q to a new q, same os wm5.

internet connection is broken

has it worked for you on two different q's, not the same one.

there's an earlier post stating that it won't work on different q's.
  20. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I have not tried myself but still thought if it was the same os you were ok! What settings did you select under restore? merge or restore...delete all files?