Sprite Back-up

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by rickyrick1984, Aug 15, 2007.

1. rickyrick1984

rickyrick1984 New Member

Sprite Back-up

I got my new Q on saturday did the back up, and everything appears to be fine, BUTTTT when you do the restore it only allows you to do the last back up as a restore, and thats when my phone started having problems, and it restores all the crap that i dont want. I can see all the other dates my phone backed up, is it possible to use a different back up date instead of the last back up date. The stupid phone wont accept text message, record missed calls, incoming calls, or or voicemail THE SAME CRAP IT DID BEFORE I GOT IR REPLACED, so it would be great to use one of my other back up dates before all that started to happen. HELPPPP!!! PLEASE (I miss my facade):frown::frown:
  2. DrQ

DrQ New Member

The Sprite forum may have a larger audience of Sprite informed users, if nobody here knows for sure.

My old Engineering boss said "It's not knowing, it's knowing where to look"
  3. scottjb

scottjb New Member

If you're sure you don't want that last backup, delete it. Then Sprite will have to find the next newest one.

However, you should be able to choose from all the available backups. When I select Restore, Sprite lists all the backups and I just select one.

I am using version 6, but I remember it working like that in 5 also.
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Sprite Restores

Are you trying to restore a backup from one Q on another? If so, that won't work, despite what Sprite says. You'll lose your Internet connection.

If you're trying to restore on the same device, what mode are you in -- Basic or Advanced? I use Advanced and can select the backup to use (after you enter your password, you have to highlight the ellipsis -- the ... -- and press the OK button to get the list).

Steve
  5. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Sprite claims they have resolved that issue on release 6, but I have not heard that any user has tested it on his new Q. Are you referring to the previous release or is this new 411?

I'm hoping it's now ,but I'm a belt and suspenders guy and have lots of ways to get my setup back. I don't want a broke internet connection though.
  6. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Sprite Backup 5.2

I'm using Sprite Backup 5.2, not 6. Unless they give me a free upgrade, I won't buy 6, either.

There's also no new software update (I'm using MOL 3) and I'm not getting a new Q, so I have no way to test Sprite Backup 6's Upgrade Mode even if I did get it.

Steve
  7. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I used the Version 6 beta going from MOL 2 to MOL 3 with Sprint and it worked fine, but I'd like to hear that someone accually done it on a new device.

I hope I'm not that person as that would mean I had problems with my present Q.

Have a great day Steve.
  8. scottjb

scottjb New Member

The upgrade from 5 to 6 is either free or $10, depending on when you bought 5. I must say 6 seems worlds ahead of 5 so far.
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Sprite Upgrade

I bought mine in November, so I'd have to pay $10. I want it free because one of the major features they advertised -- new device/OS upgrade restores -- didn't work on the Q. That's a pretty big bug, I think, and I spent a lot of extra time going from MOL 1 to MOL 3 because of the lost data connection problem (I tried several different ways to restore, but eventually had to Master Reset and reinstall everything from scratch). :angry:

So if I don't get a free upgrade for the hassle, the only way they'll get more money for this is if I hear about something that's very important to me. (Just to be clear, I don't feel that I'm somehow entitled to this upgrade for free; I just think it would be good customer relations to give those of us who fought through the bug a little break. If they do that, I'll be happy to pay for the upgrade for the copy on my iPAQ hx2795 Pocket PC.)

Anyway, why do you say that it's "worlds ahead" of Version 5?

Steve
  10. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I hope you voiced this to thier cust service. I never had the old version so I'd be interested in the "worlds ahead"
  11. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Well put, I agree with what you stated.

V5 offered only to restore an entire category (e.g. My Documents), V6 lets you drill down to backing up and restoring individual folders and/or files. That was one feature I missed from the PPC version -- good to have when you mess up a home screen xml file. ;)

V6 has Upgrade Mode Options. Here you can select ROM or Device modes letting you restore to the same device (ROM) or to a different device (Device). There is also a Safe mode -- not sure what exactly it does, but you're supposed to use it if your device does not boot after a restore using one of the other options. It is still to be determined whether these modes solve the Q restore problems, but it seems they made the attempt to deal with it.

There is also a selection to Merge or Replace sytem settings. Again, I think this is an attempt to not mess up a new device by overwriting Registry settings that go with that particular device.

If all these work as intended, it could be $10 well spent. If not, well, I'm $10 poorer.
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Telling Customer Service

I posted in their forums and asked if the upgrade would be free to those of us having the problem (twice). There was no answer there. (I would have linked to that thread, but they seem to have deleted it -- and many others.)

I'll go through customer service and see what they say.

Steve
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Sprite Backup 6 Changes

While that wasn't in Sprite 5.2, I think they came out with a Sprite Backup Explorer program later which basically did that. Of course, it's nicer that it's integrated into the program now.

Those could help, but I'd have to know more about them. I have an idea how the device/Os mode should work (see the end of this if you care), but I'm not sure that's how they do it.

Have they integrated the capability to create the "clean file" used in device/OS upgrade mode?

That's useful, but I'd rather it be dynamic, asking me about each conflict (with an option to Merge All or Replace All, at least within that key).

Well, it's not that $10 is that much. It's just the principle of feeling misled about the OS upgrade restore. I'm a software developer, so I understand that you can't test every device or configuration (one reason license agreements pretty much disclaim everything), but if a major feature doesn't work, I expect a bug fix or a free upgrade to a version with the feature fixed. (I didn't say my money back, because Sprite is still very useful for those odd Master Resets you may have to do.)

Steve

P.S. Here's how I think the device/OS upgrade mode works.
    1. You create a backup (A) of your existing device.
    2. You do a Master Reset and create a backup (B) of the clean device.
    3. You get your new device or upgrade the OS. Call that configuration C.
    4. You compare Backups A and B to give a list of changes on the old system. Those are changes the user made to the old system (registry hacks, program installations, data files, etc.).
    5. You apply those changes to C, except where there's a conflict.
    6. For each conflict, you analyze the conflict and either choose one or ask the user to choose an action.
      • If item in Configuration C is the same as in Backup B, it means the user changed a registry key or file, and you should probably go with the item in Backup A.
      • If the item in all three configurations is different, the system should probably go with the item in Configuration C (which may be necessary to the functioning of the new device). However, you might also prompt for a merge or backup copy.
    The conflict resolution step is the hardest, obviously.
  14. scottjb

scottjb New Member

I follow this, but have one question/comment.
    Not sure I see the usefuleness of B. A is my configuration. C is a clean device, after the upgrade, and to me seems like the one you would compare A to. Then you would resolve your conflicts between A and C. Would B really be relevant since it would only show the difference between a clean device before the upgrade and a clean device after the upgrade?
  15. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Device Upgrade Restore Process

Sprite provides a tool to create Backup B, so I assume they have some reason for it.

In my process, it's what allows you to determine which bullet in Step 6 you use. Without Backup B, you can't determine how to resolve a conflict between Backup A and Configuration C.

There may also be other reasons that I haven't thought of in the hour or two I've spent considering this over the past few months. Sprite probably put a few person-months (or person-years) into this.

Steve
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Got a Free Upgrade

As a follow-up, I contacted Sprite's help desk and asked for a free upgrade to Sprite Backup 6 (even though I was outside of the free upgrade window) due to the problems I had with Sprite Backup 5.2 not properly restoring the Internet connection in Device/OS Upgrade mode.

Their customer service sent me a link to download the program and a registration key without any problem, so I wanted to commend Sprite for this.

If any of you had the same problem, you might see if you can get a free upgrade, too. I can't confirm that Sprite Backup 6 fixes the problem, but it does have additional facilities to handle OS and device upgrades. (If you didn't have the problem, please don't abuse their generosity by asking for a free upgrade. :smile:)

Steve
  17. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

can anyone explain (in elementary terms) what Sprite backup will do for me? what does it backup? contacts, apps, calendar, all of the above? thanks for the help.
  18. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

here is the Sprite Website
    it lists exactly what it does
  19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

What Does Sprite Back Up?

In case the Web site wasn't obvious, all of the above (plus E-mail, data files, registry hacks, etc.). Basically, it's like backing up everything on your device.

Steve
  20. jknight4200

jknight4200 New Member

thanks. for some reason i couldn't find anything like that when i was looking...so, i install this on my phone? then, when connected to activesync i can browse/save using my pc? this will save EVERYTHING on my Q to my pc if i do the mol3 upgrade? i have spent countless hours setting up nes, snes, sirius, docs to go, auto-keylock, papyrus, facade, editing registries, tcmp, etc. and i don't want to start over!