Sprint Telenav GPS service?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by 8thWonder, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Yes do tell when you find out, I guess I blew 60 on a GPS receiver.. but hey it works right now at least.
  2. mashline

mashline New Member

Inpact from Motorola does not let me give it out yet. It is a dll that adds the serial port for the gps output. If they release it to the developer community it can be put out there. Untill then. I hope it comes soon. Telenav may be able to put it out first.
  3. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Hook a brother up. Field testing FTW
  4. mashline

mashline New Member

when i can i will.

:gasp:
  5. indyx

indyx New Member

Actually all phones have a GPS receiver chipset built into them. The difference between A-GPS and GPS is this.

GPS - the phone is fully capable of doing all calculations to determine your position without access to the cell network. It's fully independent but needs more processing power to do the calculations in a timely manner.

A-GPS - The phones firmware simply collects raw data from the GPS receiver chipset then sends that data over the cell network to a server that does the calculations in a timely manner and sends the actual coordinates back to the phone. The only thing the phone is responsible for is sending raw GPS satellite data to the network and displaying the coordinates that are transmitted back to it.

Both phones could easily have the same GPS chipset in them. It's how the phones firmware utilizes it that makes all the difference. Either type can be crippled to not provide NMEA access to the GPS coordinates.

Whether the Q's GPS chipset is used for onboard GPS calculations or A-GPS (motorola says it's A-GPS in their specs, who knows. lol) I'm still a bit baffled why it doesn't support access to it via NMEA com port?

With this dll file that adds NMEA access... have you been able to use the Q outside of network range? Does the DLL allow the Sprint Q to do the calculations itself, or is it still dependant on a network server for calculated GPS coordinates?

Oh by the way do you know what GPS chipset the Q actually has? I've searched and found info on just about every other chip in it except that one. lol
  6. mashline

mashline New Member

Put very well. The q can process the data itself. NMEA is from devices that process the data. They output gps location in a fixed format. The dll is from WM6. WM5 does not support nmea. WM6 does. The DLL is custom from Motorola. Telenav is working on there own. I do not have the timetable for Telenav. They already have working versions for WM6.

edit- The data is stored in memory. Think of the temp sensor on a motherboard. The data is there. Just need the hardware interface to retrieve the data.

P.s. Yes i have used the gps data without coverage. You can also use it as a gps reciever thru the usb port for windows maping programs.
  7. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

If moto actually has it, and its working, they need to release it.
  8. mashline

mashline New Member

I so wish they did. They have lots of stuff that is so kool. Now to get that out!... I can not say much more then you should become a developer.

edit- as with almost everything altering wm5 it does break some things. It is till beta.
  9. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

I should be a dev. I have developed alot of projects in my life, i always leak the fun stuff :p
  10. indyx

indyx New Member

thanks for the info, it all sounds very good. Now if they would just release it. lol

I'm just a bit suprised the Q has been out with one provider or another for quite awhile now and they are only getting to adding this funtionality now.

But then again I guess they've had bigger bugs to squash before worrying about added functionality like nmea access to the gps coordinates...
  11. franklinmall

franklinmall New Member

I finally figured out how to add addresses and look up businesses on the web and synchronize them to my Navigator's "Favorites". If anyone is interested here is the link: http://my.telenav.com