Sprint Telenav GPS service?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by 8thWonder, Mar 30, 2007.

1. 8thWonder

8thWonder New Member

Sprint Telenav GPS service?

Does anybody know if Sprint's Navigation service coming in April will be also available for the Q??
  2. mykal3

mykal3 New Member

when i called sprint on this about a month ago it was available for the Q for 9.99 a month. But I saw something recently about them adding tlenav to their powervision plans. not sure if they have done it yet.
  3. yunghkim

yunghkim New Member

i dont understand how the Q could support telenav since from what I know, the Q doesnt even have a GPS receiver built in unless you buy a GPS receiver.
  4. Cheb75

Cheb75 New Member

good point, I wonder the same thing
  5. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

While it does not have GPS Telenav will be supported with a GPS according to sprint. Also, there will be a telenav for q that uses towers to triangulate your position not unlike GPS...
  6. mashline

mashline New Member

all phones have a gps reciever in them. FCC mandate. Now weather it has nmea output to use in the device like all nextel phones is another matter. The gps in the q does output but not to a standart serial port. It can be changed to do so. It uses the same gps reciever as the motorola razor by part number and the razor now works with telenav.
  7. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I haven't tried this but you may want to go out on a limb an do it: http://www.navizon.com/releases/navizon_now_compatible_with_motorola_Q.htm
  8. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

I will try this later tonight. I was not aware the Q didnt support Telenav, kinda takes away from a bit of my excitement for my new phone.
  9. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Let us know how is works
  10. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Will do, the phone got here about twenty minutes ago. Once im done making an initial sprite backup i need to set it up, do the speed tweaks and the like and then this is on my list. Should have no problem getting it installed and tested by tonight.

EDIT: If i can get sprite installed in the Q, that is. Three different builds so far (all for WM5) and the Q keeps telling me its not intended for that device. Persistence is in my personality, luckily.
  11. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Program installed with no issues. Somehow sprint messed up my account (sigh, go figure) when they gave me my free PV so im waiting for them to fix it so i can connect to the internet with the phone. Once i can i will test this program, do a quick review, and post. I'll post back here with a link to that thread, just give me till tomm afternoon!
  12. indyx

indyx New Member

Actually the "GPS" that phones have built into them by FCC mandate is called "A-GPS". A-GPS and GPS are two somewhat different methods of location mapping. A-GPS (Assisted) is dependant on cellular network coverage. Go out of cell range and you'll loose your ability to get a position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

As far as I know Telenav uses the phones built in A-GPS. The Q has built in A-GPS. Why Sprint still doesn't have a version of Telenav ready for the Q is a bit of a puzzle to me...
  13. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

14. Stealth

Stealth New Member

15. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Have you had success with the program?
  16. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Me? - I haven't tried it as stated above. I got a GPS receiver and use google maps... Its Awesome.
  17. Stealth

Stealth New Member

By the way your avitar really needs to be a pic of Adam Sandler dressed up as scubasteve in Big Daddy
  18. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

yea i havent been able to find one for almost 2 years. I gave up about a year and 11 months ago :p
  19. mashline

mashline New Member

Yes and no.

A-GPS is what the fcc mandates. Motorola makes most nextel phones with a gps reciever with software for a-gps. Going back to the i55/58. Now they also put the same chipsets in several other products including the razor and q. I have worked as a service center tech for over 8 years on these phones. Now nextel phone have output nmea output. This is to use them with many other products. I have used sprint/nextel products out of coverage with telenav and the downloaded instructions and locations still work. The q does not have nmea output. It does not have a serial port output right now to use. Telenav is working with motorola to upgrade the phone to assign a port. Then the gps data will be able to be used with any app...

P.s. With a little hacking you can make it work with google maps/mslive just fine. More to come.:wink:
  20. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Please, do tell.