Sprint Q9c user considering new phone

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by JMak, Sep 4, 2009.

1. JMak

JMak New Member

Sprint Q9c user considering new phone

Longtime Q9c user with Sprint. I have loved this phone despite what was a long, shallow learning curve and dealing with the typical bugginess of any Windows OS. Loved the WM6.0 update, the sliding panels, and all of the custominzation that I could do for free.

However, I'm eligible for the $150 upgrade and have been looking closely at the HTC Touch Pro and got to fool around with one that a friend has. Phone seems to rock, the visuals on it rule, and looking at xda there's a whole lot of sweet customization available. Plus, and this is a big plus, I would stick with a familiar OS that has ICS which is very important to me.

Only problem is the price. Can't touch this phone for less then $300 and I think I understand why...it's a great phone.

So looking at other Sprint smartphones and staying away from the Palm phones, I see the Samsung Ace and the BB's. The Ace doesn't seem to review very well among Sprint customers. And the BBs, well, seems love/hate out there.

I recently subscribed to one of Sprint's Everything Data plans that includes the BB services. The additional charges for BB internet in the past is what kept me from getting a BB when I got the Q9c.

So I'm looking at keeping the Q9c and a BB Curve, maybe BB 8830 (if I can get a $50 credit for the Q9c when I return it to Sprint)..

Some of the Q9c users have made the jump to BB and to them and anyone else that would like to chime in, the following:

Do the BB phones have something like ICS that would allow me to use the phone as a modem without incurring add'l charges? This is an important feature for me as I don't subscribe to internet services at home.

GPS - on my Q9c, whenever I'm roaming I can't use GMaps or Live. Will this be the same on the BB and using Sprint Van app or these free GPS apps?

Does either BB phone have wifi? Tht was one real flaw with the Q9c, the lack of wifi.

Also, I love the weather panel on my Q9c, can you customize the BB in a similar way or is there an equivalent thing on BB for weather?

I understand that I'll get biased thoughts here, but I'm familiar with these boards and the posters and have to trust what you guys have to say on things phone-related, hence, I've posted the questions here.

Thanks for the time...
  2. bub710

bub710 Member

well i can't say much about the new phones but i have a q9c and my wife has the curve, both on sprint. I am more partial to the Q9c. The curve does have ICS but i experience secure network problems with it. If you like BB os than that's fine but the customization of the windows os has spoiled me. biggest difference is that i hate the BB internet experience. downloading is buggy and it looks like crap. for me i mostly use skyfire or opera. text based internet just sucks. speed wise they are comperable but battery life is a big one. My Q9c came with the extended battery and i charge it every other day or so when not power using. Her BB dies every night. also the radio is better on a motorolla. typically I drop fewer calls and have a couple of bars more than her BB. lastly BB has no wifi and the memory card is not accessible from the outside. also the trackball is annoying. it takes like 3 swipes to get across the screen.
  3. JMak

JMak New Member

I'd prefer to keep the Q9c I have now but the screen is so dusty that it's really affecting my enjoyment and use of the phone. And I dont really want to crack the thing open to clean it.

The cutomization thing is really enjoyable on the Q, too. I hope theres some customizing that I can do on the BB.

Im really kind of stuck here. The Touch Pro is too expensive and Im not interested in the Palm or other touch screen phones. So Im kinda left with a BB. I used a friends Curve this weekend and while kinda cool I wasnt that impressed. Though I was really impressed with the Tour...what a screen display that thing has.
  4. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I'm leaning towards the Pro myself. But like others have said the pricetag is still kinda steep. I'm hoping it will drop to a more reasonable level or possibly even a refurb later this year. They are generaly half the price and work/look just as good or better then brand spanking new ones.
  5. holdenmichael

holdenmichael New Member

You can go used for around $200 or even less if you check the selling forums on various websites.

I went from a Q9c to a Touch Pro for the screen (resolution, size, and touch), but I'm still not satisfied. Where my Q9c was too wide, the Touch Pro is too thick. The speaker is much better on the Q9c. Battery life is practically endless in comparison to the Touch Pro.

Have you considered a Pre? Snap? Treo Pro?

I may go to eBay to pick up a Snap before going with a Hero, Pixi, or Diamond 2/Whitestone/HD equivalent for Sprint if neither the Hero or Pixi will be eligible on my rate plan.
  6. gadget

gadget New Member

I haven't been on the board for a while but I am trying to decide on a new phone and I have had every version of the Q available through Verizon. I really enjoy the customizing and tweaking the registry and other things on the operating system.

The nick name "gadget" has been with me for 30+ years now and not without reason...
    I can't own anything without customizing it!

That being said, I went into the Verizon store a couple of weeks ago and the salesman went out of his way to sell me a Blackberry.
    He showed me the Storm with a full touch screen and no keyboard but with the most beautiful screen I have ever seen on a phone!
    Screen: 3.25" HVGA+ 480x360 and believe me, displaying pictures and video is really impressive.

I have spent 2 weeks with the Blackberry now (still have my trusty Q9c) and I have gotten used to the on screen keyboard and actually like the phone quite well. It plays well with Windows and syncs real well with Outlook, the device seems plenty quick enough for me. Email is great on this thing, I don't care much for the browser but then again I don't use my phone much to surf the net.

As far as the weather, there is an app for the Blackberry devices called Bweather that is really nice, I don't like it as well as the sliding panels weather on the Q but it is close.
    Here is a link to a YouTube video of the weather program:

Did I mention how much I like this screen! It is absolutely the best I have seen and it is even quite good outside in the sunlight.

But, I am returning it tomorrow and getting the Touch Pro 2. And if I don't like that I will probably go back to the Q.

Here are my reasons.

1. There are a lot of really cool programs available for the Storm and other Blackberry devices, I was really surprised. The problem is that after you install a few you run out of space and the programs can't be installed to the storage card! You can put all of your music and video on the card and you can have the camera and video recorder save to the storage card but you can not install programs to it. If you use VZ Navigator and have it on the phone there is very little room for much else.

2. I have searched everywhere and as near as I can tell there is really no way to get down and dirty when it comes to customizing this thing. I finally found a program that lets me get into the file system on the phone and edit any text based files but there is really not a lot that can be changed.

The only real customization of the home screen is to download themes and for me that is a real deal breaker!

Bottom line is if you like to tinker and customize things the Blackberry is probably not the phone for you, but if you just want to buy a phone that is great for email and that you can use out of the box I think they are a good device.

Just my 2 cents worth, I am not a Blackberry expert but I can say that I have spent may hours tinkering with and studying this device so the information I posted is to the best of my knowledge correct.

gadget
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

wow great to see you around gadget....hope all is well

if you get the TP2 im sure we will get a great deal of really good info and customizations!

-Sent from my Q9n
  8. JMak

JMak New Member

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

holdenmichael, I have considered the Pre and Snap since posting this thread. With the $ reduction, new WebOS, wifi, and general asthetic appeal of the Pre it looks like a winner.

I'm not so interested in the Snap for two reasons. First, I cannot find a working demo phone at any of the four Sprint corporate stores. Maybe I should try a Verizon store and look at an Ozone for a good look at what the Snap would be like? Second, it's WM. Customizing the phone is interesting and fun and...awfully frustrating and time consuming. I'm just not that into spending hours dl'g apps, installing, using, uninstalling, resetting the phone, etc., etc. any more. And I understand that the HTC phones require even more of that work out of the box including wholesale ROM replacement.

I've also looked hard at the BB Tour and while I love the look of the phone, the display, and the experience using a demo model, reading the innumerable complaint posts at SprintUsers about the phone's internet experience is really turning me off since I use the internet far more than the phone itself. Combined with the $199 tag, lack of wifi, and no threaded texting, I don't think I'll get it.

Choosing a phone is tough.
  9. holdenmichael

holdenmichael New Member

I completely understand when you when it comes to being tired of constantly tweaking a phone. I'm downloading a new ROM for my Touch Pro as I type this.

While the Snap has many flaws, it appeals to me for three reasons:

1. It flies. There's almost no lag even when I've opened 8-12 programs (well, at least T-Mobile's Snap did).

2. It seems to include many of the panels I used to add to my Q9c's sliding panels homescreen (weather, links to programs, internet links, etc.).

3. Battery life. The stock battery has enough handle my usual day to day activities w/o worrying about making a long call, watching a movie, downloading a large podcast, or streaming radio at the end of the day.

If Sprint had released the same version of the Snap as T-Mobile, I'd already be an owner. Sprint's half glossy back, keyboard, and lack of wifi are enough to keep me waiting for the next phone that'll be available on my plan.

This article has a picture of the Verizon Ozone and Sprint's Snap side by side so you can get an idea of what the differences are if you decide to try an Ozone out: http://www.wmexperts.com/verizon-ozone-hands

I've read complaints about a lack of programs (I haven't check to see if every program I use is available) and battery life on the Pre so I'm not yet willing to double the cost of my plan for a device.

Good luck on your search.
  10. cslevine

cslevine New Member

Q to HTC snap

Check the prices now.. I think with the rebates you can get it for 149.00 from sprint
  11. relisted

relisted Member

i have the pro and after flashing the rom its the best choice i have EVER made

i flashed to mighty rom 6

its so much more responsive than the sprint stock rom.

but yes the touch pro is worth it. but the touch pro 2 is worth it even more..
    lol
    roms for the tp2 will be out soon

but i say deff go with the pro
  12. relisted

relisted Member

also
    try craigslist.
    thats where i got mine for 150 lol and nothing is wrong with it at all.
    but i messed something up on purpose and sprint replaced it for free
    so brand new phone for 150? lol
  13. ixneezy

ixneezy New Member

HTC Hero?

My friend at work who also has a Q9c like myself was telling me he was considering getting the HTC Hero.

I looked it up and it looks pretty sweet. I might be calling sprint soon and try to convince them to give me one for free with a 2 yr.

I checked on their website to see what kind of deals I could get, once without logging into my account and the Hero came up as 179.99.

Then I logged into my account and checked upgrade and that ALSO came up to 179.99 so there is some BS going on there, will have to chat with them and see if I can fandangle a better deal.