Sprint Q9c - GPS w/o service plan

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by trackjunkie, Jan 15, 2010.

1. trackjunkie

trackjunkie New Member

Sprint Q9c - GPS w/o service plan

Hi,

I've spent the last 4 days searching and reading threads to find a solution for this with no luck - so here goes. I have a Q9c that has no service plan on it - data or voice.

I want to use the phone as a standalone GPS device with RaceChrono (http://racechrono.com/). Based on what I've read about the capabilities of Sprint's Q9c, this should not be an issue.

The issue I'm having is that several programs (including RaceChrono and gpsVP) *are* able to access the internal GPS, however the GPS will never acquire a fix to any satellites.

The phone continuously tries to update the vision profile/connect to a data network any time these programs are open and attempting to get GPS info. It seems that it will not acquire a fix until this process completes, however my hope is that it can be disabled or bypassed somehow.

To clarify one other point - no I do not *need* a data connection for the software I'm using. It uses pre-downloaded maps with the option to plot your own map inside the software (similar to gpsVP).

Let me know if you have any suggestions, and I apologize in advance if there's an existing thread with a solution that I haven't come across. This thread covers a similar issue, but with no resolution: http://www.everythingwm.com/forum/moto-q-9c/moto-q9c-stand-alone-gps-31518.html

Thanks in advance.
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

A WiFi card may get around the data connection issue. I know data is not needed but it sounds like it is stuck looking for some sort of connection to something.
  3. trackjunkie

trackjunkie New Member

Thanks Mike. I thought about that, but unfortunately I won't consistently have access to WiFi where I'll be using the phone.
  4. manbat

manbat Active Member

Q9c will not do 'stand alone' GPS......that was the subject of a huge thread here at EWM. No one was able to get it to work. It could use google maps and a few others with an active phone on Sprint....I believe.
  5. trackjunkie

trackjunkie New Member

Thanks. I'm reading through that thread now. I was hoping for a solution, but if there isn't one I suppose I won't spend any more time on it.
  6. manbat

manbat Active Member

Bluetooth reciever

Bluetooth GPS recievers work great with the Q9m and Q9c phones....added expense though. My old Copilot Live 6 works on my Q9m/c with no data activation and a Bluetooth GPS reciever.....