Sprint files needed. Please help!

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by thebixcuit, Jun 16, 2008.

1. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Sprint files needed. Please help!

So I have pretty much nailed down where the problem is with Verizons implementation of GPS which doesn't allow us to use free apps.

I need from a Sprint user to get an image of the phones partitions. I have linked to the tool to do it.

http://66.104.11.164/nhickman/pdocread.zip

Here are the steps:
    1. Download the file pdocread zip .
    2. Extract it to some directory on your PC. (c:\temp\moto works)
    3. Go to the command prompt and CD to the dir you extracted it to. (cd\temp\moto).
    4. Run pdocread -l to get a list of partitions on your phone and note the memory addresses next to the Part00 Part01 and PART02 files.

Mine looks like this:
    63.94M (0x3ff0000) TrueFFS
    | 4.12M (0x41fc00) Part00
    | 2.50M (0x280000) Part01
    | 57.31M (0x3950000) Part02
    52.72M (0x34b8000) TrueFFS
    | 4.12M (0x41fc00) Part00
    | 2.50M (0x280000) Part01
    | 57.31M (0x3950000) Part02
    1.88G (0x78180000) DSK1:
    | 1.88G (0x78160600) Part00

5. For Part00 I would run "pdocread -v -w -d TrueFFS -p Part00 0 0x41fc00 Part00.raw" Replace the 0x41fc00 with what is listed next to yours. It is probably the same, but I don't want to take any chances.
    6. For Part01 do the same "pdocread -v -w -d TrueFFS -p Part01 0 0x280000 Part01.raw"
    7. Part02 (the most important) "pdocread -v -w -d TrueFFS -p Part00 0 0x3950000 Part02.raw"

These will dump the partitions to Part00.raw, Part01.raw, and Part02.raw. Dump them on my FTP either as they are or Zip them up, I dont care..
    ftp://66.104.11.164:444

Thats IP:66.104.11.164 PORT 444

Once I get these I am very sure that I can get GPS working easily on the Verizon q9's!

Thanks!
  2. weinster666

weinster666 New Member

Very cool!!!

I look forward to the hack.
  3. MarkG121087

MarkG121087 New Member

thebixcuit, I was able to find online the WM 6.1 ROM for a Q smartphone on the Orange cellphone network.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=373556
    The link is a couple of posts from the bottom. I guess if you open up the Rom, somehow, you would be able to find the files you need. I am also downloading this Rom. If you have any problem with getting the Rom I will send it to you somehow, however the size is about 50 Mb. I hope this helps you out, cause I really want to get GPS on my Verizon Q9c too.
  4. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Yeah, I have that. So far I haven't found a way to extract the files from the SBF. There is another ROM floating around there that has the files extracted, but it is for the HTC.

You *could* flash a VZW phone with this sbf file using MSU, but I'm not taking that risk :).

Easiest way to get this done is to get the files right off of a sprint phone.
  5. CarNutInAZ

CarNutInAZ New Member

Eh... I want to do this for you guys, but it all seems a little fishy.

My phone was asking me if it was ok to allow that program to install/update something on my device. Not sure I trust that. Especially since this little program isn't from a trusted site.

If it were simply reading/pulling data from my phone that would be one thing. It actually asked me if it was ok to update a .dll file.

- Jason
  6. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

do u have to have a Q9c ? if you can have aQ1 ill do it
  7. MarkG121087

MarkG121087 New Member

bixcuit, I have been snoopin around the internet and just doing a Google search, a couple of programs came up for extracting a file from an SBF file. Many said that is accomplished very similarly as extracting from an SHX file.
  8. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Ive read the same things, but never found any programs. I found perl scripts that could parse information from them, but reading hex for registry values is not worth the time.
  9. Anthony.Selby

Anthony.Selby New Member

any news yet ?
  10. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Files still needed?

I have a newly upgraded Q9c Sprint and can dump the files if still needed.

GG
  11. Anthony.Selby

Anthony.Selby New Member

I would love to see the windows mobile 6 files ... if you could upload them
  12. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Files are on the way

Files are on it's way as i write this. There are 3 of them: Q9SPT-00.raw, Q9SPT-01.raw, Q9SPT-02.raw . I copied them to the FTP addy you posted in the 1st entry. It'll take some more 15 min.

I was actually wondering if one could use those .RAW files as "Backup" - hence if i screw up somwhere could i copy the files back and have the same state as before? I also tried "dumprom" but was only successful on file 0 and 1 - for some reason the big file (#2) would not cooperate. Any ideas why?

Thanks for answering the questions and have fun with the dumps....

GG
  13. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Thanks! Technically you could use them as a backup, but writing back to the device is a challenge since you are writing raw data to memory. I believe there is a lock on certain locations as with the HTC phones. I haven't tried it so i really can't truthfully answer your question.

I received some files a couple of days ago and started looking at them. Sprint does include a different driver for the GPS so getting this working is promising.
  14. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Change in Plans

Would not upload the big file. FTP got stuck at 2 min Remaining. I .rar'ed all files together - it's called pdcoread.rar - lets see if that works.

GG
  15. GGranello

GGranello New Member

Success

File is there. Hope that works for you. The files you got a day or so ago where from me as well, but my box here rebooted and i did not know what went and what not.

Any insight on the dumprom would be apprechiated.

GG
  16. MarkG121087

MarkG121087 New Member

Yea I'm sure someone can use those files to help unlock the GPS.
  17. Anthony.Selby

Anthony.Selby New Member

Hey,

how do you put these back in to a file system, what app do you use to look at these .raw files ?
  18. GGranello

GGranello New Member

File access....

All,

I was somewhat hoping that this question would be answered by a person that really knows.... Until then I'll give it a shot. One can use a utility called dumprom.exe, you find that on the site that has the utility to copy the .raw file off the smartphone. dumprom.exe will extract (supposedly) the .raw content and make it back to files / folders. I could only make that work for partition 0 and 1 - it would not work on number 2 (the big file) and i did not have time to tinker further....

Hope that helps.

GG
  19. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

When I was messing around with the Load Icon Hack, I found a way to write system files to the ROM. Will this help any? If so, let me know and we can work something out... you can send me the files and I can try it, or I can look back and see what the programs where and send you instructions for them, if I still remember and/or have them.

Jon
  20. GGranello

GGranello New Member

.raw Files

Well, Writing files back is certainly one issue, I think the more pressing issue is how to read the .raw format or convert it into something that makes more sense - hence more human readable. Maybe that is a non issue for everyone else, so far i could not figure it out - but that might be just me.....

GG