Sprint calltones/ringtones....

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by memphisboi55, Apr 16, 2008.

1. memphisboi55

memphisboi55 New Member

Sprint calltones/ringtones....

hey new q9c user here, owned it for about 2-3 weeks now. loving it
    before i could just go to the sprint site and buy ringtones/calltones with no problems. but since when i go to the sprint site and try to buy one, it doesnt show it as me being able to anymore.......

can you not buy calltones/ringtones with this phone?

thx!

:embarassed:
  2. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I don't think the ringtones at Sprint's website are compatible with your Q . . .

But, if you search for "free ringtones", you'll find some threads here where you can get all the ringtones you want. Or, you can make your own per the instructions in several threads here at EQ.
  3. memphisboi55

memphisboi55 New Member

thx!

but im more looking for calltones... the music that plays when people call me instead of hearing the phone ring.

thx though
  4. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I hear ya on the "call tones." Call tones reside on the server on the Sprint side and technologically have nothing to do with which phone you have - therefore you should be able to buy them for any model Sprint phone.

Having said that though, my sister-in-law first contacted me regarding call tones shortly after she got the Motorola Q (original) I sent her. She asked me how she could buy them. So I logged into her account online (we registered her phone on "My Sprint" or whatever they're calling it now) and found the link for buying ringtones/calltones/games etc. Digital Lounge? I think that's what they call it. However in the Digital Lounge "Call Tones" are no where to be found. This was for an original Q. I now have a Q9c and have yet to check if they're available for it (doubt it).

*Edit* Just checked and under "Entertainment" there are the following categories:

1. Games - not in here
    2. Lifestyle - not in here
    3. Ringers - No ringtones in here, WTF?
    4. Screen Savers - Duh - not here either

So you got me where you actually buy a damn ring tone, let alone a call tone. Let me know if you figure it out. I don't have the energy in me to waste more of my time on the phone with the so-called Sprint experts/techs/support.
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

aaaand welcome aboard...

potQ.
  6. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Calltones are not available through the Sprint website. When I bought my original Q I was transitioning from a Samsung A900 which I had calltones on. When they transferred my number to my Q the calltone came with it but I couldn't get it off or change it. I had to finally call Sprint and have them remove cause my dear mother was making threats that if she had to listen to "Take me out to the ballgame" one more time she was going to and I quote: "beat the living daylights out of me" (never have figured out what that means):tounge:

I now use a program called Youmail that redirects your voicemail and enables you to change/customize your voicemail greeting. For example, my voicemail greetings for the general public is my own voice asking them to leave a message and for friends it's telling them that I am still celebrating North Carolina's win over Kansas (since it was there last win, I am holding onto that for awhile) so leave a message.

To use Youmail with Sprint you have to call Sprint and have them change your call forwarding settings but the Youmail site gives you instructions on what to ask Sprint to do just be prepared to sit and go through a few reps before they either know what you are asking or are willing to try what you are asking. Took me 2 hours and 3 tech support reps to get mine setup. Very frustrating but worth it in my opinion. And also Sprint charges you .20/call that is forwarded to Youmail.

Of course, this does not fix your desire for your callers to hear a calltones when they call but it is an alternative, since that feature is not available on the Q.
  7. memphisboi55

memphisboi55 New Member

yeah. when I had my a900 before I switched over, I could just go to sprint.com and buy them with no problems. o well. thx though
  8. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I already have this - it's called GrandCentral and kicks "YouMail" in the groin. Instead of giving people my real cell number I give them my grandcentral number. Should I ever change carriers or phone numbers I simply redirect my GC number the the new cell #. On top of that if I never want to hear from a particular person again I simply check mark a box next to their number in my account that says, "block caller" & from then on they hear a "number disconnected, check the number & try again" message. On top of that when people call my GC number I have the option of: #1 taking the call, #2 sending to voicemail, #3 send to voicemail AND listen in (also can press * to pick up the call as they're leaving a message - this really confuses the crap out of people), #4 take the call and record it. On top of that I can later listen or download the recorded call as an .MP3 - or I can leave it on their server, it's never deleted. I have 4 hour conference calls that I 3 way called myself into so I could half listen and do something else at the same time - later I listened and reviewed it at my leisure. On top of that I can leave a personalized greeting for EVERY PERSON that ever calls me. My boss thinks it's me on the line every time I say, "Oh hey Bob... *PAUSE* I can't get to the phone right now, but leave a message and I'll get back to you ----- BEEP!" On top of that I can initiate outgoing calls through their website and the person I'm calling only sees my GC number. On top of that I can initiate outgoing calls via their mobile designed website on my Q.

GrandCentral USED to let you upload ANY clip you wanted from your PC and use it as a call tone, but they took it away because they were threatened with a lawsuit - too bad because the feature was F**in bad a$$.

Forgot to mention GrandCentral.com is free (oh yeah, and registrations are closed for now).

So now I'm hoping for some Sprint call tones so I can keep all the great GC services. Doesn't look like a Sprint call tone is going to happen for me though.

Sorry for all of the "On top of that" - it's 5 am & I've been awake & working since 7am yesterday. Need sleep...
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you can do all that with youmail and you dont have to hand out a new phone number
    plus you get visual voicemail
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

So there...neener neener!:tounge:
  11. n99hockey

hahahaa:laugh2:
  12. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

"Handing out" a new phone number isn't a drawback. It's freedom from being bound to one carrier or service somewhere forever. From the moment you change your number to the GrandCentral number, you can forever make it ring whatever line you want - simultaneously.

Currently I have my GrandCentral number ring my personal cell phone, house land line, office line AND two of my work cell phones all at the same time - this way if I'm in my house where cell coverage is sketchy, I can choose to pick it up on the land line. If I've answered the call on the land line & need to walk out the door to go somewhere I don't have to end the call, I can press * and my other set lines ring (while still in conversation) which I can pick up any one of, hang up my land line, walk out the door talking on my cell and the person I'm speaking with has no idea I've just moved the call from land line to cell. Family & friends are set to only ring my personal cell, and work people are set to ring only my work numbers.

This is like going from having your email account with your ISP (say verizon) to web based mail like Gmail. No matter who you have internet service with, once you're using Gmail it doesn't matter any longer. You can change ISP's every week and never have to give another email address out.

*Neener neener neener* :tounge:
  13. n99hockey

hahahahaha
    well i dont have a house line
    neener neener neener:laugh2:
  14. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Touché! :laugh2: