Spectec Mini-SD WiFi cards

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by CSilver, Jun 30, 2007.

1. waahiven

waahiven New Member

I'm trying to decide what phone to get and if this new mini wifi card works I will without a doubt pick up a Q.

on a side note if anyone knows where to find a good deal on a alltel q email me please!
  2. waahiven

waahiven New Member

I've searched and see that this topic has been covered a lot but so far I can't find a definite "it doesn't work" or "it does". I see where the first card was found to NOT work because of power issues but I see the NEW card uses far less power. So my question is can anyone confirm that the NEW card does or does not work with the regular Q ??? Thanks in advance guys!!
  3. alexithemoi

alexithemoi New Member

Waahiven, to sum it up:
    If you have a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon it won't work unless you have the Q9m model. That's to say that the silver and black Qs aren't compatable. However, if you have a GSM carrier like AT&T or Sprint they should be compatable.
    I need to mention that I am not posting this from experiance but from Spectecs own copy posted earlier in this thread.
  4. alexithemoi

alexithemoi New Member

oops. Should have read 'like altell or verizon.' How do I correct posts?
  5. waahiven

waahiven New Member

What model is the Grey Q from Alltel ? man I wish I could just confirm the new card worked
  6. alexithemoi

alexithemoi New Member

It's not a compatable model. Not according to the info given. A person could, as has been suggested, get one and if it didn't work could return it.
  7. waahiven

waahiven New Member

Yea it might come down to me doing that. I was just hoping someone else might have already tried it. Is there a Micro Wifi card, maybe run it with an adapter ...
  8. alexithemoi

alexithemoi New Member

Shucks Waahiven, I thought the grey Altell Q used miniSD. If so then the Spectec card is miniSD card is the one you are after. Though I have to say again that I am very suspicious that it won't work for you.
  9. waahiven

waahiven New Member

No no the Grey Q does take the mini SD I was just thinking if you could use a micro with the adapter IF it used less power. Hell I don't care how I just want to find a way to get wifi on the Q lol
  10. alexithemoi

alexithemoi New Member

Interesting angle. As it turns out Spectec also makes a microSD wifi. I'm not finding any info on as to weather or not there have been any atempts successful or not to run one on the Q. The might be a power transfer type issue however. Anyway, if you tried it you may be the first.
  11. waahiven

waahiven New Member

Well I see the new mini wifi card's power usage is 2.8v-3.6 I can't find the Socket specs but will that work on the standard CDMA Q ?
  12. alexithemoi

alexithemoi New Member

This is the part in the conversation where I have to shrug my shoulders and say, 'Well shucks... I dunno.'
  13. waahiven

waahiven New Member

14. alexithemoi

alexithemoi New Member

Well I guess the only way is to lay your two dollars on the table.
  15. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

C'mon,

Take one for the team. if it does, in fact, work with "regular" Q's - them you, my friend, will be a hero around here for a few days...

Contact the seller and say "hey, have you peronally used on on the Q? If so, what model, etc)

Matt!
  16. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

So I have a black Amp'd Q,
    would it be able to use the miniSd IO card?
  17. alexithemoi

alexithemoi New Member

What Azn? An Amp'd Q? Did you get it activated on Verizon or are you just using it as a PDA?
  18. aznmsoong

aznmsoong New Member

It is an old Ampd phone, it is activated on Page Cell Plus (powered by Verizon Wireless)

So I have no idea if this will work, as I do not want to buy the card and have it not work

I do not consider power output at all before
  19. stulombo

stulombo New Member

does anyone know if i were to use my wifi card on my Q9M w/ verizon would i still be charged for internet usage even though i am using my own wifi at home????? (im on a budget and needed to cut out my data plan w/verizon for the time being.) thanks
  20. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Verizon can only charge for data that flows through their network so you can't get charged for data that goes through the wifi.