Spectec Mini-SD WiFi cards

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by CSilver, Jun 30, 2007.

1. CSilver

CSilver New Member

Spectec Mini-SD WiFi cards

Does anyone know if the Spectec Mini-SD WiFi cards are compatible with the Q. Somesites say they are, but most forums and reviews say they are not and that the Q doesn't have enough power to make the device work. However, many of these forums are over 6 months old. DOes anyone know if things have changed?
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

they wont work...the sd slot doesnt have enough power to run it
  3. macgeek

macgeek New Member

From what I understand after reading about this on multiple posts, both here and on other sites, it's not necessarily true. According to some, it's not the power requirements - the card has similar requirements to most miniSD flash cards - it's got to do with the OS and/or drivers.

Having said that, I would also point out that most of this information is a year or more old.

If you go to the Spectec website (here) you'll see that the feature their Motorola Q products quite prominently. You'll also note that the homepage features the Q on it, along with the note that the products are for the Q GSM or Q9m. I'm sure that these are newer versions of the Q, since it also indicates Windows Mobile 6.0 - so I have to wonder if there has been some change, either to the hardware (if it was in fact a power issue), or in the OS of WM6.0, or in the development of better drivers for the cards.

Regardless, it appears that no-one has bothered to try to confirm or deny any updates to the situation in quite some time - everyone sees that it didn't work a year ago and just keeps re-stating what was stated then.

I sent an email to Spectec to try to see if there is any update, so hopefully that will give some more up to date info.
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

alright well post your findings whenever they email you back....
  5. gav91183

gav91183 New Member

this could be the best news of the day if we find out this works!
  6. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Did you ever get an answer?
  7. Eugene

Eugene New Member

8. pacman7

pacman7 New Member

If you look at their setup pdf at the bottom of the page it doesnt look anything like the q or its os
  9. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Thats typical for a lot of manuals, espically translated ones.
    I wonder if an improved SD slot will be in the Q9M
  10. binder

binder New Member

i don't think this information helps any, but that new "improved" card states that it is compatible with windows mobile 5.0, unlike the original card that only is windows version 2003 or something.

maybe this new card is different...it has a different part number so something with it has changed.

also, the 825 says that it runs "super low power" and it's 2.8-3.6 volts, the other is 3.0-5.0 volts.
  11. Justinxpx109

Justinxpx109 New Member

It would be awesome if this works
  12. polishp86

polishp86 New Member

yeah this would be one of the best finds ever for the Q! Not having WiFi is one of the only complaints I have with the Q, let us know if you find out if it works or not.
  13. Eugene

Eugene New Member

14. macgeek

macgeek New Member

Sorry it's been so long - I was hoping to hear back from Spectec, but no luck there. Now the Q9m is out, so that might be the best hope so far - especially since it looks like the specs for the Q9 and the WiFi card don't totally line up so to speak - version wise, I mean.
  15. Eugene

Eugene New Member

The spectec wifi works, I got mine last night. An accidental speed test with evdo gave me some comparison numbers and wifi came out about 10 times faster than evdo.
  16. binder

binder New Member

you have a regular Q? also, which one did you buy? i'm buying mine asap if you can tell me the one you bought.
  17. binder

binder New Member

also...where did you buy it? i can't find it for sale anywhere. i'm thinking the sdw-825 8011b/g is the one.
  18. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I have the Q9m. I have the 822 (b only) because the 825 was listed as preordered everywhere.
    I got it from buygpsnow
  19. tyhaar

tyhaar New Member

I emailed Spectec about the b/g card for availability to buy. Hopefully they reply as I would like to get the lower power consumption one and alot of the wireless networks I access have the b/g access. G is much faster on my devices! All the info I have researched said they worked with the Q. I just order Moto Q so I'm new to the phone.

Does anyone know where you can get the b/g model?

Thanks for any information.....
  20. BIG ACH

BIG ACH New Member

I can't seem to get my spectec card to work. Its the 822 one. I have the Q8 gsm, I tried to install the software from the spectec website, well, it tells me that windows mobile has encounted an error. and If I reset I get that endless reboot loop and have to hard reset my device sucks yo - Any suggestions?