Speck Cases: Quality Protection? And Other Options

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by Guerrilla, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Speck Cases: Quality Protection? And Other Options

Like many people I'm in the market for a new Q case. I keep coming back to the Speck ToughSkin because of its looks and protection, but then I hear about its flaws.

Let me start out by saying I have a case right now, a form fit leather case that came with my phone from Alltel. I really like it, but I hate the way it protects the screen and covers the keyboard. The plastic will occasionally get stuck to the screen both blurring the screen a bit and making it a little difficult to remove from the case. Also, pressing the buttons is made slightly more difficult around the softkeys. I had to set my phone to "Press any key to answer." on phone calls because I could rarely press "Answer" easily with my thumb.

I've considered cutting out the plasic over the keyboard, but did not like the idea that dust and small objects could get up under the plastic and potentially damage the screen. Which brings me to what I want:

1) I want a case that leaves the keyboards exposed, but protects the screen well. The screen is my #1 thing to protect. A scratch on the exterior would bother me for sure, but it wouldn't hinder utility like a nice one accross the screen.

2) I want good overall protection. I don't plan on dropping it, but who does?

3) I'd rather keep the phone in my pocket, but a clip or holster isn't really a negative.

4) I don't want to add a lot of extra bulk or weight.

5) Camera is uncovered for the sake of picture quality, but has some protection around it to keep it from rubbing directly against anything.

6) I plan to stick my SD card in once and leave it, so whether that's covered or not makes no difference to me. I don't use the IR port.

7) I'm not really a "pouch guy". I use my Bluetooth headset to answer calls and talk, but I use I'm a bit of a power user at times so it's in my hands more than in my pocket while on a call. I want protection from slight drops.

The Speck ToughSkin really seemed to meet all of my above needs, but the reported tearing bothered me. Why does it tear? I know the rubber is thin around the USB port, but did it just pop one day or was it because you snagged something? I just want at least some good use out of the case before it starts to tear.

I also read the screen protector still allowed scratches, perhaps even caused them. I chalked this up to human error installing it upside down, installing with dust/particles underneath, or something similar. I figured possible human error because most reviews rave the screen protector is fantastic because it sits just above the screen on silicon and stays put. Also, how easily can you use the D-pad, more specifically the up button?

I was also considering something like BestSkinEver, and the like, but I was concerned that either they covered the camera lens and that it might lower picture quality or that if they did not cover the lens it would scratch.

I also looked at the Speck SeeThru and other plastic cases, but it looked like they all had a slot under the screen protector to allow debris to enter.

I could go on forever after looking through all the different websites and stores. What really hurts is my local stores don't carry more than 1 or 2 Moto Q cases, if that, that I've seen. Any opinions?
  2. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

Sounds like you know what you want....but 1 word of advice....you will want to take that SD card out to transfer files, otherwise it will take much longer and you may get errors transferring large files. I have found this to be the case for me and some others. I would get a SD card reader if your pc does not have one built in (sorry, i know your post was about cases)

And now for the cases, I think lots of people have had success with the Speck cases, there are many many threads on cases with lots of pictures and reviews. Give it a search and see what comes up....
  3. wlatch

wlatch New Member

I have had a Speck Toughcase since I got my Q from Sprint in April. The case is great. No scratches on the original screen. The only tear, more of a rub thru, I currently have is on the side where the holster grips, which actually makes it easier to get in and out of the holster. The holster to me is the only downfall of this product. You defiantly don't have to worry about it falling out of the holster, but you do have to worry about getting it out before the phone call goes to voicemail. That holster keeps a death grip on the case. All and all, I have liked the case alot and after numerous drops, the exterior could still go as a brand new phone.
  4. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll remember the SD card advice and remember to use my card reader if I ever want to move some music over, or whatever.

I'm glad to hear your ToughSkin is still going strong Wlatch. One question, you said the exterior of the phone still looks brand new - Do you mean the case or the actual phone? I ask because one complaint I noticed was that the ToughSkin rubbed off the phone's color, but this seemed to ironically only be a complaint with the black Qs. Of course I'd also like the case to continue looking new :laugh2:
  5. wlatch

wlatch New Member

Guerrilla, I was refering to the original Q case looking brand new (under the skin). I have the Grey Q from sprint and notice no "rub" marks. As for the black rubber spec case, it looks fine. There is some dust in the nooks and grannies of the case, but im sure that could be clean off if I felt like it!!
  6. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

That's great news, mine arrives Friday just in time to be a birthday present to myself :laugh2:
  7. fusion1

fusion1 Member

I have the black toughskin case and the holster is a PITA to get in and out of. The top prongs that hold it in scrape against the rubber and I can see it eventually wearing a hole in those 2 spots (poor design Speck!!!!) Worse than that is the fact that the phone is UNUSEABLE when it is in the holster. This was the oddest part to me as any other holster I've ever owned still had the display side facing out so you could still see who was calling and be able to use the phone. Whose genious idea was it to make the phone unuseable? I mean it's great if you were wanting to protect the phone from toxic chemicals or if you were in construction or something but who would be carrying a Q in those environments??? When I first got the case I was struggling to get it in the case and I was struggling even more than normal as I put it in the way I thought it SHOULD go in. It will fit but damn it's like you almost have to shoe horn it in, but honestly that is the way it should go in to be useable.

I have noticed the bottom rubber part is getting loose and I have only taken it out of the case maybe 5 times since I've owned it (all due to Opera Browser lockups). If this case lasts a year I will be surprised, and for the $29.99 I paid I was expecting more.
  8. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

I've never owned a holster that didn't cover up the displays on a phone. On my RAZR's holster the outside display and camera lens faced the clip to protect them and I liked that. I don't want things getting scratched up because I lean against a wall or bump into something.

I do not plan to use the holster, but Imaybe I will when I'm at work because I do work in an enviorment like you mentioned :tounge: I work at the global manufacturing plant for a pharmaceutical company and I hate walking through the manufacturing areas to check computers enough without having to worry about protecting sensitive areas of my cell phone. Plus, I use a Bluetooth headset, so I have no reason to remove my phone from a holster except to do PDA work.
  9. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Well here are pictures of the loose rubber that holds the bottom of the Q, does everyone's get this stretched out after only removing a few times????

[​IMG]

Here are pictures of the way they SHOULD have designed the case to fit the Q outward. Like I said it does fit but it's probably not good for the case as the 2 prongs scrape it as you take the Q in and out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. fusion1

fusion1 Member

And every other phone I have ever owned had the holster/belt clip to where you could use the phone. Having the phone unuseable while it's in the holster is retarded. Why bother carrying the phone then if you can't use it? Might as well leave it home.

My Nextel i860 certainly didn't get hindered like this Speck Q case did. The factory Motorola holster or the aftermarket leathercase/belt clip works normally and intuitively, same goes for my old Samsung A460 or Sanyo 4920. Here's the i860 to show what I mean:

[​IMG]

Honestly the first time I realized the case was supposed to go in like this:

[​IMG]

I was like WTF?????
  11. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Here's a pic of one prong that scrapes the rubber case ( both prongs scrape the rubber) when you take it in and out of the holster:

[​IMG]

Like I said within a year I bet this wears a hole through it. Will Speck honor their replacement warranty?

Also I feel the small strip of rubber below the screen will eventually snap especially if you remove the case and have to re-insert the screen protector on a semi regular basis.
  12. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

I personally don't care if I can see/use my phone in a holster. To me it seems pretty silly to take the whole holster off my belt to use the phone. Clearly you don't like the case, but I think people like me will get good use out of case like the ToughSkin.
  13. easyrunning

easyrunning New Member

I trimmed down the length of the front prongs on the Speck belt clip and now I can actually get it in and out without a fight.
  14. wlatch

wlatch New Member

easyrunning, how exactly did you "trim down" the prongs?? maybe speck will find this thread and send us all a Version 2 toughskin!!
  15. easyrunning

easyrunning New Member

I just cut off the prongs just after the first bend in them. That eliminated the hooking over the case. And with the slight angle still left, I have a good but not to tight of a grip on the top of the Q.
  16. shaggymatt

shaggymatt New Member

I just ordered a Piel case for my Q the other day. This is the third case/holster so far for me. I couldn't quite bring myself to get a Vaja, I actually prefer the classic, with a couple business card pouches, but it doesn't seem to have those.

The first holster was the included plastic one, for a couple months, till it of course started wearing on the phone.

Next up was the Verizon black leather one. I actually like this case. But... I just had my phone replaced because the center silver button was stuck down. I looked at the case more closely, and you have the magnets and the Verizon logo all right on top of that button which makes it the highest point on the phone. I can only imagine that it led to the demise of the phone. So my case selection required ample protection for the buttons. My father had a button failure on his Q recently as well. With only a few months left on warranty, it is time to get some phone protection!
  17. fusion1

fusion1 Member

How long is the standard warranty for the Q?