Something is wrong with my phone

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by aleidfse, Nov 10, 2010.

1. aleidfse

aleidfse New Member

I love my new phone but sometimes when i'm searching for an app or downloading one or downloading from the zune store my phone freezes and when i leave the zune app or the app store and try to go back into the app the phone will try to load the app and then kicks me out to the home screen. The only way i can solve this problem is to restart the phone , is this normal? do i need to return my phone? how do i fix this problem.
  2. termleech

termleech Member

I've had the same issue with the marketplace and the bing search. I don't think it anything to do with you phone but rather an issue with the software that needs to be resolved. There are some performance issues that MS needs to resolve. Being a rev 1 phone I expected to see a few.
  3. aleidfse

aleidfse New Member

would it be an issue with the internal memory? i just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the phone so i can return it before 30 days
  4. termleech

termleech Member

Unlikely but I guess you can always take it back and exchange it just to be sure. My guess is it's software related (something with the latency of the connection) but I can't say for sure.
  5. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I haven't had these problems yet. Spent plenty of time in the marketplace today, no problems. Odd. Is it consistent?
  6. muddtt

muddtt Member

happened to me once. hasn't happened again.
  7. alejovh1

alejovh1 New Member

nothing here, so far everything is working ok
  8. aleidfse

aleidfse New Member

ImirOfGroofunkistan and chris like this.
  9. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I've encountered that issue a couple of times. Thankfully, the reboot process for the OS is pretty quick.
  10. timber

timber Member

Well, I've had somewhat similar issues with my 1st Focus (NO SD CARD INSTALLED!!!). Basically I was surfing the web yesterday (11/13) and attempted to go to a website, then screen went black and only the time was showing.....nothing would work, none of the capacitive buttons, it just sat there for minutes. I held the power button down and the phone tried to shut off but then hung on the "goodbye" screen for over 10 minutes. I finally gave up and pulled the battery, waited a minute, then restarted my phone.

It seemed to reboot multiple times on the "Samsung" screen and then finally fully booted however things weren't in a very good state. I got error messages when trying to sync e-mail. All my e-mails wouldn't display the body text, giving a "were sorry error". Applications downloaded from the marketplace had white starburst icons. When I attempted to open a downloaded application, I got two different outcomes.....sometimes the selection animation would engage and then the app would immediately die and I'd get the close application animation.....other times the screen would go black with just the clock showing and the phone would reboot.

I decided then that I just needed to hard reset the phone......but even that wouldn't work. All my information, apps, etc were still there after the hard reset completed. I then decided to try the button push hard reset.....same result except this time the application icons came back except the phone had the same outcome when trying to launch apps, look at e-mail, etc.

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed so I took my phone to get swapped at AT&T. They were astonished by how it was acting. They tried to hard reset the device just as I did, and they couldn't believe it wouldn't do it.....so they swapped it out for a new unit. Unfortunately this new unit has capacitive button issues (the back and search buttons just stop working and presses won't register randomly) that I didn't experience previously on my first unit. I'm beyond frustrated with my experience with Windows Phone 7 so far and can't believe I'm going to have to go back to AT&T for a 3rd time for yet another swap out. If this is as good as it gets I'm going to head elsewhere! It really bums me out because I really liked the experience overall so far unit my 1st Focus freaked out!

Anyone else have similar problems with device integrity or capacitive button functionality?
  11. alejovh1

alejovh1 New Member

I can't beleive you are having so many issues with your phone. Mine has been working fine with the exception of the marketplace crashing every now and then.
  12. muddtt

muddtt Member

u got some bad luck friend.
  13. Hologram

Hologram New Member

ditto, well i went into the ATT store today to show my gf the samsung focus and they had it on a charger but it would not boot up while it had the usb charged connected. The sales rep had to unplug it and turn the phone on and then it came on and put the usb charger back in and then the phone went to a white empty battery icon with plugs. I was bummed but i played with one the day before at another att store and just wanted to show my gf the screen comparisons of the 2. Needless to say the sales rep seemed somewhat flustered at it as well
  14. timber

timber Member

Well, good news......I went to AT&T yet again to see what they thought about the buttons not functioning (mainly search and sometimes back).....at first of course the phone was working just fine, but then, low and behold, the search button stopped working for an extended period of time even through a hard reset! The reps were like, man, you must have just gotten 2 bad ones, lets hope the 3rd time is a charm! Well, I can say so far so good, as this one has NO issues with the buttons as of yet.....hopefully it won't freak out like my first one either!
  15. muddtt

muddtt Member

i'll cross my fingers for you.
  16. Steven Elliott

Steven Elliott New Member

The only thing I have noticed with my phone is that the touch screen isn't as responsive as the iPhone at least for me. Then also the skips or stuttering screen scroll. However, that I believe will be fixed through streamlined app updates. I guess that's better than the death grip lol.
  17. ImirOfGroofunkistan

ImirOfGroofunkistan New Member

My focus has "frozen" like this 3 times so far. It's done it twice while I've been listening to music and once elsewhere. What happens is you can get to the start screen and tap on any tile or program which says loading... and then fails to load and kicks you back to the start screen. Fully turning off/on the phone seems to fix the problem, but I can't have this happening once a day...

Is this problem specific to the focus or are other phones seeing this behavior?
  18. ImirOfGroofunkistan

ImirOfGroofunkistan New Member