Some Interesting Info About the Q9hS (Sliver)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by n99hockey, Sep 25, 2008.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

2. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

I thought the hardware was the same

I thought that there were no hardware differences between the new Q9 Global silver and the Q9 Global black, other than cosmetic changes. This article seems to suggest that there were hardware changes which would allow over the air updates. Does anyone know if this feature is available on the Q9 global black with the 6.1 update? I know we have that Windows update feature, but they say this is not what they are referring to.
  3. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I wonder how solid those claims about improved battery life are?
    If a significant number of folks who have experiences with both phones can confirm this, I may just arrange for my current phone to have an accident and hope my insurance plan will net me a silver Q.
    I just wished they kept the black color scheme.
  4. Njsurfrgurl

Njsurfrgurl New Member

I just updated to WM 6.1 and i can say that my battery life (stayed at a stead 100 % all day) just with the new windows system is better as well as the volume. Its scared the crap out of me when i got my first phone call because it was much louder then the loud setting on the previous window mobile edition. This is without the crystal talk too. So it might just be the update from AT&T having additional stuff. IDK.
    Depending how i feel i have an upgrade in Nov soo i might get the new one lol
  5. n99hockey

i would say it is not available in the black version ONLY the silver
  6. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

Would there have to be a separate FCC filing if they made hardware changes?
  7. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

According to the article, OTA updates are only on the Q9S and the Q9h cannot be upgraded to allow for OTA updates.
  8. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Njsufrgurl.... the tricky thing with comparing battery life is that individual usage varies greatly.
    For me, I have email being polled every hour, a weather app updating every hour, I surf the web frequently, I download rss feeds frequently. I have to keep the phone on EDGE network just to keep all three bars until 8 - 9pm..that's when I lose a bar.
  9. n99hockey

you wont upgrade!:tounge:
  10. Njsurfrgurl

Njsurfrgurl New Member

I have just about the same that you do...i might text more and i have 3 emails being uploaded every hour...and still good.
    My problem now has nothing to do with battery more so dropped calls...the damn 3G network with the ghey iphone horrible

and i will upgrade now just cause you said that Scott lol
  11. marklichengwu

marklichengwu New Member

I have the black one, and on the black one, if you go to "settings" and then go all the way to "Windows Update" you can configure the device to get over the air updates manually or automatically. Maybe this is the same thing.
  12. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

In that article, it said:

To clarify one thing: this is not the completely un-utilized “Windows Update” feature found in Windows Mobile 6 and beyond, it is a separate program and presumably requires a mix of software and hardware that is unique to the Q9hS.

I had hoped that this was what it was, but they seem to be saying that it is something different.

I went by my local AT&T store and looked through the programs and settings on the new silver version. One of the version numbers under SETTINGS - PHONE INFORMATION was different. I think it was called MBM. That was the only difference I could see in terms of software or ROM versions. I'm not saying that there weren't others, but this was the only one I could find.

I did find one other difference in the settings menu. My phone (q9 global black) has a setting called POWER MANAGEMENT. The silver version had an additional setting called POWER SAVER or something like that. I'm not referring to the option under POWER MANAGEMENT, where you can change the backlight timeout and enable smart backlight. This was a completely different menu option. On my phone, POWER MANAGEMENT is #4 on the second page under settings followed by AUDIO ENHANCEMENT as #5. The silver version had POWER SAVER as #5 just below POWER MANAGEMENT. When you went to that screen, it had an option for NORMAL or POWER SAVER. If you changed that setting, it required a reboot to enable the change. This must be something like the XScale processor I had on my Dell Axim X50v where the processor speed was variable. I think I read something somewhere mentioning this.
  13. k_semler

k_semler New Member

What is the FCCID of the new Q9hS? (found on the back of the phone underneath the battery)
  14. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

I didn't think to check that when I was at the AT&T store. Of course, they would probably have wondered why I was removing the battery from their display unit. Hopefully someone who has the silver model can post this info.
  15. JJL

JJL New Member

The FCCID is identical on the Q9H black and the Q9H silver, IHDT56HW1 on both. I have had the silver for about (6) weeks and have noticed no difference.
  16. k_semler

k_semler New Member

Given that information, it proves that the internals of the Q9h and the Q9hS are identical. Otherwise, it would require a separate filing with the FCC. Therefore, the only differences that exist between the two models are the firmware, the fancy silver chassis, and a slightly different keyboard layout (shift now says "caps" and the function button says "Fn").

Do you happen to know the build number of the firmware that is included with the Q9hS?
  17. theonemanarmy

theonemanarmy New Member

The unbranded European WM 6.1 ROM have that POWER SAVER option listed at #5 too.
  18. lhbalesjr

lhbalesjr New Member

The unbranded European WM 6.1 ROM have that POWER SAVER option listed at #5 too. __________________
    ...theonemanarmy...

Given these two facts, would this mean that the Black version should be capable of those over the air updates and that power saver option? Does the unbranded European WM 6.1 have the GPS option?
  19. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle New Member

My black q9h has a caps key (no shift) and a Fn button on the left side. Sounds like the same keyboard layout as the silver.. and looking at the pic's of the silver, it does seem to have the same keyboard as my q9h (global).
  20. k_semler

k_semler New Member

My Q9h, (which started off life as a Q9e), does not say "Fn" on the function key, and the shift key only has an arrow pointing up with no text on it.