Software update?

Discussion in 'Alltel' started by Freedog, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Freedog

Freedog New Member

Software update?

So, I heard a rumor from an Alltell employee that we're going to be getting an update for our Q's through Alltell. Has anybody heard this yet and what is it going to include? My source is a new employee and didn't hear the whole story.
  2. sdebbold

sdebbold New Member

i heard the same thing. i ordered my Q Thursday and they told me it might be a little while because they were updating them and wanted to send me an updated version so i wouldnt have any problems
  3. Spencer-Scott

Spencer-Scott New Member

well did they send you the update
  4. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

That would be some interesting news indeed, not holding my breath, but wouldn't it be a great start to 2008 if they were going to enable MMS! :tounge:
  5. Freedog

Freedog New Member

I haven't gotten it yet.
  6. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I sent Alltel another email this am voicing concerns about the lies and rumors the sales ppl are telling, again. Maybe if I bug them enough about this issue they will come down on the retail stores sales ppl. We are riding on the backbone of Sprints towers & using their data servers for Axcess Apps, text, mms, etc. Sprint is refusing to update their towers/data servers to accomodate a low percentage of ppl who own Moto Q's. Yes, they are renting towers from Verizon, too, but they aren't renting the "right to use Axcess App's". I can't find out if Alltel has any plans to update the "data servers" or not on their own. But given the past and current record I wouldn't bet on it. I'm still trying to find more reliable sources but my time is limited but if I find out anything I will post. Hopefully all of you will too.
  7. onefix

onefix New Member

I wouldn't count on a software upgrade. Everyone else has went to the Q9 which is a Windows Mobile 6 device. What they were probably talking about is a switch to the Q9c which is the next version of the Q and the next logical step for Alltel. The page below lists the Q9c for Alltel, but also states that it's not yet available. http://www.wirefly.com/catalog/alltel_wireless/motorola/q9c/ Before the Q9c becomes available I would expect some sort of month long deal on the original Q (maybe free with activation of a smart choice plan).
  8. Freedog

Freedog New Member

Uh...no. There's actually a software update out there. It's not an update to WM6. It's an update to WM5. I know it's out there I just haven't bothered to follow up on it. I'm being told that all your info has to be backed up though. Where are the contact folders located?
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it's not really an update of WM5 either, it's Motorola firmware.. and yes, it wipes the phone close to clean.

contacts are not in a folder, they are in a file called pim.vol which is located in the root of the device.
  10. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

personaly, I would check and see what this "update" does before hand. Why rebuild the phone or possibly brick it for a minimal update?

/ my .02
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Yea..I went through the trauma of going from 3 to 4 and I've seen no difference.

Wait....some numbers changed under phone settings, that's right!
  12. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

MOL 4 for Sprint was just some updated roaming tables..big fricking deal :-/
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Ahhh...cool! That's why I noticed nada! Thanks Mike!
  14. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Just got an email from Tech Support and there will be NO MMS update for the current Moto Q. They are working "desperately" on the new servers so the new Q, and some BlackBerry's will be able to have MMS. (First Quarter of this year?) So sorry for so much dis-information that everyone has been told in the past. That's all, folks. Now let's move on and and just complain about the service! :laugh2:
  15. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

when they say "desperately" do they mean desperately grasping at straws/pulling hair out or actually doing something? :-p

/ carrier bashing
  16. ljblock

ljblock New Member

I did the update and wish I had not, all it did for me was create alot of extra work re-building the phone.
  17. txfiremedic

txfiremedic New Member

Got a "Free Alltel MSG" today that says Motorola Q Software Update Required- To get the most out of your Q visit alltel.com/software for more details and to download the new software. Anyone hear of what this update is and does??
  18. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

It just redirects you to the Motorola Update page where it will update you to MOL4, you can read more about that here.

I've done the update and the best thing it did from me was that it forced me to do a hard reset and reinstall all my apps. I have a nice clean Q now. :)

I also have a new PRL of 30031, not that I expect that to do much for me! :-(

Craig
  19. Woodster34

Woodster34 New Member

Stuck w/WM5 on Q

For all those that jumped the gun and got a regular Q such as myself, we are all stuck with WM5 for it. I emailed Alltel the other day and was told that there will be NO upgrade to WM6 for the Q, so I guess it's get a Q9c or live with 5. Thanks Alltel. :angry:
  20. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

it wasn't just Alltel, none of the other carriers upgraded their Q1 line beyond WM5. That kind of upgrade is rather rare.