So many new Q9c's crashing... new phenomena or old news?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Irondad, Apr 18, 2008.

1. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

I donno, could it be possible that it has to do with like a later software version or something. Or is it possible a bad sd card is causing it? But who knows....maybe people just post when it sucks....i wonder how widespread it really is....
  2. rgraha

rgraha New Member

Hard reset my MotoQ 9C

Thanks to the person who suggested the hard reset from the center button. It recovered my Q from the "M" splash screen. This is my second Sprint Moto in a little less than 2 months. First one locked at the "sprint speed enabled screen" and the techs just gave me a new one at the sprint repair center. Of course I lost all my settings.

But I was ready for it this time with Sprite Backup. I had the forethought to purchase Sprite Backup and store the backup files to my SD card. Less than 5 minutes later I was back to where I was last Wednesday. I've set it to back up every day now and save the backup restore file on the SD card. I also back up to my PC as well. But if I'm on a road trip and don't have the PC handy it's nice to know I can restore from the file on my memory card. This was the best purchase I've made for my MotoQ.

Also find lots of great insights on this forum.

Thanks to all who share their thoughts.
    Roy in KC
  3. BigKoont

BigKoont New Member

Had my Q9c since december. It used to freeze up on me until I started manageing my memory space. Once the memory is full, you can't do anything. I have to pull the battery to restart mine. I put task manager as my right soft key so I can kill programs quickly. Playing music on the media player and surfing the net will surely lock-up my phone, I don't know about yalls. And, the little battery level indicator in the top right corner is not accurate. Once the battery gets low, my Q really acts retarded. But, since I put my task manager as my right soft key my freezes have been minimal. And I have text predict on. Oh, and another thing I do is delete files in the "volitile" folder. Question, since these phones are like mini- computers and you can get on the internet, is it possible to get a virus on your phone? Just wondering if the viruses would freeze up the phones possibly sometimes.
  4. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

so maybe me being like a super stickler about putting stuff on the "actual phone" has paid off............I have still with 50+ applications 50% free space on my phone.....and when it really gets low, the ram is at like 3mb but then it starts killing stuff (see my pissed off because it kills my music when I am trying to use smartgear or opera mobile posts)

but the actual hard hd has 50% free roughly anyway
  5. cynlew

cynlew New Member

I bought a Q9C for my husband on 4/11 and over the weekend it froze up, stuck on the M screen. I had to take it back but Sprint was cool about it and immediately swapped it out. It was still within 30 days but I better get the Total Equipment Protection just in case it happens again. I wonder if they'd still swap it outside of the 30 days since it sounds like it's a pretty common issue.

6. cptpike

cptpike New Member

Yeah, I'm a part of the "stuck on the windows mobile start screen" club. Well I'm not really excited. So My Q9c starts acting flaky and I restart it. One master reset later, I'm re-installing everything. Guess I'll be buying sprite backup.

I've done a bit of thinking and realized that the Q9c is my only phone option. The treos are too bulky, the mogul and touch are too buggy and the ACE has it's problems as well. Anyone else got a suggestion phone wise? I've really considered dumping sprint and going with an iPhone. Well, when the new one comes out anyway. I don't really like AT&T so that's not really an option. Sheesh.
  7. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

Do ya see the pattern? Most anything with Windows Mobile has crashing problems - it's a price we pay for the usability. The phone itself is great (the HTC Products are great, too; I really do miss my 6700 - not so much my Mogul or Touch), and I've come to prefer WM standard to 'professional'.

Mine 'green-screened' today but 2 soft-resets got it back working. I was trying to uninstall fizzweather; I usually only have problems when I'm adding and deleting programs - I just can't leave good enough alone:laugh2:, and usually return to the same setup I was changing.

The 3G iPhone may be great, but still GSM. I've never had a BB product, but this curve and even 8830 seems interesting. So many good things are coming down the pike, and my contract will be up in December; time for all the new toys to be out and time for a change. Hopefully still with Sprint.
  8. cptpike

cptpike New Member

I definitely see a pattern. I've been using WM since ppc 2003. I know they are all buggy, I just wasn't expecting a lockup this early on. I've not really installed much and I'm always on top of my memory (learned that from years of use). It just made me cry a little inside when my Q locked up today.
  9. rgraha

rgraha New Member

The key word for me now is "Backup"

I've gotten to be pretty anal about backing up my Q 9c lately. Sprite Backup really is a life saver. I set it to backup my system and personal files every night at 2 AM. I have it set to backup to my SD storage card and I can avoid reinstalling any applications that way. I also install any application I can on the SD card rather than the Device itself. I keep as many things off the device as I can. I backup to my PC at work daily when I first sync it up as well just to be safe. I also put SK Tools Standard on (only version that works on 9c) and keep my Ram freed up. Task Manager helps shutdown the stuff that keeps running in the background and taking up resources.

I think it's easy to think of these little guys as a regular desktop and keep jamming apps on them and forget they're a very lite-mini version of Windows. In the case of the 9c it's probably Vista lite since it appears to run as well as Vista does on desktops...:smile::smile::smile:

I also looked long and hard at the phones available and I wanted to stick with Sprint to have the Simply Everything plan since I plan to shut off my land lines soon. I ordered an ACE but no Voice Recognition. The Pearl also doesnt' have the same features I wanted. The 9c was it. The first 9c only lasted 3 weeks and froze at the "Sprint ahead" screen. Now that I know how to do a hard reset and recover with my backup files I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have the tiny beast under control.

Good luck.
    Roy in KC
  10. cptpike

cptpike New Member

Great post Roy. That pretty much sums it all up. The Q9c is the best phone for me that's available right now. I'll just have to get used to it's quirks.

On another note. Has any installed opera mobile on their SD card? I did last night and noticed the program running horribly. I uninstalled it, ran sktools, deleted the old config files, and re-installed it on the device. Opera is back to running normal. Are their none issues with other programs running poorly on the SD card?
  11. jlinden

jlinden New Member

So does anyone have anymore insight on the freezing issue? My phone has frozen about 4 times now. Each time requiring a hard-reset :(

Called Sprint today and they told me they can ship me a refurbished phone for $55. This really sucks because I've only had this thing for 2 months... I guess I should've purchased the equipment protection plan. The tech acknowledged that Q9c's are known to have freezing issues.

Anyways, I'm going to see how long I can go until my next "freeze". Maybe I'll bring it in to a repair center and see what they say. I wonder if it's a hardware issue or problems with the Windows Mobile OS?
  12. kcrlshell

kcrlshell New Member

Oh bummer

Geez you guys. I'm sitting here waiting for UPS to deliver my new Q9c (been using an original Q with no problems for a long time, but have to change my carrier) and this thread is really depressing...:embarassed:

Shell
  13. cptpike

cptpike New Member

This maybe just me but, ever since I ran HTCunlock my phone has been awesome. No lockups and allot faster. Could be a fluke but, it's been solid (knock on wood) since.
  14. jlinden

jlinden New Member

I ran HTC unlock on my phone as well. It does run faster after all the hacks are applied but I still get all the freezing issues. So far 5 master resets since I've had the phone. I've only had it for 2 months....
  15. orangeneptune

orangeneptune New Member

I couldn't tell you why it happens but I do know that I don't trust Sprint to fix it. My Q9c froze on the Windows start screen 1 week after I got it. I ran to the local Sprint store (non-corporate) and we spent three hours on the phone with tech support. Finally they told me there was no fix for the freeze. When I asked if there was a way to do a hard reset, tech support told me "no" and that I needed to send my Q in and that they would send me a replacement after they'd received me Q.

Instead of sending my Q in I came back to EverythingQ and looked up the instructions for a hard reset. Phone worked fine after that... for a while. After only 1 more week my phone bricked. It would not boot past the Motorola logo. I tried a hard reset but it wouldn't work. Luckily, Sprint accidentally shipped me my replacement phone without me having to send in my original. I took the new phone to the local Sprint store where they did an ESN swap. My new phone hasn't frozen yet but it's only been 2 weeks. I guess we'll see.
  16. blondie

blondie New Member

Me three

When i first got my phone i had to do a Master reset twice in as many days the first week i had it. Since then it has been good. But it happened today again. Now i can't even do the Master reset. It won't go past the "M" screen. It just goes black.

Sprint doesn't seem to have an answer for this. Good thing i put insurance on my phone after the Master Reset incident the first week!
  17. igotaq

igotaq New Member

I would recommend doing the software update that came out 2 days ago.
    Go to motorola.com/update
  18. blondie

blondie New Member

I am trying, but my phone is not connecting via the USB either so the motorola update software does not see my phone.

This is depressing... i love this phone, hate this problem.
  19. igotaq

igotaq New Member

Go to start - Settings - Connections - USB to PC and make sure that Advanced networking functionality is Checked. This box must be checked in order for the update tool to see your phone.\

Also make sure you use the USB ports in back of the PC. dont use a docking station port if you are using a laptop.
  20. blondie

blondie New Member

I have used active synch before, and for a short time this morning it "saw" my phone bus said it had to have a fully chaged battery to do the update. I was going to continue to charge it and closed the update software. Now restarting the update software, it doesn't see it anymore. It's the phone.

Thanks for the suggestions tho