So many new Q9c's crashing... new phenomena or old news?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Irondad, Apr 18, 2008.

1. matthewjohn

matthewjohn New Member

The date on mine is 3-3-08. As I said in another post I woke up last week and my Q was dead. After I charged it for 3 hrs and would not turn on I took it to Sprint. They said it was a dead batt and replaced my charger. Today the phone has totally dumped all my settings (registy included) when I power it down. No matter what I change it comes back up default settings on a reboot. So far it has not "locked up" on me but it is still as useless.
  2. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

<- is glad he has NOT had any problems with his q9c
  3. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

just to chime in; my Q9c's box says 2008-03-01 and hasn't crashed yet, although I tend to soft reset frequently (well-used to WM mobile, coming from 6700/mogul/touch). Almost always, some prog doesn't play nice.

I am having concerns over the camera quality compared to HTC products, all of which took great photos; photos of red objects taken with the Q9 turn out orange - none of the adjustments help.

To continue with original theme of this thread, how about checking the camera and build date, post your impressions and we can develop a database of possible 'bad batch' of phones.
  4. raiderq9c

raiderq9c New Member

I'm pretty sure that all q9c's have some sort of problem or should be a paper weight. I'm on my third q9 and it is no better than any of the others. Not only does it still lock up but it is extremely slow. I have had every problem with these phones that everyone talks about on this board. I have also tried numerous fixes. But ultimately resort to going back to sprint to pick up a new one. I like the way the phone is set up and the accessibility. Just wish there was a fix for the locking up.
    My following problems were

Phone 1) Repeated Phone error message to the point where i could not make a call and would lock up with the opening of any program

Phone 2) Phone froze while locked, unable to unlock or do a master reset. tried everything.

Phone 3) Praying that it will not brick!!
  5. op12

op12 New Member

Ditto! No probs here either.
  6. weee96

weee96 New Member

I had to master reset (phone got stuck on WM screen) 1 week after I got mine, most likely due to software install (I had gone a bit wild on the add ons and blame that for the issue) and have had no problem since. I still get the occasional freezing for 10 seconds and overall WM sluggishness but im pretty used to it now and 95% of the phone works perfect. All smartphones have their problems, from blackberries to nokias, they are mini computers and we all know computers over time have issues.
  7. zimmebri

zimmebri New Member

Hi, NoOb here. I have the exact same brick/lockup issues that others are describing. Having owned the first version of the q from sprint I felt that I knew my way around the phone. I had numerous 3rd party apps on the old phone I never once had to do a hard reset.

While the 9qc is more attractive it has me questioning the upgrade. Within 4 days of ownership I had to perform a hard reset. Two more hard resets over 1 weeks time left the phone in a “white screen of death” (white screen is all that would display when hitting power button). I took the phone to a store and swapped it for an identical.

The 2nd phone has a born on date of 3-3-08. It has just experienced its 2nd lockup in two weeks. This phone has been marginally better but I am running it naked – no 3rd party apps. My most recent lockup occurred because I noticed my battery was becoming low so I powered down. When I powered back I had a stuck splash screen.

I doubt all of these posts to be just a coincidence. My biggest fear is that I end up with a Treo or a Mogul, phones I really don’t want.
  8. dtp

dtp New Member

I'll agree, mine worked ok for a month and now it's constantly running slow, I uninstalled software, disabled autocomplete etc... This is not an acceptable product and will be the last motorola product I buy. It would be a great phone if it ran right, I just wish I found this board before buying it to see how many problems people have with these.

What infuriates me is if I have an emergency, I can not trust this phone.
  9. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

Yeah, same here :laugh2:. The only lag and slowdown I had was when I was running MSN Direct on a home screen. Have since removed it. I repeat, alost always these problems can be traced to some proggie.
  10. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

My mother's Q9C just got stuck in the WM screen. And she hasn't done any software installations or configured any email accounts. There's something screwy with this phone for sure.

Also, she's having a hard time doing a master reset now. Are there any tips to getting the procedure right? she holds down the center key for 5 seconds or 30 seconds it still gets to the WM screen and doesn't prompt for master reset like my Q
  11. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

try holding down z & e
    that works on the 9m and 9h...maybe the 9c as well
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Strange, the center button always works for my Q9c.
  13. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

q9h uses z and e.
    q9m and q9c uses center button.
  14. cmuchill

cmuchill New Member

just died again

phone #2 just froze again, new phone on the way, anyone think i may get a good one this time?
  15. orangeneptune

orangeneptune New Member

My new Q9c crashed last Friday. Sprint wanted me to wait three days and pay $200 for a replacement. I asked them if there was a way to hard reset the phone (hadn't checked here first) and they said there wasn't any way to reset the device. I told them there was no way I was waiting that long to replace my phone and checked here and found the info for a hard reset. My Q's back to 100% operational.

The crash happened after I set my email to download email messages from the last 30 days (it was set for the last 3 days). I didn't have a memory card installed and after downloading all the message headers and most of the messages it suddenly froze up and would stick on the WM welcome screen on reboot. I wonder if the crash was because I didn't have enough memory in the phone to handle all that email...
  16. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Quite possible, especially if it was set to download the entire message.
  17. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

I had my issues when I set my email to download all. Now that its set to download 3 days worth, no problems.

However, I only had it set to download the first 2k of each messages, with 200 messages thats only 400k, so it shouldn't be a memory thing with that.
  18. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Did you all disable the Text prediction feature and clear the learned dictionary to eliminate that bug as a potential problem? That "seems" to be the issue with the Q9M and echos what people here are going through. Seems the Text prediction eventually gets cooked and slows/locks up the Q. Maybe the folks who have no problems turned it off because they didn't like the feature anyway. Is there anyone here who has NO problems but has the Text Prediction turned ON?
  19. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

text prediction is on for me, and so far i have not had any problems as of yet....i will have to remember if problems do start showing up, to turn that off and try it
  20. theoski

theoski New Member

I think it is a bad batch. I had two moto q9c and the first one never cooked. I had three emails account going including gmail, skype, text predictions, etc. The second one that I got online it gets toasted every other day, both full toast or half toast (where all the icons appear white and all the ie setting are reseted). I am totally sick of it. I think I am still within my 30 days to get it replaced. It gets toasted during random things. Skype. Toasted. Text Message while playing radio half toasted. Woke up one day half toasted. Reset. Gets past the green screen and stack on black (removing the san disk 2gb card helps). I have nothing saved on the card besides music. Dont get me wrong I think Sprint Internet network in the cities beats cingular hands down if my second q9c was stable I would be totally happy.